Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing SMAC and SMAC exp under WinXP

Hello,

I expect this has been asked before, but I was unable to find anything about this issue by searching the forums.

My situation is that, having played some Civ 3 I had an intense desire to go back and play SMAC. I also got an AC expansion pack from someone on www.switchouse.com, which arrived today.

The problem is that SMAC doesn't seem to want to install under Windows XP Pro. Autoplay comes up, I click on the install menu choice and then it pauses for a bit. Next thing I know, I'm looking at my desktop again. Same goes for clicking on setup.exe. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ciao,
    V'ger gone
    Write, edit, I've got the pen,
    V'ger gone

can't help you much

i am also running window xp pro. When i first install smac and played the game with newest patch. Some wierd stuff happened the next day when I tried to play. It appears that the game was never installed. So I had to install again and it works fine now.

THe first time when i install i was using autoplay, the second time i manually installed it by using setup file in the CD.

Comment

It installs just fine for me, my only advice would be to go to windows update and ensure you have all the latest compatability updates.

If that doesn't work, possibly checking for updated drivers might be worth a shot.

If you're still having problems after that, well, then I have no idea.

Comment

Are there any noticable events occuring just before it fails - things like screen being reset, messages being flashed on the screen, CD being accessed?

I doubt that it puts anything into the event logs, but you might as well look.

Are you wearing your "I love Miriam" tee shirt during the install?

Perhaps it is something to do with your CD hardware and/or drivers; anything unusual there? Perhaps it would install from a (mapped) network CD drive on a different machine.

There may be some copy protection issue with this, but perhaps if you copy the whole SMAC CD onto your hard disk, it will install from there.

Comment

Hi,

No, no messages or accessing the CD, nothing. However, I was able to install it to another machine running XP home. Should have tried that sooner, but didn't think it would work. Copied the entire thing to my machine after installing all patches and expansion and now it works fine.

I'd still like to know why it didn't work originally. EA tech support wasn't able to help, either. They talked me through doing the compatibility modes.

Thanks mucho for the help.
          Write, edit, I've got the pen,
          V'ger gone

Comment

Working...
          X