c195# CIV III AND MOO3, PART II: TBS HAS A FUTURE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c195# CIV III AND MOO3, PART II: TBS HAS A FUTURE

<A href="/misc/column/195_tbs.shtml" target="_top">195# CIV III AND MOO3, PART II: TBS HAS A FUTURE</a>
    <i>We're here to stay!</i>
    by Master Marcus
    Last edited by MarkG; November 20, 2001, 21:18.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I actually agree with most of the article, but I wonder about the title.

Did this have anything to do with moo3? as far as I can tell, the only place it was mentioned was the title.
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

i'm sorry, that's what happens when you work at 3:00am....
      this was the text of the previous column

the correct one is up now.
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Civilization III has proven to be an extremely awesome game. Mainly, I love the fact that the AI can and will prove to be a challenge. Yet, I still believe that Alpha Centauri tops CivIII slightly.
        I consider myself a dedicated Sid Meier addict - It all started with Civilization I. Yet I also cannot wait for the arrival of MOO3. (I recently lost my copy of MOO2, so i bought a new one.)

Nothing can top a good turn-based strategy game!
        "God does not play dice." - Albert Einstein.
        "Einstein was wrong. Not only does God play dice, but the dice are loaded!" - Erwin Schroedinger

Comment

holey moley!

I read the previous column and didn't realize it? ouch!

anyway......

This is further evidence of the old RTS vs. TBS thing. you can't do the overall supervision in an RTS, like you can with a TBS. in fact, many RTS AI's are programmed to distract you at one end of the map while they make an invasion you don't notice at the other end. in a TBS game (like civ), the unnoticed invasion would be noticed, although the player might pull his hair out trying to figure out how to cover both situations.

the example of chess is well taken, and will be used in many years to come.

strangely, this very thing is what makes me apprehensive about moo3. with the IFP's limiting what you can do in the game, it seems to be intentionally trying to make it more like an RTS. and that REALLY bothers me.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

RE:

I am a long time MOO fan. And it was VERY exciting to hear they were releasing a MOO3. But I must admit that I agree with your statement regarding IFP's. I don't like that idea either. I don't like it at all. But I will still buy the game... can't resist another MOO and the rest of it looks very tempting.

Speaking of tempting, the new Civilization 3 looks very, very nice. But I have one reservation. I didn't join the civ scene (because I was so stuck on MOO) until a roommate let me borrow Call To Power. I have recently bought CTP2 and when I did I saw Civ 3. However, there is no mention of ability to colonize the sea floor. This was probably new in the CTP spinoff... but it is a feature that I would very much miss. (Sorry... the SF side of me). I just don't know if I would like a Civ game that didn't allow exploration of the "unknown" or the "not yet possible." Does Civ 3 explore this at all?

-Matthew
            Last edited by primemover; November 24, 2001, 00:54.
            "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs, and run behind the scenes.
            I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound, activate the window, and watch the world go round."

- from Prime Mover by Rush

Comment

Re: RE:

Originally posted by primemover
              I am a long time MOO fan. And it was VERY exciting to hear they were releasing a MOO3. But I must admit that I agree with your statement regarding IFP's. I don't like that idea either. I don't like it at all. But I will still buy the game... can't resist another MOO and the rest of it looks very tempting.

Speaking of tempting, the new Civilization 3 looks very, very nice. But I have one reservation. I didn't join the civ scene (because I was so stuck on MOO) until a roommate let me borrow Call To Power. I have recently bought CTP2 and when I did I saw Civ 3. However, there is no mention of ability to colonize the sea floor. This was probably new in the CTP spinoff... but it is a feature that I would very much miss. (Sorry... the SF side of me). I just don't know if I would like a Civ game that didn't allow exploration of the "unknown" or the "not yet possible." Does Civ 3 explore this at all?

-Matthew
              If you like sea colonies, you can always play Alpha Centauri, which allows sea colonies and a unit workshop that was, no doubt, inspired by MOO.

Comment

Thanks for the tip off FatherBeast. I will look into it. But no go on Civ 3 I take it.
                "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs, and run behind the scenes.
                I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound, activate the window, and watch the world go round."

- from Prime Mover by Rush

Comment

great columm..but civ3 hasn't made a strong case for TBS...its a crappy bugged game which is too easy
                  Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                  X