Different versions of Civ II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different versions of Civ II

Previously I had the original version of the game and downloaded version 2.42 from Microprose's site.

I now have the "Ultimate Classic Collection". Is this a better version? If not, where can I find 2.42 again, since Microprose's Civ II link has gone bad, and will it override the Classic version without creating problems?

- Rib -
    A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
    Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Hi Rib and welcome,
    The Ultimate Classic Collection is the european version of the MultiPlayer Gold (MGE) that is available in the US - it is different from 2.42 - the AI is much more aggressive - whether this is better or worse is a matter of opinion - it is probably best to have both 2.42 & UCC available - to do this rename the civ2 directory that holds your UCC (to UCC perhaps) reinstall your old Civ2 1.07 or whatever (it defaults to mps\civ2\) then patch to 2.42 - the patch is available from this site somewhere and I'm sure the Microprose or Hasbro links will come good
    Hope this helps ....

Bye the bye - I have the Civ2 Multiplayer version that appears to have been available exclusively in the UK for a short period and now is disowned by everyone, but I noticed the other day that DirectX (DxDiag.exe hiding in Program Files|directx|setup) reports this to be MGE!!!

Good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thanks

I think I will repossess my old Civ2 then since I generally play on huge maps (125x80) where aggressiveness cannot be good for the AI. They seem to forget to expand the number of cities and build far too many military units instead. Or else I might simply reset the aggressiveness settings - are there any other differences bewteen the two versions?

- Rib -

A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
      Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Yes..er..well maybe.Someone did a test and concluded that slightly less TOTAL beakers were required in MGE/UCC.

In lieu of a recent discovery by Tom DeMille that showed the number of civs currently in a game had an effect on the science rate ,that test might not be accurate.
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Working...
        X