Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm here, I e-mailed mark to join the team but somehow an e-mail got lost and so I am just arriving. Looking forward to working with the team. Great job so far!
    There are three types of people in this world:

Those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

Hey gonzo, welcome to the forums.

Looking forward to seeing what work we might be able to get outa you . But till we put you to work, enjoy yourself poking around.

Cya,

Mark
      Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
      Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Hi all,

I would liek to introduce myself. I am willing to join the project (talked already to Mark ). I come from Poland, I am 18 years old. My strong point is my brain so you may expect many new ideas. I can't promiss that the project will be finished faster with me - I can only promiss it will be better.
        I would also like to excuse for any repetitions of already given ideas - I din't have enough tiem yet to get through all the documentation and foru mthreads.

BTW Sorry for my English - it is not my first language.

Comment

Hi Zeldor! Glad to have you in the project

Looking forward to seeing more of your suggestions and/or criticisms. Your ideas on the things we're working on now, or in the near future will be of most help to the project. So if you haven't already, you should try out the demo and let us know what you think. Both the good and the bad will help out the development effort.
          Last edited by Mark_Everson; August 29, 2002, 13:59.
          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Apparently I need to say something too.

I recently checked the Clash website and I've been watching how things have enfolded and so far I have to say it looks good. Keep up the good work!
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Thanks, Rasbelin. Good luck to you with SP also!

Comment

I thought it was about time I downloaded a demo and give it go. It all sounds very intriging!

Sean.
                "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Hi Sean:

Did you ever run the demo? I'd like to hear what your comments are on it. Thanks for stopping by.

-Mark

PS I've read a little of PJO's stuff (mentioned in sig) and really like his writing.

Comment

Thanks Mark.

Yes I have given it a whirl. First off, I must say I think the game conception is excellent. The way population grows, and can be moved. How things are produced. The science model is perfect (science when did a State discover anything?). So, I think there is a winning formula in this game conception.

Now for the actual playing of the demo (ie the helpful stuff). The learning tutorial was very good. However, the other tutorials process the turns far to slowly, if you now what I mean. Also, I never seemed to discover new technology (except once in the first sceniro), though I am not sure why...
                    I also found moving units clumbersome. And if you got it wrong, you cannot seem to correct it.

That is enough for now.
                    Sean.
                    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                    --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Hey Sean, thanks for the feedback!

Originally posted by Sean
                      Yes I have given it a whirl. First off, I must say I think the game conception is excellent. The way population grows, and can be moved. How things are produced. The science model is perfect (science when did a State discover anything?). So, I think there is a winning formula in this game conception.
                      Glad you like the overall design! We think we have winners in most of these areas, but of course we'll probably have a few dogs too along the way.

Now for the actual playing of the demo (ie the helpful stuff). The learning tutorial was very good.
                      Glad to hear it.

However, the other tutorials process the turns far to slowly, if you now what I mean.
                      That is the fault of my economics code. Each square is a little carefully modeled economy, and its too many calculations. We will speed it up, probably for demo 8. Sorry 'bout it in the meantime. I just wasn't expecting our scenarios to have so many populated squares this early.

Also, I never seemed to discover new technology (except once in the first sceniro), though I am not sure why...
                      Not sure what you mean. Never discover a whole new tech, or never see it improve?

I also found moving units clumbersome. And if you got it wrong, you cannot seem to correct it.
                      Laurent has already coded a better approach that we moved to because of feedback on demo 7.1. It should streamline all the things you had gripes with in that area. You can read the detail in the D7.2 proposal thread if you're interested. Demo 7.2 Should be out in less than a week!

Thanks again for the feedback, that's how we get things right that are not ready for prime time!

Cya,

Mark

PS, any further feedback, please put in the D7 thread so we know where to look for it later. . .

Comment

Hello from a far off land!

This project sounds very interesting, given its promise to try to simulate history more accurately. I have many problems with the way that older Civilization-style games look at technological and social progress.

I plan to follow the project's progress as I can.
                        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Thanks Mr. President. And may I say its an honor to have your here are our humble Clash forum! If this kind of game being available is important to you, please check out the current demo, and tell us what you think. Comments on the model discussions are always welcome too.

Comment

Recently downloaded the newest version to give it a shot. Was very impressed I posted about it in another thread in a bit more detail, and also posted in the website and questionaire threads. I check in now and again. Great work guys
                            "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                            You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Thanks to Mark for posting in the StP forums and contributing and telling me of this project. I was now able to download the 7.2 version. I tried it and found it very good. I congratulate you guys in developing a game with good AI and other related things. I cant wait to see more of your project.
                              Thanks for peaking my interest.
                              -J.B.-
                              Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Thanks for the kind words and your comments both orange and Jeremy! When you get a chance, please tell us what you like and don't about demo 7.2. If Diplomacy is of interest, we could use your thoughts in refining our Diplomacy spec also. The thread should be visible.

Cya,

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X