Kicking myself...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicking myself...

After extensive reading of various posts, mainly Velociryx´Disenchanted and DilithiumDad´s What do you miss most from SMAC, I´ve come to realize how much I miss SMAC and CIV2 and how I loathe CIV3. I´m kicking myself for not playing the CIV3-crack longer, instead I had to fork over approx. 45$ (equ. in swedish currency) to those numbskulls at Firaxis. DOH!

What also aggravates the hell out of me is that NOT ONE reviewer sees this game for what it is, an inconsistent rushjob by a bunch of nitwits who, most likely, couldn´t code their way out of a wet paper bag.

Yes, I´m flaming but I´m disappointed. I had such high hopes for this game and Firaxis has let me down completely.

I can see the obvious response coming: " If you don´t like it, don´t play it" And that´s exactly what I will do.
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

You should never,ever listen to a reviewer.Or at least let their opinion influence you.A reviewer never plays a game long enough to discover its true nature.

If I was a reviewer,Civ2 would have gotten a big 0.I d/led the demo and gave it a couple hours.You can't even scratch the surface in that time with strategy games in particular.Later I came back and gave it the time it needed.I an still playing it today.

Civ3 seems to be the opposite.The more you play,the more you think "hmmmm..thats not right"..or "that sucks"..or.."it should be like this"

my copy is slowly working it's way down the cd case stack.

who knows what is to come?.I think that scenarios and/or mp may yet elevate this game in said stack.I hope so.....I havn't uninstalled yet.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

IMO you shouldn't buy a STRATEGY game based on reviews, the reviewer probally gets less than a week to form an opinion before he has to submit his article, which is long enough to evaluate graphics, presentation etc. but not long enough to pick up on subtle gameplay inbalances, you obviously didn't spot them playing the crack or you'd be $45 better off!

Comment

Wanna split the $50 I saved *not* buying this beta?
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

yin, wouldn't your time be better spent posting on a site of a game you DO like? i know you have a lot of time invested in Civ, but surely its time to move on?

Comment

I'm curious what the Gold Edition might look like. Things like stacked movement, better late game techs and units etc., *can* be added in over the next year, one would think. If so, the game might well be worth some $$ then.
            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

I like Civ3. Try cricket or go make a snowman. Never played a cracked game. That isn't cricket.

Comment

Don't feel bad, you did the right thing. Your money was well spent supporting a big business. Faceless corporations have feelings too.

You should never play a "cracked" game. Crack is bad for you. Crack will get you addicted. Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care. Just say no to crack.

Cracker Jacks are OK, though. Make sure you brush your teeth after you are done.
                Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

never played a cracked game? when theres no demo released how else are you supposed to evaluate the game? and as for cricket...

Comment

Originally posted by ****gyRA
                    Don't feel bad, you did the right thing. Your money was well spent supporting a big business. Faceless corporations have feelings too.

You should never play a "cracked" game. Crack is bad for you. Crack will get you addicted. Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care. Just say no to crack.

Cracker Jacks are OK, though. Make sure you brush your teeth after you are done.
                    ****gyRA, you crack me up!
                    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

I dunno where y'all come from, but I can take a game back to the store and get my money back if I don't like it.

I've read interviews of game reviewers. They are the biggest gamers on the planet. They play games all day. So I tend to trust their judgement.

The reviews on www.gamespot.com are to my liking. They have the "official" review, and then there are customer reviews too. Both have a number, I believe Civ 3 got a nine from the review and like a seven from the customers. That told me right there that I should be wary of possible problems.
                      Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

I think the best review by far is the one at Wargamer. Of course, it took several weeks to come out, as well it should have. Bottom line with most of the reviews regarding Civ3 is they didn't spend enough time with the game (this is not an FPS!) nor, in many cases, did it seem that the reviewers had much knowledge of the TBS genre to begin with. The Wargamer review, however, was quite informative.

Comment

I generally like gamespot's reviews. But maybe not for TBS games. I felt SMAC's review was too high, and of course civ3's review was too high.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                            ...nor, in many cases, did it seem that the reviewers had much knowledge of the TBS genre to begin with.
                            Some common ground with the CivIII designers.

Btw, have you read analyst´s posts (page 3 of the 'Disenchanted' thread), yet? I think he is really hitting the nail on the head.
                            Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Thanks. I'll go read it.

Comment

Working...
                              X