NO Change fo the sake of Change!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO Change fo the sake of Change!

Hi Haven't been here for looooong time, but you will find my credits in the first civ III list

I was pondering civ II today and it has a lot of great features, some of the wonders for example. My concern is the designers of Civ III might change stuff just to make Civ III "look different" to Civ II. THEY SHOULD NOT DO THIS! What they should do is fix bugs, enhance the features that are already there and add new ones.

In other words, they shouldn't try to re-invent the wheel. This applies to big and small things. For example, in the change from civ I to civ II the default city names for civs was changed. This kind of thing is stupid and a waste of the programmer's time and money. Same with wonders, why change their effects around like they did changing from civ I to civ II? Pointless and annoying. We are not impressed by such "innovations".

Also, except for combat stacking, they should avoid Call To Power LIKE THE PLAGUE. CTP's main purpose as a game is to serve as a warning to others

I say No change for change's sake! Have a nice horsie day

I disagree Civ2 and Civ have been around for a long long time and if they don't change it the game will just suck and bomb IMHO. Obviously making it a 3d sphere world would suck IMHO but I don't see what's wrong with things like more advanced war more trade maybe hexes or regions.

If it's just like Civ2 except with a little upgrade along the lines of what Civ1 was the Civ2 I ain't gonna buy it. I have Civ2 I don't need a new fancy version of it, I'll go buy Freelancer instead.

------------------
    King Par4!!

There is no spoon
    -The Matrix
    Let's kick it up a notch!!
    -Emeril Lagasse
    Fresh Soy makes Tofu so silky
    -Ming Tsai
    [This message has been edited by Par4 (edited July 26, 2000).]

Comment

I partly agree with you AH. While I would like a little change, I do not want to have to relearn commands and basically how to play the game again. While I want a new challenge, I do not want to learn a totally different system. ....And who says women are hard to please
      Apolyton Empress
      "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

No way, in this Civ 3, there must be a re-invention of the game so as to advance the game in substance rather than in graphics.

I strongly feel that the game must attain goals of implementing realistic politics, war gaming, and cultural aspects. All together in a user friendly, yet highly thoughtful grand strategy game.

Comment

I think Civ3 should be a reinvention of Civ2 with plenty of change, for one simple reason - if they don't, there could be potential legal problems for them. Microprose still owns Civ and Civ2 if I'm not mistaken.
          -------------
          Gordon S. McLeod
          October's Fools
          http://octobersfools.keenspace.com

Comment

Hasbro owns Microprose Hasbro is publishing Civ3. No problems.

------------------
            King Par4!!

There is no spoon
            -The Matrix
            -Emeril Lagasse
            -Ming Tsai

Comment

I dis agree we need to re invent Civ to stay the best but also keep the elements that made it great, sequals should be both a reinventiona dn fix of the original.

------------------
              I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
              I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

I dis agree we need to re invent Civ to stay the best but also keep the elements that made it great, sequals should be both a reinventiona dn fix of the original. Some games were ruined because they changed to mucxh or just did the same thing with only fixed. To be great again you need a mix.

------------------
                I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
                I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

I agree with Par4 and most of the other people here. Civ2 accomplishes everything it tryes to accomplish in a pretty much perfect way. If Civ3 is only to be a Civ2 with a bugfix and a few new features, then it will end up being just a small patch. There is simply so little wrong with Civ2. Therefor Firaxis needs to be innovative, include new features and more cool stuff.

But when this is said I must agree with AH that some changes are simply stupid. Like one of the most awsome concepts in SMAC: calling Fortify Hold. What could possibly be the point of that??!!??!
                  "It is not enough to be alive. Sunshine, freedom and a little flower you have got to have."
                  - Hans Christian Andersen

GGS Website

Comment

Most likely, copyright infringement. They probably had to change the names around so Microprose couldn't sue Firaxis.
                    *grumbles about work*

Comment

No No No NO NO NO NO No NO No No No

Firaxis is a developer for EA

EA has agreed to let Firaxis work on Civ3 with Hasbro but EA will publish Sid Meier's Dinosaurs

Microprose owns the name Civilization but Microprose was bought by Hasbro

Therefore it is Microprose/Hasbro who is Publishing Civilization III

------------------
                      King Par4!!

There is no spoon
                      -The Matrix
                      -Emeril Lagasse
                      -Ming Tsai

Comment

I have to disagree with his horseness. the changes from civ to civ2 in, say, wonders were made to make the game balance better. the change in pyramids, for example, was explained in the manual. and did anyone ever actually build shakespeare in civ1 when it would expire with electronics?
                        and who cares about default city names? just rename them if you don't like them.
                        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I think that Civ III should be different from Civ II simply because Civ I and II were published close to each other. Civ II's purpose was to fix the flaws in Civ I. Civ II's title of "Sequel" is just a marketing ploy since it employs few differences essentially. The name Civilization II sounds much better that Civilization 1.5. All of the smaller addons like Fantastic Worlds and Conflicts in Civ added up to making a Civilization 1.75, never quite adding up to another version because it just improved Civ 2. If they were all roled into one plus a better and more advanced interface would have created a Civ III but there was no better and more advanced interface to create. Civ II was the pinnicle of turn-based strategy game of its day. How do you improve the best? Now that Civ II is remembered as being the greatest computer strategy game of all time, it is time to create a new game, limited to only the protocol set by the first Civs.

Now you have to recycle the empty bottle but when it is done it must function as the first.

Now that all of Civ II is obsolete except for the idea you must recycle all of the technical stuff and come out with a truly "new" game.

P.S. I hope you enjoyed my bit of armchair philosophy.

P.P.S. Here is another bit: "You cannot build New York on the foundations of Rome."

------------------
                          "Adorare Christantine!!!"
                          Republican Decree #1
                          "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
                          "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
                          "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

I agree with the Horse. Keep what is good, and build on that. Don't just change stuff because you feel the need for it to be changed. Keep the commands mostly the same, and keep the same game premise.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Thanks for the support Imran
                              (fellow Apo "royal"?)

I'm not saying they shouldn't be innovative. I'm just saying they shouldn't just have changes to make Civ III look and feel different. I think the hard core civers would like to see a balance between innovation and simple enhancement.

Comment

Working...
                              X