UTILITY: SAV Game Editor - TCG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTILITY: SAV Game Editor - TCG

Here's the latest TCG Editor v1.01 for Civ III saved games. Here's a list of the features:
    • Change victory conditions
    • Change forced retirement date
    • Modify treasury gold for all civs in game
    • Reveal the entire world map
    • Works with versions 1.07f and 1.16f (pre and post-patch)
    • Change the Player's Civ
    • New in version 1.01:Change the random seed stored in the game

The zip file has 2 files in it, the executable and a help file. The help file is a little thin right now, but it's there for future expansion. There is NO UNDO function, so be sure to save edited files under a new name. I don't recommend editing important SAV files and saving right back over them.

All you have to do is unzip the 2 files into the same directory anywhere you like and create a shortcut to the executable file on your desktop.

The editor is statically linked, making it a little big in size, but with all the different versions of Windows out there now I figured it might be better to avoid any dependencies on installed VC++ runtime DLLs. As a result, it should work on all versions of Windows that Civ3 itself does.

I edited this post to update the ZIP download attachment and for some reason I can't do it. So... LOOK FOR THE ATTACHMENT BELOW IN ANOTHER POST FROM ME
    Last edited by hwinkels; February 4, 2002, 19:49.
    HW

Multiplayer?

Comment

There's a field that holds the Player's civ. I first tried just changing that field in order to switch civs. It didn't work as I expected it to, and the whole game just played itself without me having to make any moves at all! It was very strange to watch. I ended up changing around the steps the program makes to swap the player's civ with another one.

It does seem possible - even easy, maybe - that MP could be enabled with a little tinkering. I'm still experimenting.
      HW

Comment

How do you start the program? I unzipped the file, but when I click on it I get a message stating that there is no assosciated program to open it.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

The file you need to double-click on is the Civ3SavEdit.exe file. Where did you unzip it to? .EXE files don't have "associated programs" ... they ARE programs! What are you d/c on?
          HW

Comment

Originally posted by hwinkels
            whole game just played itself without me having to make any moves at all! It was very strange to watch.
            Wow! I want this feature for mod testing! Is it enabled in your editor ?
            Check my SF mod

Aliens Legacy

Comment

Originally posted by hwinkels
              The file you need to double-click on is the Civ3SavEdit.exe file. Where did you unzip it to? .EXE files don't have "associated programs" ... they ARE programs! What are you d/c on?
              I figured it out. When I download straight off this forum everything gets named "attachment" so I have to rename the files before downloading. I renamed this file "tcgedit" without including the extension ".zip" so my computer didn't know hwo to open the program. Then I tried renaming the file "tcgedit.zip" and then unzipped it into the Civ3 main directory, but the unzipped file still didn't work. Finally I just opened the downloaded renamed file with Winzip classic and clicked on the civ3savedit.exe file and it worked fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder why I am?

What is "d/c on"?
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I think it is double click on.....
                I came, I saw, I got whooped....

Comment

I forgot to mention that for the download problem wher it names it attachment, you are most definitely not the only one. Just rename the file you download to anyname.zip and you can unzip it normally then.
                  Gutz
                  I came, I saw, I got whooped....

Comment

neat program

looks like i'll be able to take my time finishing my game (i'm at 2045 now)
                    it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Dr. Strangelove: Glad you got it to work. I've had download problems myself on several sites using IE 5.5. I don't know if it's IE version related or what. Whenever I download from southparkstudios.com I run into similar hassles, but when I download from Apolyton I never seem to have a problem.

Gutz: Yes, d/c is "double-click".

pauli: Please let me know if works for you. You should get the retirement warning 50 yrs. ahead of time. The warning is based on years and not turns, meaning if you set it to something ridiculous like 100 BC (-100), you'll get the warning only a turn or two ahead of the forced retirement date. Anything after 1948 and you'll get the full 50-year/50-turn heads-up warning.

s3d: It's not enabled but I'll play with it a bit this evening and see if I can make it happen at-will. I never thought it might actually be useful that way! Stay tuned.
                      HW

Comment

Hey hwinkels, just a suggestion, but you might want to consider making this utility available at Civ Fanatics as well. You're little utility is very useful but will only get buried in obscurity here.
                        ...gonna shoot me some lobster-backs

Comment

I hear you, Minuteman. Probably by the weekend. I've been trying to add a certain function to it without much luck (the auto-play thing) but I'll put it up there whether or not I can make it work in another couple of days. Thanks for the suggestion!
                          HW

Comment

He he. I'm waiting
                            Check my SF mod

Aliens Legacy

Comment

hwinkels: i don't believe i ever got a retirement warning. however, i got a cultural victory long before 2000 :/ i guess it's not going to bother stopping me. it didn't do anything when my ship launched, either.
                              it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Working...
                              X