Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to play the game in a window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to play the game in a window?

Please forgive me, I am not all that computer litterate. Is it possible to play the game in a minimizable window? I have a lot of down time at work and would consider sneaking in a few turns if I could hide the game in a heartbeat from my bosses. Is it possible?

Mike

I dunnot think u can have it in a window

But u could just alt tab or alt esc out of it.
    Im sorry Mr Civ Franchise, Civ3 was DOA

Comment

Unfortunately, you can only alt+tab to an already opened application. I am not aware of any way to alt+tab to the Windows desktop itself. Furthermore, Civ3 is "disabling" the Windows task bar, which means that the bottom 32-or-so pixels of any maximized application will reveal your Civ3 game, not a "business-as-usual" Windows task bar. So, beware!

Comment

Hmmmm... when I play, my task bar shows... and I can still hit the "microsoft" key and bring up the normal choices. I've had no problem multi tasking while playing. However, I do not hear the typical "sound" when I get an ICQ message, so I have to look every once in a while
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
            Hmmmm... when I play, my task bar shows... and I can still hit the "microsoft" key and bring up the normal choices. I've had no problem multi tasking while playing. However, I do not hear the typical "sound" when I get an ICQ message, so I have to look every once in a while
            Ming's right about the windows key... (if your keyboard has the right key), by pressing the "windows" key (between ctrl and alt on my keybord), you can get the taskbar... also, if you push [windows key]-D, the desktop will show up. my task bar also does not show while playing, but the windows key thing means that's not a problem... I use AIM (yuch, but all my friends use it, so...), and you CAN hear messages when someone IMs you, and if it's a new message, it'll pop up over the game... one problem I do have is when switching from the desktop to another window, the game pops back up, which makes it hard to work sometimes...

Just my experiences! If it matters to anyone, I'm running Windows ME (if you want to talk about a bad product ...)

-- adaMada
            Civ 3 Democracy Game:
            PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
            Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

so is there a way to play civ3 and be able to bounce to other stuff if u dont have a windows key?

i would love to be able to multitask while playing ??
              Second place doesnt get to #@*$ the prom queen!!

Comment

Alt-tab cycles through open applications. Alt-shift-tab cycles the other way. And the one you probably want is ctrl-esc, which is the same as the Windows key.

Originally posted by ROO_DEE_POO_69
                so is there a way to play civ3 and be able to bounce to other stuff if u dont have a windows key?

i would love to be able to multitask while playing ??

Comment

thanks everyone espesially sophist... i will try it and see how it goes

does it slow down your civ game ?

Comment

well i tried it and it hookied up my machine bigtime
                    my guess it that my resolution isnt properly set
                    windows almost looks like it goes int safe mode or a lower resolution before it lods civ 3
                    my resolution is currently at 1024 x 768 256 colors and i did have some issues when loading civ 3
                    i think it is a resolution problem
                    any suggestions???

bt the way i do have a windows key!!
                    just never used it.....

Comment

oh yea, almost forgot . If you want to seriously multitask, I highly recommend telling Civ 3 to keep your previous resolution. You can do this by editing civilization3.ini and adding the line "KeepRes=1" to the file, as is detailed in the readme that came with the game.

-- adaMada

PS: I've done this, and the game works fine for me -- each image is individually smaller, but I just get to see more, and I got used to it quickly.
                      Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

thanks ada mada.... it werked.... now i am really gonne be a civ junkie

ps i tried to post this like three times already

Comment

Originally posted by ROO_DEE_POO_69
                          thanks ada mada.... it werked.... now i am really gonne be a civ junkie

ps i tried to post this like three times already
                          Sure! Glad it helped .

-- adaMada
                          Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

Working...
                          X