Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Cant Get Out Of Middle Ages !!!

Its not a bug, its just the way I play

I have this horrible habit of not being able to finish a game. Not for lack of trying mind you, its just that when it comes to games like Civ 2 and Civ 3, I just love the whole startup phases.

Placing cities, watching them grow, destroying enemies in under 10 years (drool)

I mustve played Civ 2 for four months without finishing it. As for Civ 3, Ive got about five save games, I am planning on starting another one after I post this message.

Whilst it may seem odd to alot of people, im sure there are others out there with this affliction. Please, feel free to let it off your chest. I AM NOT A FREAK !!!!

Btw, as far as the ancient and middle ages goes, I can see nothing wrong with this beautiful game.

-LC

Leanin: I know the feeling. I'm not as bad for it with Civ as I am with some other games, but there's a certain appeal in moulding the beginnings of a civilization that isn't present in the later stages of the game, when all I'm doing is managing the details of the empire I've created, really... almost anti-climatic, in a way. Maybe I need to be more warlike in the later eras, to keep my games lively... and bloody...
    There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I have erased this line.

Comment

I have the same habit.
      Exploration and expansion is best.
      But, with Civ 3 we have more ways to win the game.
      Maybe I give the endgame a try.
      For those who fight for it, life has a flavour the sheltered never know.

Comment

The good thing in this play style is that you dont experience the two most painful parts of the game. Moving tens of workers to railroad and irrigate everything(starting in the end of the middle ages) and moving tens of workers to clean pollution(until we get mass transit).
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Spot on Eli.

I love the early game, but it does become tedious toward the end. I think I have only finished maybe one or two civ2 games. Same goes for ctp and ctp2, Have to admit civ2 still had the best end video, ctp2 the worst.

Comment

right on

Not only do I also enjoy only middleages civ games, I made an entire civ2 re-write where the end of the game is barely past magnetism

roads became paths, railroad became paved roads,
            mines became 'villages' (I made forests minable too)

this way the country side looks more populated.
            the tech tree starts at the flint axe and fire and is alot more detailed,
            ocean travel and exploration only happens about 3/4 late into the game.
            of course the map is earth and its HUGE.

I've been trying to do the same again for civ3 but the tech tree editing is a nightmare
            EFR RPG GAME Designer, E.F.R. Forums The Coyn: Fantasy Mod for Civ3:Conquests

Comment

Re: I Cant Get Out Of Middle Ages !!!

Originally posted by LeaninCowboy
              Whilst it may seem odd to alot of people, im sure there are others out there with this affliction. Please, feel free to let it off your chest. I AM NOT A FREAK !!!!
              I do that. I've got one savegame that's up to 2016...(must finish game) but the end is in sight and it's a foregone conclusion, and I just couldn't wait to try out something new.

So I started over as the Romans, planning an early game conquest strategy. Picturing myself sending forth wave after wave of legions on glorious crusades against the evil civs. I started isolated, with a large continent all to myself and nothing to fight but barbarians. heh.

Btw, as far as the ancient and middle ages goes, I can see nothing wrong with this beautiful game.
              Oh yeah, they're great fun.

Comment

I have two saves in modern age and am forcing myself to finish one of them --
                I only finished one or two civ2 games .
                When I know im gonna win its hard to continue.
                cant wait for a WW2 scenerio or an age of exploration scenerio-perhaps the punic wars,ACW --
                Firaxis--
                Please bring on scenarios its the only thing thats gonna keep my interest.
                Oops Download complete seeyall later
                Die-Bin Laden-die

Comment

I'm about 20 turns away from Magnetism which should be cool, I'll be able to build the Man of War,
                  but I think I will prefer having tanks and jet fighters than the middle ages, if i get there before the chinese kill me.
                  with 16 civs its tough to build wonders upto the end of the mid ages, but i managed to make magelans on my smaller germans game.

I would like there to be a dragoon unit like civ2 had, but
                  the middle ages seem good.

Comment

Working...
                  X