Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Succession Game starting on 11/29/2001, Join the game/follow the saga in this thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Succession Game starting on 11/29/2001, Join the game/follow the saga in this thread

Play order (current player in crimson):
    1) Excelsior
    2) Jumping Choya
    3) Lurking
    4) vovansim
    5) fsck (away until 01/07)

This game will be played on Regent difficulty, on a medium size map with a total of 6 civs (players will be one of the civs). The civs will all be random, including player civ. The game will begin on 11/29/2001 with myself being player #1.

Sign up now, first to sign on in this thread will be part of the game. You will be allowed 72 hours, from the notification of the end of the last player's turn, to complete your turn. If there are problems, or you would like to pass/withdraw from the game please post in this thread in advance.

I will try to include pictures/screenshots of important events. I will also chronicle my reign(s) to provide a way for fellow CivIII fans to follow this game.

Any other suggestions? I hope I get some great players to join me in this game!
    Last edited by Lurking; December 27, 2001, 09:10.
    "Dog of a Saxon! Take thy lance, and prepare for the death thou hast drawn upon thee!" -Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert in novel 'Ivanhoe'

Tempting... Tempting...
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I'll play! Do we need to post e-mail addresses, or do you just want to post the saves on the forum?

Comment

No need to exchange e-mails. I'll post my saved files here, on this thread. Also, if you do need to contact me or another player by e-mail, you can do it through Apolyton. You can e-mail a user by viewing his profile and clicking on the link there. I think it goes into the user's private messages, and the user should receive an e-mail informing them they have a private message.

Other questions/suggestions?
        "Dog of a Saxon! Take thy lance, and prepare for the death thou hast drawn upon thee!" -Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert in novel 'Ivanhoe'

Comment

Originally posted by Lurking
          Other questions/suggestions?
          Well, I prefer to play with 3X or 4X the hitpoints for each level of experience (with an accompanying ROF increase for bombardment units). I find it makes combat more balanced. If you don't want to play that way it is fine, but I think it improves gameplay. Either way, everyone in the game should play with the same rules. What do you think? It is simple enough to change.

Comment

Upon reflection, I don't think we would all need the same rules. If you start a scenario with other than the default rules using a scenario, then the rules should be saved with the save. I don't know this for sure, though. It might require the .bic file with which the game was started. I'll have to check this out.

Comment

Excelsior,
              Did you find out if rules carry over in the save file? I would prefer to play with the default rules. I have done absolutely no mods to my version of Civ III, although I saw some cool screenshots with new visuals for forest/jungles, and irrigation. I might do those mods if I can find them.

Anyway, back on topic, is there anyone else who would like to join? Is there a better succession game going on? I'd like to get in on one, and I didn't see any that were looking for more players. That is why I'm starting this one. There doesn't appear to be much interest here on Apolyton , should I go elsewhere?

Comment

Excelsior,
                Did you find out if rules carry over in the save file? I would prefer to play with the default rules. I have done absolutely no mods to my version of Civ III, although I saw some cool screenshots with new visuals for forest/jungles, and irrigation. I might do those mods if I can find them.
                I did. If a game was started using a scenario, .bic, file, then the rules are saved in the save game. If a game was started using the default rules, the rules are taken directly from the Civ3mod.bic file.

This is part of a post I made explaining why I think there should be more hitpoints:

I think the problem is with the small number of hitpoints. It allows relatively short streaks of 2 or 3 in a row to be decisive. As it stands, with two three hitpoint warriors, the odds of the battle ending with one side completely undamaged is 25%! That's a lot! By comparison, in Civ2, the odds of such a thing occuring, with Civ3's 10% defense bonus, was slightly over 0.2%.

I believe this is also what causes a lot of the tank vs. pikeman angst. Assuming 3HP units, a pikeman fortified inside a metropolis on grassland has a fairly reasonable 16.5% chance of victory. With 10 HP units, this drops to 3.3%.
                Anyway you want to do it is fine, I just think it plays better.

Originally posted by Lurking There doesn't appear to be much interest here on Apolyton , should I go elsewhere?
                Surely there must be more people interested here! Sign up now!

Comment

Please join! If you have questions about this game, post them in this thread. Are all the succession players busy with other games? If so, where are these games? I've been to Civfanatics and looked all over apolyton. Does any website have a coordiantor of succession games for Civ III? If not, maybe I'll take up the project.... It can't be that hard...

(famous last words)

Comment

Count me in!

I would be happy to join your succession game. I'm only a mediocre player, but a fairly good amateur writer. Screenshots are no problem too (seems to be what made that "other" succession thread so popular).

If we are going to modify rules... I suggest 2x hit points. 3x or 4x multiplier really makes it impossible for the older units to do anything. Even musketmen and rifleman will have a hell of a time against infantry with the stats so equalized. Also, I suggest disabling air units. Until the patch arrives, the invincible bombers really put a crimp in modern warfare.
                    In the time it took you to read this signature, the Voyager I space probe has travelled approximately 130 km.

Comment

Re: Count me in!

Originally posted by fsck If we are going to modify rules... I suggest 2x hit points. 3x or 4x multiplier really makes it impossible for the older units to do anything. Even musketmen and rifleman will have a hell of a time against infantry with the stats so equalized. Also, I suggest disabling air units. Until the patch arrives, the invincible bombers really put a crimp in modern warfare.
                      That's fine with me. If you want to do something about the invincible bombers I'd suggest that instead of disabling bombers, we disable the enemy fighters too. Just take remove the air-superiority features from the fighter units. It might make sense to make them cheaper too, since they would essentially be downgraded bombers.

Comment

Ok, I'm good with the doubling of hitpoints. I think the suggestion of moding the bombers is a good idea too. I have no experience with changing game settings like this, but Excelsior seems to have confirmed that the settings will carry over in the save file. So, Excelsior, will you start the game (be player #1) with the modifications we've discussed here. I'll be player #2. Excelsior, you may go ahead and start the game tonight if you wish. Be sure to use the settings (difficulty, randomness, ect.) that is included in the first post in this thread.

Settings of landmass, land layout, temperature, and age should also be random. I will edit the first post to include play order and who is currently playing. I'm sure will get another 2 or 3 players once we start. Especially if we agree to include screenshots. Do either of you know of a good webhost that would be willing to store our pictures online (link them to this thread)?

OK, I think that's it. You're up Excelsior!

Comment

OK, I think I've made all the changes. All experience levels are double hitpoints, all bombardment units have double rate-of-fire, and fighters and f-15s can no longer perform the "Interception" mission.

One thing, though, what should the build cost of fighters and jet fighters be? They are essentially really lousy bombers now that can perform the "Recon" mission. I was thinking 4 for the fighter and 5 for the jet fighter/F-15. The main difference between the fighter and the jet fighter is the combat rating, but since combat cannot occur, the only advantage the jet fighter has is range, 6 vs. 4. I think this would be about right since their bombardment ability is actually worse than that of catapults.

I'm sure will get another 2 or 3 players once we start. Especially if we agree to include screenshots. Do either of you know of a good webhost that would be willing to store our pictures online (link them to this thread)?
                          I've got about 10 megs of free web-space from @home, but there is a big problem. I use the Comcast@home ISP, and this morning I got an e-mail from Comcast saying that @home is trying to get out of its deal with the cable companies. So, as of the 30th, my @home account may be DOA, depending on what the bankruptcy court rules. Comcast recommended using their emergency dail-up service backup plan, aka NetZero.

In any case, I plan to attach pictures to my posts using the attach file option on the board. If someone else has a better idea I'm all ears, but I think this will work out all right. You can only attach one picture per post, but there is no limit on the number of posts you can make...

Comment

web hosting

I have a private domain that I pay for... www.doriarpg.org. It used to be for an online D&D game that I ran, but it's mostly dormant now. I have about 50 MB of free space, and several GB worth of available traffic a month, so I'm happy to host whatever files we might need for this game.

Can't wait to start!
                            In the time it took you to read this signature, the Voyager I space probe has travelled approximately 130 km.

Comment

I think the cost of fighters should be 5 for a regular fighter and 7 for a jet fighter. This would discourage the need for airpower at all, but still leave it open if we/AI need it for some reason. I guess that's it. Looking forward to my turn! Can't wait to discover what the world will look like and, most importantly, what our civ will be!

Comment

Working...
                              X