City Parks and National Parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Parks and National Parks

The city park could work as a happiness booster; replacing the temple in the modern age.

The National Park would be a tile improvement and would give +1 happiness across the civ for every 3 bordering squares.

The park could only have roads built in it and no military units could pass on it.

-
    So what does everyone think?
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

quote:

Originally posted by DarkCloud on 11-04-2000 06:49 PM
    The city park could work as a happiness booster; replacing the temple in the modern age.

You might provoke the religious civers here with this suggestion

quote:

The National Park would be a tile improvement and would give +1 happiness across the civ for every 3 bordering squares.

Do you mean a Wonder rather than an Improvement? Some elaboration would clarify things a bit.

quote:

The park could only have roads built in it and no military units could pass on it.

This could pose interesting defence and attack problems.

---
    Having being exposed to Simcity I like the idea of parks as a natural pollution abatement strategy as well. I guess these two positive aspects can be combined in the parks concept.

Comment

i assume what is meant by national parks, is areas of 'natural beauty' that have been restriced from further development, ie no mining, intensive farming, etc. i assume you mean they would be build like any other tile improvement, like irrigation etc.

national parks would have to appear fairly late in the game tho, i couldnt imagine them existing in 2000bc... otherwise tho it seems like a good idea. city parks i think should also appear fairly late on as well, and would work in addition to temples, etc.

Comment

First garden appeared in 6th century Athens. Large areas set aside for leisure, such as the Campus Martius (Hope I spelt that right) in Rome have been with us since before Christ. Personally I'd put it as an improvement allowed by philosophy.

As for national parks being avoided in war- we all remember the cliche "all's fair in love and war".
        "The free market is ugly and stupid, like going to the mall; the unfree market is just as ugly and just as stupid, except there is nothing in the mall and if you don't go there they shoot you." - P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DarkCloud on 11-04-2000 06:49 PM

quote]

But what if a strong neighbour are going to war, and the best way to go is trought this park, will there be possible to use this road for your military just in the crisis, or will there maybe be some unhappiness involved?

------------------
          Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Yes!!
          birteaw@online.no
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

quote:

[font size="2"]Dark Cloud-[/font]
            quote:

[font size="2"]tonic-[/font]
            Do you mean a Wonder rather than an Improvement? Some elaboration would clarify things a bit.

No, I meant a tile improvement.
            -
            For every three tiles that are next to each other that have been declared National Park land it would give you +1 happiness.

quote:

[font size="2"]Nikolai-[/font
            But what if a strong neighbour are going to war, and the best way to go is trought this park, will there be possible to use this road for your military just in the crisis, or will there maybe be some unhappiness involved?

Good idea Nikolai; every turn a military unit is in national parkland, every city will have +1 Unhappiness.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

i stand corrected about the city parks...

Comment

Bump.
                -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Good idea for a city improvement.

------------------
                  I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
                  I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

quote:

Good idea Nikolai; every turn a military unit is in national parkland, every city will have +1 Unhappiness

What if an enemy unit is parked on the parkland. Makes your populace more annoyed with the enemy country?
                    "L33T Master must not eat 'scuzzy' things from trash. Not healthy. Give bad gas." - MegaTokyo
                    "Horses can not be Astronaughts..." - A Servbot

Comment

yep, if they walk through your national park it should definitely make the people unhappy.. id call it an act of war!!

Comment

Good idea beyowulf about the anger at enemy civs, I think that they should take collateral damage because of 'guerilla warriors' every turn they are in national parkland, say 1%-3% per turn.

A good idea would be to seperate national borders with parkland; Canada-US (glacier national park)
                        -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Working...
                        X