Space Colonization, Mars, Venus, Saturn etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Colonization, Mars, Venus, Saturn etc

Being a strategy nut, I like to build my empires as far as possible, and one of the things I enjoyed about Test of Time was how they had multiple planets. I believe, if done correctly in Civlization 3, that if Mars, Mercury, Venus, all those planets were included... it would make it extremely better. Especially when you finished Civ2 and you see that spaceship float away, it leaves something else than Alpha Centauri. It left me to think, what about Mars, and all those other planets. Wouldn't the Russians and Americans be battling for those? Wouldn't it be possible to cleanse the Germans from Earth and leave them stranded and restricted to Saturn??? Or for the Chinese to totally control Earth, but still have a threat from outer space, i.e orbital bombardments?

Im just pitching ideas here, but being a scifi fan, I need more than just Earth to conquer, I need planets that bring new minerals, allies even (native aliens?), I need planets that give me the abilility to conquer them also, and I need planets so I can blow them up, much like the obiliteration option in AC. It may sound a bit Star Wars, which I am a fan of, but Civ 3 should expand into Space, considering we all have conquered earth in Civ 2.

Comments? Criticism?

quote:

Wouldn't it be possible to cleanse the Germans from Earth and leave them stranded and restricted to Saturn???

a total and utter newbie and already making enemies...

welcome on board, fella! don't get on my people, I will throw it back to you

------------------
    excerpts from ICQ talks:

Ogga ogga ogg ogg - Provost Harrison
    Never Ming - Builder
    heh - Warning:
    - Ming

AND NOW - THE LONGEST AND MOST SERIOUS POST EVER MADE BY ME!!!

[This message has been edited by Andz83 (edited November 07, 2000).]

Comment

I agree, but I think that the solar system could be comprised of random planets, some of which are inhabitable (though with some work), others are uninhabitable but can be mined for materials.

I don't think that it should go much farther than that because then you get into a situation of infinitely expanding your civ, running into an infinitely number of 'alian' civs, never reaching the boundry of the edge of the universe which there is no end to. So the solar system is as far as you should be able to expand to and only alians native to this solar system should be included.
      I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

Good work Andy... I knew you could make it...

Anyhow, I believe that if we expand it to more then 5 - 10 worlds, it will be too big...

We should have Earth, Earth-Underground, Orbit, Moon, Mars, Venus, Europa, Gandymede (sp?), Titan, and maybe Io (just for harsh enviornments)
        *grumbles about work*

Comment

I'd like to see someone colonize Saturn/Juptier/Neptune/Uranus. Considering they are gas giants!!! But I think that's going a little too far. Maybe a little Alien Invasion and orbital cities and the moon of course but I would go mush farther than that. If you want to check out Birth of the Federation.

------------------
          "I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
          "The best meats' in the rump!"
          I AM CANADIAN!
          CornEmpire Index
          My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
          I AM CANADIAN!
          Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
          CornEmpire Owner/Operator
          Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

I agree. Canuck, definetly check out Birth of the Federation. It will quench your thirst for sci-fi and strategy gaming. As for colonizing other planets...its sounds cool but I wouldn't want to colonize planets just for the sake of it. If that's the case then just play two different civ games at once and pretend you inhabit numerous worlds. Colonizing space should be done for specific reasons in the gameplay. Such as, destruction of earth in a nuclear holocaust or an alien invasion that wipes out most of earth. This would give substance to space colonization instead of a useless new map to just settle and develop a la CTP1.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by CivilizationCanuck on 11-07-2000 04:57 PM
              Wouldn't it be possible to cleanse the Germans from Earth and leave them stranded and restricted to Saturn???
              Comments? Criticism?

I couldn't agree more with what Andy said. Have you gone out of your mind ?!. Sometimes I feel like wanting to cleanse the Americans of the earth, because from time to time they seem so utterly ignorant, arrogant (or whatever frustrates me) like you do now. But what about us dutch ???
              Got anything against our eastern neighbours, are you still living in the past ???.
              Maybe you could be standing model for a new unit, the fool, decreases happiness and increases frustration tolerance.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Comment

Personally I like the idea of having multiple maps that you had in TOT, but I think it should be limited to three or four and each a random selection? Not based on our solar system or as many planets.

------------------
                I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
                I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

settle down, vranks!

we need to show strength now

*shows strength*

Comment

Hey man! Easy on the name-calling. I think he was just using the Germans as an example. Its just a computer game and yeah, if I was playing Civ and the Germans really pissed me off I would like to obliterate their race from the earth just like I would to any race that pissed me off. Its nothing personal.

Comment

Thanks Tical

Easy there guys!

Wouldn't it be possible to cleanse the "Canadians" (happy? It was an example ) from Earth and leave them stranded and restricted to Saturn???
                      Comments? Criticism?

Its not like I have anything against Germans, or Canadians, since I am both, just making it more viable to you instead of saying Faction A, Faction B etc.

I agree that there should be a boundary and not infinite planets and aliens, although a few planets, specifically Mars would be nice. Earth Underground is a interesting idea.

Comment

Hey! Stop insulting us Canadians!

*takes staff and clubs newbie over the head*

Anyhow, as I've always said, any more then 10 maps will be too hard to manage. It would be neat if the maps were to resemble our universe, but if we could have an alternate game (like TOT) where it was magic and clockworks instead of technology, that would be fun too...
                        *grumbles about work*

Comment

Honestly, some of you people need to read what I said.

Comment

It can be nice as long as you keep it simple.

Comment

Hey i'd like to say that i agree 100% the colinization of other worlds would be extremely fun i say we should be able to go out to other nearby planets but only pheasable one's like mars becaues Venus has a extremely hostile environment along with mercury which is so close to the sun its shrinking!! I say in the game one should be able to colinize some of the possibly habitable moons of mars, and jupiter and mars itself. because one day we have to leave the planet for a number of reasons, possibility of nuclear fall out, the ice age which presently is 500 years away approximately, and because earth is becoming extremely over populated and the natural resources are being depleteled also earth is becoming poluted and global warming is possible. There are so many possibilites at this point in time so going on to other worlds would make the game much more fun. thats all

Comment

Working...
                              X