• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: Civ3 - Unit-Mania - 40 plus extra Units

MOD: Civ3 - Unit-Mania - For Civ3 Standard version 1.29f - 50+ extra Units

Unit-Mania upgraded to Version 0.68 - see below for URL

3 separate BIC files included

1. Unit-Mania completee with all the units and the various tweaks as outlined below. ( See Civ3-Stats-Modpack-Unit-Mania-V-0-68.xls and civ3mod-Unit-Mania-0-68.bic for details)
    2. The same, but with much reduced resource availability in order to force different tactical and strategic choices. (See Read-Me-Unit-Mania-Resource-Poor-Mod.txt and civ3mod-Unit-Mania-0-68-Few-Resources-Variant.bic for details)
    3. A minimalist Unit Mania Modpack with no extra Unique Units, only those units that I tend to play with in my games, and only very few changes to the existing Civ3 Unit Stats, incorporating many of those recommended by Firaxis in the PTW BETA Testing Mod.. (see civ3mod-Unit-Mania-Minimalist.bic for details)

I have had a crack at redesigning my Civ2 - ToT "Original Plus / Unit-Mania" Modpack which adds in a few dozen extra units for Civ III.

My idea is to have a smoother transition of unit upgrades from ancient to modern, not the big staccato leaps that seem to be a feature of Civ III (and were also a feature of Civ II). I also wanted to try to have at least 2 different unique units for each Civ - but I haven’t yet quite completed that (though I really like the suggestion somebody made of the "Ghurkas" as an elite unit for the Indians)

It also means that with respect to big equipment purchases that are not necessarily upgradeable that you are forced to make uncomfortable decisions - "Should I buy that squadron of Fighters now or wait until my Technology improves a little bit".

The increased number of units won't please everybody, but I love complexity - the more the better for my tastes. See the attached excel spreadsheet for all the detail on extra units and other misc changes (for example, horsemen now have 3 moves, up from 2, same as cavalry). Additions and Changes in green.

In the meantime, here is a raw list of the new extra units.
    (all existing Civ 3 units are still available also)

 Adv Infantry
     Adv Jet Fighter
     AEGIS Steam Cruiser
     APC
     Armor
     Armoured car
     Armoured Infantry
     Armoured War Elephant
     Arquebusiers
     Attack “Chopper”
     Ballista
     BiPlane
     Bombard
     Bronze Age Warrior
     Bronze Cannon
     Camel Rider
     Canoe
     Cargo Ship
     Civil Defense (City Improvement)
     Coastal Battery
     Comitatensis
     Commandos
     Conscripts
     Crossbowmen
     Dragoons (conquistador Animation)
     Dreadnaught
     Eastern Knight
     Fire Catapult
     Grenadiers
     Guerillas
     Heavy Destroyer
     Horse Archer
     Howitzer
     Hypaspist
     Musket Infantry
     Flintlock Infantry
     Japanese Imperial Guard
     Javelineer
     Ir. War Party
     Iron Age Archer
     Iron Age Hoplite
     Iron Age Impi (Sarwe)
     Iron Age Spearman
     Janissary
     Junk
     Lancers (dragoon animation)
     Landship
     Light Tank
     Mameluke
     Man at Arms
     MG Carrier
     Modern Artillery
     Modern Frigate
     Modern Infantry
     Modern Marine
     Mortar
     Mounted Rifles
     Monks
     Organised Militia
     Peasant
     Peltast
     Reiter
     Reservists
     Chinese Revolutionaries
     Robotic Armor
     Royal Dreadnaught
     Saracen
     Skirmisher
     Special Air Services
     Tank Mk 1
     Tank FT17
     Thracian Swordsman
     Throwing Axeman
     Trebuchet
     Troop Transport
     Tribesman
     U-Boat
     Wehrmacht
     Woad Raider
     War Galleon
     War Galley

I have also duplicated some units (e.g Iron Age Impi, Iron Age Spearmen) in order to allow the “and/or” regarding building certain key units with resources. It seems silly that, if Copper is not available, and your technology includes Iron-Working, and you have access to Iron as a resource that you would not be able to build spearmen equipped with Iron Spear heads.

So too the AEGIS Cruiser. Most shipping only converted from coal to oil in the latter half of the 20th century. It seems reasonable that if there were no regular bulk supply of oil for fuel to be had, that coal could again be substituted for fuel for moden shipping. My rationale was that if a modern strategic power had no access to Oil for Fuel in quantity and/or Uranium or other fissile materiel, that they would likely set up coal-liquefication plants and/or revert to coal-fired Steam driven turbines in ships. It is mainly about making avaiable a modern combat ship of some sort to the Civ Player regardless if there was an oil embargo in place.

It is true that the U.S. would probably use Nuclear plants in ships if they were denied Oil (and still had access to fissile materiel), but not all other countries could / would be able to. (Esp. those on the technological or political "outer" or with a professed "No Nukes" stance)

I have also thrown in the Steam powered "Armoured Artillery" unit - a "Steam Powered Tank" (imagine an "armoured traction engine with Artillery Turret") requiring Coal, Iron, Copper to simulate what might have happened if the Internal Combustion engine hadn't caught on in a big way a hundred or so years ago, or again, if a Civ has no access to oil what it might be forced to do.

Although no extra advances have been added in this modpack, Some of the Tech precursors have been aded to – See accompanying Tech table for info – changes / additions in green.

My plan has been to in most cases use the existing graphics / animations where possible for the new intermediate units. (It's pretty hard to tell if an infantryman has a "single shot" rifle or a "repeating" rifle until you get real close to them, Some would say Too Close ! ). I also sort of like the idea of not knowing initially exactly what enemy units you are up against, for me it adds a little bit more to the realism.

Although where new unit animations become available (not my forte) I will include them here for use with the evolving modpack.

I have also added in three extra strategic resources "Copper" like Harlan and the English Cossack have suggested, as a precursor to Spearmen / Hoplite and to some of the more modern units (Requiring copper wire etc.). and also “Hemp” a precursor to Ropes, Sails, and so it is a requireemnt for the sailing vessels, and Titanium, required for Stealth aircraft and some spacecraft components. I have also included Camels, as a resource to buld Camel Riders and Mamelukes.

As well three “bonus” resources, Buffalo (Bison) and Musk Ox make a comeback from Civ 2 and Bear from Civ2-ToT. I have also added one luxury resource – Opium (for medicinal purposes only).

I have also added in the new Government type – “Nationalism” – closely modelled on the Fascism Modpack currently available from Steve Strayer.

I have also modified the Jungle terrain to produce one shield and one food unit (previously it only produced one food uit).

Defensive bonus of jungle is now also increased (35%, up from 25%).

Added retreat bonuses as per PTW DYP ( 10, 20, 30 , 40 % )

Mlitary Academy - adds 20% def bonus - but need a barracks to buid it

Barracks - adds a 10% def bonus

Hospital requires Library - adds 10% def bonus

Police Station req. Courthouse

Great Library req Library

B/field medicine – requires Hospital - adds def bonus 10%

Mountains - Move cost 4

New Improvement – Civil Defense adds 35% def bonus as well as other minor advantages

Mining now avail after Bronzeworking

Can no longer mine Grassland, but CAN mine Forest and
    CAN Irrigate hills (think asian rice terraces).

Road building now avail after Wheel

Diplomatic and Espionage missions now reduced in cost to approx 75% of former cost.

Apart from these changes I have tried to leave the rest of the Civ 3 rules alone, there are plenty of other modpacks around that seek to redesign / correct / alter certain of the idiosyncracies of Civ 3, the user can import whatever changes they desire from those modpacks into this one (or can use those modpacks if they sit better in the playing experience. )

Anyway, for what it’s worth - here it is -
    All the files can now be found here -

Parts 2 to 6 now available at http://kestrl18.tripod.com/

Parts 1,7,8 & 9 now available at http://www.geocities.com/kestrl18

Enjoy, and please feedback problems , comments, suggestions.

Other of my Civ 2 Unit-Mania stuff is available at http://www.users.bigpond.com/kestrel18/Civ3.htm
    Last edited by Kestrel; December 6, 2002, 03:47.

Part 2 - Modern Frigate FLC files from Dark Sheer
    Last edited by Kestrel; March 11, 2002, 21:58.

Comment

Part 3 - Crossbowman FLC files from Dark Sheer
      Last edited by Kestrel; March 11, 2002, 22:01.

Comment

Part 4 - Attack Chopper FLC files from "Blue0"
        Last edited by Kestrel; March 11, 2002, 21:59.

Comment

WOW! Looks great - nice idea!

Can't wait to try it!

Perhaps you should put this in the Files section - maybe you'll get more d'loads and feedback - I didn't expect this in the thread for discussion on creating mods.
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

May I make a suggestion for the Greeks, being a Greek myself?

Well, I would replace the Iron Age Hoplite with...

SARISSOFOROS or

the hoplite that Alexandros the Great used to conquer the world with.

SARISSOFOROS replaced the shield with a 6m long pike that killed off other hoplites without the pike-carrier even touching the other hoplite. He did have a sword, but mainly for defense, (not an offensive weapon)

Thanks for the pack it does make a difference.

I know it would be difficult to make the renders but it would be historically accurate.

Thanks for your time!
            I just love Civ (AND I HOPE THERE IS MORE THAN 3)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

There are still a few extra "unique" units that I'd like to add (the aim being two unique units per civ) so I'll take advice from all & sundry.

I've since corrected one or two minor bugs in the 0.1 version and used a few more of Dark Sheer's excellent animations to differentiate some of the existing units.

Also added in a "Dragoons" unit.

But I'll wait a few more days before I release the 0.2 version because I'm testing it through now.

Comment

Just a quick q, Kestrel.

What is the point of the duplicate "Iron Age spearmen" or whatever they are (at work )? IIRC, the only differrence id that they require Iron, not Copper, to build. Do they give you any benefits at all?

Surely Iron Age stuff should be stronger?
                Consul.

Comment

You're right, Iron Age equivalent units should by rights be stronger than their bronze age equivalents, but unless I can find a way to give specific units extra hit-points (e.g. all Iron Age units get 4 hit points, rather than 3) I would have to "up the ante" on Attack & Defense for every unit after Spearmen

For example -
                  If Bronze Spearman were 1/2/1
                  And I made
                  Iron Age Spearmen 1/3/1
                  Iron Age Hoplite 1/4/1

Then I would have to enhance all the other units - e.g.
                  Pikeman 1/4/1
                  Musket man ?/?/1
                  etc. etc.

And so on altering the offensive / defensive stats for every unit thereafter. I decided that (for now) I wouldn't do that.

The main reason for the Iron Age Spearman et. al. was in case a player does not have ready access to copper (now a strategic resource required for bronze units) I though it only fair to allow him / her to build an equivalent unit if they had ready access to Iron and Iron-Working.

If only Firaxis had seen fit to set up the Attack & Defense values starting from 10/10/1 (for the warrior) instead of 1/1/1 (as per CTP2) then we would have a lot more subtlety to play with for Mods like this.

But if I now multiply all unit attack and defense strengths by 10 myself, what wil that do to the Bombard strength of bombard-units against buildings ?

I suspect that this damage calc may be hard-coded in the Civ 3 game itself. (Unless there is a place where I can alter the damage done by Bombarding buildings, does anyone know ?)

Comment

Doesn't bombard kill something like 25%, 50% or 75% of the unit's HP? Or is it just 1, 2 or 3 HP? If the former, that isn't a prob!
                    Consul.

Comment

Not sure.

The main question for me is, if I multiply the attack & defense strengths by 10 for all units, do I need to multiply the bombard strengths by 10 also ?

And if so I how does that affect the bombardment of buildings (city improvements) ?

Comment

Nice patch, but BUT WHERE ARE THE GUERILLAS???

Comment

I know i may sound like a total noob but i've downloaded yor file and dont know where to unzip it to! I know some where in Civ 3 folder but where?

Comment

Can I see a screenshot of one (or more) of these units?
                            ··Rick·Pierce··
                            AlturasForums.Com
                            Alturas v2.5 now open!

Comment

Hah! Finally I can post at Apolyton

For those who wonder how the units looks like, you can either see the at Civfanatics (I was unable to post anything after I register here for over 2 weeks )

I will try to attach the screen shot for Modern Frigate here
                              Attached Files
                              If the animation is not there, lets create it!! :D

Comment

Working...
                              X