This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: Medieval Pack III v1.0 beta: Rangers

Below is a link to my Apolyton webpage, where I have posted the beta.

Simply unzip it into your Civilization III folder. I hope you have already backed up your civiliopedia and pediaicon texts, along with the bic and units_32 pcx file. Only the bic should cause any problems if you go back to the original game.

It is a beta because we are still trying to figure out how things work in the Civ III system, or at least *I* am trying to figure them out. Oh, and there are no new graphics to accompany all the new items in the game, so don't be surprised if you get the Art of War wonder splash when you build Stonehenge. (Is beta another word for "Work in progress."?)
    Also, some of the new units don't show up in the "current item" picture. I do not know why both types of Bowmen show up, but not the Phalanx. The improvements and wonders don't show up because I have not included graphics for them, yet. Also, the civilopedia has generally not be updated. I could probably use an accomplice on this part of the mod.
    General question- Where are all the graphic artists? I expected to see new units and other graphics all over the place by now. Is there a problem with the flc file type?

There should not be any crashes in the game, except that I get a message after exiting the game that the program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Getting this message after playing a mod designed to correct flaws and enhance the game just gives me all sorts of smart comebacks, but alas the computer has no sense of humor.

The zip is too big to attach in the thread here, mainly due to the civstats spreadsheet that I included in it. Players need to study it and read the misc text file, too. There are simply too many changes to unit stats to list individually. I tried to mark in color all of the other changes to the game, though.

In the units page, there are a number of columns that appear to be blank, except perhaps for a comment. Well, there is writing there, it is just in white. This was done purposely because those units are not in the mod currently. You will also see references to new civs, but those are not included either.

As far as units, here is a run-down of the changes to their functionality:

The F-15 has been re-named Strike Fighter, and made a common sucessor to the Bomber. The American UU is now the Ranger, a souped-up version of the Paratrooper. This new arrangement serves three purposes:
    1) I am a big Babylon 5 fan, and there is a new movie called Legend of the Rangers airing on SciFi January 19th. You saw the trailor in the US if you have seen Lord of the Rings (totally awesome movie, btw). I named the Medpack II versions after previous Babylon 5 shows, and this continues that tradition.
    2)I think it is a general consenous that the F-15 was about the least useful of the UUs. Hopefully this improves that situation.
    3)There are some real-life Rangers working to make the world a safer place right now, so maybe this will honor them in some very small way.

The Bowman is now a standard unit, while the Babylonian UU is now called the Babylonian Bowman. Both use the same sprite. Thus, you just have to remember that the blue Bowman has a better defense than everyone else's.

I needed another ranged unit because the Longbowman is now the English UU. The Archer has been moved the Medieval age, with appropriate stats. The Man-o-War is now the Ship-of-the-Line, and available to everyone.
    In my games, naval power is usually not much of a factor, so hopefully this will make the English more competitive.

The Spearman is now the Civilian Levy, and is the Medieval age defensive unit. The Phalanx, using the Hoplite sprite, replaces it.
    Pikemen are now the Renaissance age offensive foot unit.

A new unit, the Man-at-Arms, is the Medieval age offensive ground unit.

A new unit, the Grenadier, is an offensively-enhanced version of the Rifleman, and is the German UU. The Panzer is now called Armor, and is available to everyone.

A new unit from the Balancer mod- the Colonist. This is a cheaper version of the Settler, and is only available to Expansionist civs. It makes them a good bit more competitive. Note that the cost of the Settler and Colonist have been raised.

I know all of this can be confusing just reading it. Once you see it laid out in the spreadsheet, however, it will make sense. Also, please read the comments attached to most all of the above units.

Note: Thanks to Monkspider and Elucidus, whose Balancer mod formed the basis open which I added my own changes. Also thanks to E_T, whose upgrade technique was used in the mod, and to the guys who made the spreadsheets I used.

I am sure there will be several mistakes, omissions and/or logic failures in the beta, so please point them out as you discover them.
    Last edited by WesW; December 27, 2001, 23:16.

NEW UPDATE POSTED !

Sorry about the first release, guys. I had my last game crash, why I still do not know. It had something to do with capturing a city, any city, after 310 AD as far as I could tell.
    Anyway, after looking around, I decided to re-build the mod from the ground up. When I installed the patch, it did not replace the old bic I was using from the Balancer mod, so this time I re-installed the patch, and the new bic came up, with several differences in it to building costs and a few other things that I did not know about. I decided to keep the higher building costs in most instances. This new bic therefore should not have any bugs or other errors in it from the original bic or previous mods. When I zipped the update, it compacted to 312kb, less than half the size of the original, so I think something must have been going wrong with the old bic. I also found numerous name inconsistences in the old text files, plus the Bowman sprite bug that I made right before posting the original.
    So, I have spent the night making the new bic and correcting all the other errors that I could find, and the new zip is up in the link above.

In additon to the changes from the new bic, other buildings were adjusted to fit into the new cost system, plus:
    Fascism allows 3 citizen drafts per turn,
    Bowmen are cheaper but less effective,
    Grenadiers have 2 movement, but no ZoC,
    the Pyramids now give a Mill in every city on the continent, but become obsolete with Industrialization,
    Disney World gives +1 trade in all trade tiles instead of 2x science,
    The Oracle gives +1 happiness in all cities in addition to doubling temples (I could not remember if I had in this in before or not.),
    numerous changes made to building characteristics (meaning which personality types get cost reductions),
    Scientists require Mathematics and Taxmen require Currency.
    There were probably a few other changes that I cannot recall right now, but none should have been major.

Btw guys, post in with your thoughts and opinions about the mod. I know that there are a lot of mods out there, and most of you are probably playing old games with them, but comment on the spreadsheets or the game either one when you have a chance.
    Last edited by WesW; December 25, 2001, 04:51.

Comment

UPDATE ALERT !

Second update posted. Just click on the link in the top post. You don't want to save the old zip anyway.

For the first time, everything in the Civilopedia looks as it should, and perhaps more importantly I no longer receive the illegal operation error message when I exit the game. I found one last error in the civilopedia text which I hope was the cause of the earlier crashes. I have not played a game far enough to see if the Phalanx sprite shows up like it should, but one can hope.

As far as gameplay changes, the Spearman is back, and with its original sprite and stats. The Phalanx sprite is now used for the Civilian Levy, and the name Phalanx is no longer used in the game. The Levy also has an offensive stat of 2 now.
      Several bugs were fixed with unit upgrades and availabilities.
      The early advances now cost less, so you have a decision to make about your science setting now.

I am thinking about adding a couple new governments to the game, City State and Theocracy, and making Monarchy available earlier. I also am going to remove the Foundry improvement, since you can build one in every city once you have access to iron. I meant for it to be like the Iron Works. If anyone has any suggestions for an improvement to replace the Foundry, speak up!

Comment

Hey Wes,

Giving your Med Mod III a chance and was enjoying it when it crashed. I played half a game as the Greeks, but I was losing badly when I restarted as the Russians. They have the Colonist and as soon as I tried to build it the game crashed. Have not retried, but will tonight. Any ideas. It even caused my Windows XP system to crash which is a first. Damn editor. Well let me know what you think. Good so far. I like the new stats on some of the units.

Comment

Re: UPDATE ALERT !

Originally posted by WesW
          I also am going to remove the Foundry improvement, since you can build one in every city once you have access to iron. I meant for it to be like the Iron Works. If anyone has any suggestions for an improvement to replace the Foundry, speak up!
          If you make the Foundry a Small Wonder, you gain access to the "Required resouce must be within city radius" flag.
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

This MOD has been caceled by it's developer, and is no longer available for download.

Thread closed and moved to creation.
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
            X