Civ Personalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ Personalities

I've said this in a few topics but never gotten any response, so I am trying
    again.. P.S. This is also in the Tribes 0.1 and An AI Question threads.

There should be sub-personalities as I mentioned in another thread. It may take
    me a while to dig it up but hopefully I will find it.
    Here it is: (It was in my Tribes 0.1 Post)

10. Civ Personalities

[Dark Cloud]
    There should be 5 basic personality types-
    -Warlike
    -Expansionist
    -Neutral
    -Perfectionist
    -Pacifist
    And there should be 2 sub-personalities for each-
    -Warlike has
    1. Fight to the Death (Never gives up after being attacked, almost never gives
    up when losing a war.)
    2. Backstabber (Attacks when least expecting- attacks allies, etc)
    -Expansionist has
    1. Settler Type (Builds many cities)
    2. War Type (Attacks others cities)
    -Neutral has
    1. Warlike (If insulted will attack - will only pay tribute sometimes)
    2. Passifist (If attacked will attack- will pay tribute always)
    -Perfectionist has
    1. City Developer (Builds up cities)
    2. Unit Developer (Builds up armies)
    -Pacifist has
    1. Researcher (Only builds the newest units and buildings)
    2. Developer (Only builds the cheapest units and buildings)
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Sounds good. I like the division of war. There should be something that separates the war-like into the disciplined honor of war like the Japanese, and the brute force and aggression war like that of the Vikings and Germans.

And I think that these definitions should actually mean something. In Civ 2, I only saw some slight evidence of the personalities. I want expect something based on their attitudes. Maybe they should get slight bonuses in the areas where they have strength.
    Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Having 5 personality types is a great idea, but sub-personalities will allow other players to know too much about the other civs, thus sacrificing challenge.

------------------
      JRH

Comment

Actually, I think it makes the game more challenging by helping the AI understand its goals better. One will be fighting very hard to get to the Space Project. Another will just try to anahilate you even if that means destroying itself in the process. And just because you know something about them, doesn't mean that their sub-personalities are completely on display for you.
        Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Having more AI personalities (and not revealing them beforehand) would definitely make the game more interesting. However, I very much doubt a good AI can be programmed for all of them - the "perfectionist" AI in civ2 is utterly useless.

------------------
          No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
          No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

Personally I would like to see each civ have strengths and weaknesses through social engineering (as in SMAC).

Pauses and waits for the abuse ...

------------------
            - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
            Mars Colonizer Mission
            - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
            Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

We already have 5 different civ personalities, jsrhughes98.
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DarkCloud on 10-30-2000 08:28 PM
                We already have 5 different civ personalities, jsrhughes98.

Well, actually, I don't know which version of Civ2 you have, but I have MGE, which only has 3.

------------------
                JRH

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 10-30-2000 12:19 AM
                  Having more AI personalities (and not revealing them beforehand) would definitely make the game more interesting. However, I very much doubt a good AI can be programmed for all of them - the "perfectionist" AI in civ2 is utterly useless.

Agreed. Most easily defeated. I never mind seeing Hammurabi in a game!

Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Working...
                  X