No announcement yet.

Can't download files in here using XP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't download files in here using XP!

I can't download any files from the Files Forum using Windows XP When i click on a file say a .Zip file, all i get is an attachment file and no matter what i do it won't download the file.

Help me please!!!

Did you try one of the other threads? I've seen something about this.
    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

First off, what does this have to do with Civ3? Therefore, this should not have been posted on this board.

This is an occurring problem for most people, so it's not related to your operating system. Once you have downloaded the file rename it to "anythingyouwantto.zip". Do this by right clicking on the file and scrolling down to properties. Once there you will be able to rename the file. Just remember that the name of the file has to end with ".zip".
      However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

No, this does not work for me. I have tried it with several different files, and had no sucess.

Comment

When you say "this didn't work for me", can you be more specific? What happens?
          Last edited by Argos65987; January 20, 2002, 19:59.

Comment

I click on an attachment file to download, and I select either save this file to your disk. No matter what the file or mod is, it always downloads a file called 'attachment' (with no 3 letter file extention), that is 97KB in size. I did not have this problem with any other version of IE, and I can neither install Netscape, or downgrade to another version of IE on this computer. I am using Internet Explorer version 6.0.2600.0000, with Windows 98, so I know that this problem is not something native to Windows XP. If someone could help, that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Here Here!

I have tried the same but to no avail

Comment

Unfortunately, I have no words of wisdom. I have seen in other threads in the Files and Creations sections that others are having trouble as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it says the file is corrupted, etc. Do you have access to another computer with a different version of IE so you can determine if the file is corrupted. Also, what version of IE are you using and why can't you install Netscape?

Checkout this thread: zip file question

Comment

I upgraded to XP during the period when the forum was having problems earlier this month, so I can't say whether XP is the culprit or the new (?) forum setup. But two things point toward a server problem: it didn't happen before, and the odd behavioer does not occur when I download .zip files from other sources.

Anyway, I have downloaded the "attachment" and renamed it afterwards as a .zip file, which then unzipped as expected. I think I've renamed other files before downloading, with the same success.

Curious.

Comment

I'm using XP Professional and IE6.0, I've had no problems downloading anything from the forums. Best you go to Microsoft.com and download any availabel service packs/add-ons for your version of Xp or IE.

Comment

You need to rename the file, then complete the download. Just delete the name "attachment" and then type in the name of the file displayed fron wherever you're downloading. Don't forget to include the extension designation.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                      X