Just what CAN you do on a Volcano?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just what CAN you do on a Volcano?

Talk about feeling the Earth move what about on Planet?

Just for the record, the Volcano has a central tile, which is a special special place (I'm calling it the top) and the 6 surrounding tiles (I'm calling them the sides) which are only just special. All 7 of these tiles come with the designation "Volcano" in addition to whatever terrain they have, which is often "rocky" and/or "arid", but can definitely be other things as well (the top may well always be rocky and arid though).

Now I know that you get an extra min on the top and sides of the volcano, and that you can build roads, mag tubes, mines and solar improvements on the sides. I think that you can build a road on the top (but not a mag tube) and maybe a solar array, but nothing else AFAIK. I know that a mine/road is worth 3 (flat) and 6 (rocky), it is worth at least 4 (and maybe, but probably not 5) if rolling. I don't know what a min special would do to those numbers or if it is even possible to get a min special on a volcano. If you can, a rockymineroadvolcanominspecial should be worth at least 8 and maybe 9 or 10 mins.

Additionally, you can neither farm nor forest the sides or the top, even where not rocky, but it will let you perform the "Drill for Aquifer" command on the sides at least. I suspect that the Borehole option would be OK if you raised the land downslope so that it was the same elevation as the side you wanted to bore.

Speaking of boring Just doing my part to keep up the thread count.

So what about starting a base, terraforming up or down, nuking, etc - What else do people know about Volcanos?

I think I heard a rumor that if you are playing Miriam, and all your bases are arranged in perfect symmetry around the Volcano, the game will let you build a new base on top of the Volcano - if you then make that base Miriam's HQ, it will automatically get the Voice of Planet as a free facility! Another variation of that rumor had it that you had to also capture and interrogate Brother Lal at that base as well; so who knows?

I've seen the AI found bases many times in the center volcano square... Never tried it myself. I like bases on either side, so they can share the wealth... Or, if there's lots of rocky squares on it, just cover it with crawlers...
    John? John? Wake up! I was talking about the volcano!

Comment

Yeah, the Volcano is pretty boring - one extra mineral for the roaded rocky mines. The Garland Crater on the other hand is really nice, I believe it's got 9 squares with 1 extra mineral but since you can farm it you can get some nice 2-2-1 squares or 1-3-1 Forests. Finding the Garland Crater early on is a real boon. Use Ctrl-Shift-X when you start the game to look at the raised topography of the hidden map - you can usually spot the Crater. I don't view this as a cheat since I figure you got a glimpse of Planet before crashing on it.

It's cool when a new Volcano erupts. Can this happen more than once per game?

Comment

Use Ctrl-Shift-X when you start the game to look at the raised topography of the hidden map - you can usually spot the Crater
        I do this regularly ... Once in a game I lost my HQ (with two SPs ... only) due to a meteorite strike. And lo, the crater was named Garland Crater. It didn't exist beforehand. And if the game plans from the beginning to destroy my first base, I'll guard against that from the beginning.
        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Did you know that if you place bases on all four sides, equally spaced of course, as Miriam, the entire faction will turn completely pagan, gaining the benefit of stealing one pop from a random base of each faction bordering them as a sacrifice to their 'fire god'.
          "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
          "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
          "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Yxklyx I don't view this as a cheat since I figure you got a glimpse of Planet before crashing on it.
            Well actually THAT would be cheating..... how can you spot the Garland Crater since it was created pretty much the same time your pod landed on the planet
            It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

I've seen the AI build a sensor on the top of the volcano, but I've never been able to do much there. To be honest, I've not tried that often (3-4 times total). Who wants to build a road over an active volcano any way?
              "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
              I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
              --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

How was Garland Crater supposedly created?
                "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

I've pulled a "King of the Hill" on a volcano: early in a game I treatied with a neighboring AI facion, then had my terraformers perform a "Lower terrain" right on top of the volcano which straddled our common border. I then was able to build a city on top of the volcano, thus giving me the high ground. Needless to say, as the game progressed, the AI couldn't have this threatening city on its border, so it attacked. Because of the volcano's steep slopes, I got a HUGE bonus for altitude for my artillery (2 tiles on the volcano is a LOT of difference in altitude) and after my artillery barrages on the AI units, my choppers mopped up the remains: this was a most excellent killing field, and once the AI had exhausted its reserves, I counterattacked!
                  However, to agree with the other posters, why unless the volcano straddles a border (or is a similarly strategic position), its a nuisance comparatively speaking.

Comment

The sides of a volcano, also carry a + 1 energy bonus. Thus, I often make Mt Planet, my energy park. Solar collectors on the sides and a ring of echelons around that.
                    Team 'Poly

Comment

Re: Just what CAN you do on a Volcano?

Originally posted by johndmuller
                      I know that a mine/road is worth 3 (flat) and 6 (rocky), it is worth at least 4 (and maybe, but probably not 5) if rolling. I don't know what a min special would do to those numbers or if it is even possible to get a min special on a volcano. If you can, a rockymineroadvolcanominspecial should be worth at least 8 and maybe 9 or 10 mins.
                      You "KNOW" it????
                      Incurably optimistic you!!!!

See my post in this thread titled Forest Energy for a concise summary on mines mineral yields (Yes! *I* am the concise one in that thread! YesYesYES!!!)

mineroad is 1 on flat, 2 on rolling, 4 on rocky
                      mineroadbonus is 4 on flat, 5 on rolling, 7 on rocky

add one mineral AND one Energy for volcano sides (thanks b_c)
                      I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

DANCE!!!

Oh, I was almost forgetting...
                        What can you do on a Volcano???

You can DANCE!!!

I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Re: Re: Just what CAN you do on a Volcano?

Originally posted by MariOne
                          You "KNOW" it????
                          Incurably optimistic you!!!!
                          I only "knew" it (the 3 flat and 6 rocky) because I am exploiting the Volcano in a current game and I opened it up to see what I was getting out of it. I try to "know" better than to use the word "know" about something I just "remember" . Even so, the twilight zone has been "known" to retroactively revise "facts" on occasion (like the +1 Energy - which was total news to me - in my defense, I am FM Morgan in this game and for an old Yang player the ludicrous amounts of energy are too decadent to consider) .

. . . add one mineral AND one Energy for volcano sides (thanks b_c)
                          The 6 min production from a rocky-volcano-mine-road was really the item that interested me in the Volcano in the first place. Perhaps the "Tilt" light (I think that there should be a "Tilt" smilie) came on in in conjunction to that very thread you were talking about (in which case I've been walking askew for a while now). According to the Add-One-Min rule, you should only get 5 mins, but in fact you get 6. So there must be something else going on - like perhaps one or more of the mine, road or volcano bonuses is a multiplier (as is the case in the nut bonuses) - leading to that extra kicker. I tried to guess some multipliers once, but I didn't get anywhere before I started wondering why I was even doing it. Perhaps the twilight zone has already retroactively published the true rule right in plain sight somewhere anyway.
                          Dancing . . . so that's where it comes from .

Comment

heh~

Ive seen the AI found bases,build solars sensors (and farms,wtf) on top of the volcano. The Volcano is an awesome landmark because its got good elevation so excellent energy,drill to quifier in the 4 corners and obscene energy that,and 5 minerals per mine aint to shabby. Oh and on top with a terraformer if you use ctr shift s (i think? for the farm/solar/road) it will build the road and the solar (and gives a nice energy bonus there to) havent tried it with farm/mine/road.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirnwaffen
                              How was Garland Crater supposedly created?
                              IIRC Garland is the name of the Captain on Unity. So the Crater should be the rest of Unity (crashed on planet).
                              It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                              X