No announcement yet.

Civ 2 SUCKS also!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still think Civ 2 is the best game ever, and I don't consider it an "old" game, because I play it nearly everyday.
    And this won't change until a scenario editor is released because I hate the regular game (both in Civ 2 and 3).
    In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
    In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

That makes perfect sense to me.

I'm just trying to keep everything in perspective. :-)

Going to a website where for the last 4 years people have been playing the patched and polished version of Civ2 and giving them a brand new and different game (with some bugs) is obviously going to create some controversy.

Comment

Here is your perspective:

-a lot of those posts are in '96, Guy was complaining about an 11 meg civlopedia for civ2 (obviously a moron) and the fact that it took 8 whole megs of ram to run.

what does FIRAXIS do? well for one, save files are 2 megs now, not to mention any of the other files that compile this 700 meg beast.

-another guy complained about MP not being released and "prophisized" that they would charge for it.

that one was right on the money. so what is there response in civ3? hmmm...

and in another post, the guy said he sucked, no the game.

not bad, 6 or 7 people complaining about the game out of how many that were playing it? with civ3, almost everyone is complaining.
        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

now this is a creative cool thread. I love it.

"almost everyone is complaining"

I'd like to see some numbers to back that up. Because I don't see it. It just happens the complainers talk (or post) the loudest. Those who like the game are quiet playing it
          Last edited by Dis; December 6, 2001, 05:28.

Comment

How many of those links say "Civ2 combat is broken" or "Civ2 corruption is crazy"?

OK now how many links can you find from people here saying those things about Civ3?

Quite a few many more.

It just happens the complainers talk (or post) the loudest.
            It couldn't possibly be because some people think that there are major things actually broken with Civ3 though, could it?

Comment

Re: Civ 2 SUCKS also!

Originally posted by XPav
              That's right!

Civ 2 sucks.

Look! Lots of people say it does.
              Let me follow your reasoning:
              Millions of people thought Hitler was a great guy; so he was!

or

Tens of millions of people thought the earth was flat; so it is!

People wear rose colored glasses when it comes to old games.
              Yeah, chess sucks big time you can't even use a railgun or rocket launcher.

Please, stop wasting everybody's time.
              Somebody told me I should get a signature.

Comment

some of you are so dense. You do know a world exists outside of Apolyton don't you? This place does not represent the entire civ community. There are real people out there when you step outside.

Comment

Originally posted by rid102
                  It couldn't possibly be because some people think that there are major things actually broken with Civ3 though, could it?
                  It couldn't possibly be because some people are playing Civ 3 with a Civ 2 mindset - which just doesn't work
                  If you are having trouble with corruption or combat, just read Vel's thread. It can help those having a problem adapting to Civ 3
                  Last edited by Skanky Burns; December 6, 2001, 06:50.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

In a few years we'll link yin and eyes in the same way,
                    and laugh are @sses off about the silly remarks they made.

yin: if you're reading (and you are since you're a complete maniac reading everything about a game you returned)
                    you're a part of the civ history: but don't get proud. You'll be remembered forever as the clown of civ3.

And changing names won't help you,
                    look at eyes, he changed his name multiple times to get rid of his cheating imago........... oh boy oh boy........ we still know.
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

haha, Kaak,

you're funny man !

In fact all you so called 'vets' are just like religious dogmatic fools.
                      You don't like changes and would like everything to stay the same.

I'm happy civ3 doesn't has multiplayer (never though that before)
                      but now I can first learn the game, otherwise I would've been playing mp games already all night without really understanding the game.

And of course it's cool to say silly things like: "In those days only these 7 people complained, right now everybody is complaining"

duh.

now go and play some more civ2 !
                      the game rocks, and those 7 people are morons, of course we can't compare them with you, since you're fantastic ! How could we forget !
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Cyber, i don't, in this particular post, recall making any comment at all on civ3. By my above post, I was merely trying to point out that he wasn't comparing apples to apples...
                        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Jihad!!! Jihad I say..

er, after I finish my fishsticks.

Comment

I'm sorry but it's difficult for me to accept the statement that Civ2 'sucks', as you put it.

Even now Civ 2 is still a great game (I was playing it regularly until Civ3 came out).

There cannot be many other games that have had the impact that Civ2 had when it was released and that are still played to such an extent half a decade later.

I can still remember playing Civ2 until the next morning, just because I needed 'one more turn'. No other game has managed to make me do that. Ever.
                            I've seen things that you people wouldn't believe.

Comment

Mannamagnus, I believe XPAV's post went right over your head... Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it invalid.
                              Originally posted by Mannamagnus
                              Let me follow your reasoning:
                              Millions of people thought Hitler was a great guy; so he was!
                              or
                              Tens of millions of people thought the earth was flat; so it is!
                              Yeah, chess sucks big time you can't even use a railgun or rocket launcher.
                              Please, stop wasting everybody's time.
                              You take his comments out of context, completely missing the point of his post.

His openning statement was Ironic, followed by examples. I am assuming that he doesn't think CIV 2 is crap, but he is attempting to prove a point by being inflametory, which I think he does rather well.

When taken in contex with the rest of the post it is quite obvious what he is expressing:

1. CIV 2 was not problem free
                              2. Some people conviently forget that CIV 2 was not problem free
                              3. Yes CIV 3 has bugs, it is brand new..Civ 2 had the same problems when it was first released.
                              4. and NOT that old games are rubbish
                              5. and NOT that CIV 2 was rubbish

...and Kaak you conveniently forget that when CIV 2 was first released (1995 - I think) there was not a very big online civ community. So no ramping up of unrealist expections prior to Civ2 release and therefore a more constructive approach to the problems with the first release of CIV2.

So XPav - I think you hit the nail on the head - good thread
                              Last edited by Th0mas; December 6, 2001, 08:33.
                              tis better to be thought stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting

Comment

Working...
                              X