Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Civilization3 has caused an error in Civilization3.exe" Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Civilization3 has caused an error in Civilization3.exe" Help!

Hi there,

Forgive me if this question has appeared on this forum before (I couldn't find anything like it), but my problem is driving me absolutely mental! I've had Civ3 since Christmas, and haven't yet been able to play so much as one turn!

Basically, after I click "New Game" on the title screen to Civ3 I get to choose my planet options. I choose a "Large" planet, with "Continents" Everything else I choose is average.

I click on the "O" button and then I get the following error:

"Civilization3 has caused an error in Civilization3.exe. Civilization3 will now close. [etc, etc]"

Then it Civ3 closes and shuts me back to my desktop.

Here are the things I have done to try (unsuccessfully) to fix this problem:

* I have uninstalled/reinstalled/rebooted/etc civ3 and my machine (in all kinds of combinations.
    * I have installed the v1.16f patch from the www.Civ3.com site
    * I have upgraded my video card drivers from www.nvidia.com
    * I have written to www.ina-support.com (you never know).

Here are my system specs:
    RAM: 256MB
    CPU: Pentium III (800-odd Mhz)
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce2
    It's all pretty standard stuff, really

Anyhow, I hope if anyone's encountered this problem before, and solved it, could you please let me know the trick.

PS Thanks, whoever came up with the Lucinda Sans font fix!

Ah, THIS fault. Yes, there was a thread on this somewhere, but it'll have got buried. For me the fault happens partway through the game, just as I have finished the building stuff bit and am about to move units. I found that if I reloaded from a turn before, the same thing happened. If I reloaded TWO turns back and varied my orders enough, it would continue past the crash point a turn or two before doing the same thing.

Sorry, treefrog, I have no answer to this problem, but adding my experiences might (I dunno ) help someone figure out what in the blue hell is going on.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Invalid Page Fault in civilization3.e.exe - during world map exchanges

Mid way through a huge map game I've started to encounter a civilization3.e.exe (yes .e.exe?!?) Invalid Page Fault.

On further investigation I noticed it begins during an exchange of maps after about 1000 AD.

It's avoidable, for a while by not bringing up the word map during negotiations, but as more and more tribes are demanding our world map, its becoming a bit of a pain..

Am I the only one who's experienced this or is this pretty common?

Swanny

Comment

Actually nobody seem to care about the midgame crashes. I have about 4-5 saved games which crashes to desktop when i do something specific (capture a city or press endturn). I've seen severeal others having this problem, but none of the attempted solutions solve my problem. Quite irritating, will probably sell this game to a friend if nothing happens.

I think its time to start burning pirated versiones and play them to sort out if it is playable or not, and whan all patches have arrived buy the game (which probably will have a lower price by then)
        Democracy: The right to complain about the fact that they won't let you do whatever you feel like.

Comment

This fault is somewhat prevalent in some people's games, and it IS a game fault, so I'll see if I can get anyone to pay attn to it in the official bug list, or something.

Whether Firaxis listens to us all or not, this is exactly the sort of thing that NO-ONE can like and to fix it would not cause any controversy.

Wish me luck. I'll prob'ly get swamped.

Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

It's always worth a try, this forum seem to get quite a few visitor, so if for nothing else, ignoring this might turn out to be really bad publicity. "Unfortunately" the game is highly addicitve, so having these chrashes makes me wanna do something really bad to Firaxis for doing such a nice game and then ignoring this showstopper...

/Seb
            Democracy: The right to complain about the fact that they won't let you do whatever you feel like.

Comment

crash problems

Hi guy's:
              I've had civ3 since it came out and i still can't get it to run on my main system...
              I have three systems networked together and it will work on one system but not on my main system.
              I have come to the conclusion that it's the nvidia drivers or something to do with my nvidia vid card.
              my other system has a voodoo3 3000 and I have no problem's with the game at all!
              here are my spec's:
              system A: / system B
              Plll-733 / Plll-500
              128 ram / 192 ram
              nvidia g2 pro 64mb / voodoo3 3000 16mb
              win 98 se / win me
              soundblaster 512 pci / soundblaster 64
              19" viewsonic monitor / 17" something or other
              abit mobo / soyo mobo

and as i said i have come to the conclusion that it's the video card and/or the drivers for it....

Comment

Civ 3 midgame crashes

I've had the same problem since I started playing. I reported the problem to Fixaris after the patch didn't fix it, and they told me to uninstall and reinstall to the default directory. (They added that this particular problem is a known issue, and will likely be fixed in the next patch.)

My PC is a continual work in progress, and my C drive is about the only thing I haven't upgraded in the last 5 years. Before I run out, buy another HD, and install a new OS, I'd like to know whether or not their suggestion will work. Has anyone else tried this?

Comment

Has the fix fixed anything?

Okay, I am getting the same crash message and its in EVERY game but only after I have invested days in play. It occurs in the Middle or Industrial age.

I'm not even going to bother playing anymore till this is fixed by Firaxis.

My Question is ..... has Firaxis' solution worked for anyone? What exactly is the solution? Uninstall the game, reinstall, run the 2nd version of 1.16f?

I appreciate any feedback.
                  Question Authority.......with mime...

Comment

I went back and uninstalled the game. I reinstalled. I applied the "New, improved" 1.16f patch.

I reloaded the customized .bic file I had been using in my earlier saved game. Boom, same crash.

But..... IF I opened the same saved game with the Original .bic file instead.... it played. I moved through a couple turns then saved again, reapplied my customized .bic file.... it crashed.

Has anyone else tried this? It doesn't bode well for custom scenarios in the future of this game....

Comment

Yes, same happened to me .. my version worked perfectly well, until I edited the .bic file and added a few extra government types. I get the crash just after selecting your player.. it draws up the starting map, with my settler on the screen, and CRASH ... before I can do anything.

I'll have to stick with boring old governments it seems.
                      "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Rik said:
                        (They added that this particular problem is a known issue, and will likely be fixed in the next patch.)
                        I installed directx 8.1. Still crashes.

I turned off AutoSave. Still crashes.

Lets hope that second patch comes out soon..... any word from Firaxis?

As for the game crashing right after you start.... I've had that problem before and it seemed to have something to do with Civ Colors. If I editted the civ colors, some civs just couldn't be in the game. I went through and tried various combinations of civs to figure out who the guilty parties were. It didn't happen until I changed my custom civ's colors, but my civ didn't crash it. It always crashed after I founded my first city, and moved on for the AI players to play.....very weird.....

The crashes I am havning now occur mid-way through the game, in the late Middle ages or early Industrial ages.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comment

My experience with this has been as follows:

I got Civilization III on the day it came out. (I forget exactly when; you probably know better than I do.) I played it with absolutely no crashing whatsoever. About a week ago I visited the Civ3 website for some reason I don't recall and noted that the "new" 1.16 patch was out and that they "strongly recommended" that you download and apply it. Now, no matter what, when I play a game long enough to get to the third age (whichever age that is), the game crashes with the error message that you describe EVERY TIME.

What kind of "patch" is this?

Is this similar to anyone else's experience? It seems the best course of action in my circumstance is to uninstall the game and reinstall it, and forget all about the "patch".

Comment

Disregard my question about whether to uninstall and reinstall without the patch. I did so, and even the save games that consistently crashed at the same point now play without crashing.

Comment

Anyone remember what the patch supposedly fixed?

I guess I'll go look that up.

I've been getting the same mid-game crashes that are described all over this forum. And now I've seen several people say that this started with the 'patch'.

Anyone know if Firaxis is planning on patching their patch?
                              Fear not the path of truth for the lack of others walking it.

Comment

Working...
                              X