Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strategic Resources; can`t find them anywhere...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategic Resources; can`t find them anywhere...

I`m playing my game on Regent with the Greeks, i`m doing quite well. It`s 1330 AD, just researched Metallurgy, conquered 5 cities from my neighbours and rivals the Romans, but i have one serious problem. On my continent (and that of the romans), i have only one strategic resource, horses. NO iron, NO salpeter. However there are lots of mountains and hills on my continent, with tons of gold, but not a single one with one of these very important resources. The French and the Russians have Iron, but they won`t trade with me. Launching an attack is not an option: there is a large ocean between us, and they are military very powerful compared to me. Besides, i have my hands full with sweeping those bloody romans of my continent.
    Anyone have any strategy tips on how to find me some iron and salpeter???
    Is there and option when you start a new game that lets you choose how many strategic resources there are???
    Does this have anything to do maybe with the age of the world???
    I need some strategy tips...................................
    Last edited by Dalai Lama; November 19, 2001, 10:11.

Similar to me

Some of that happened in my current game. Two major land masses, 3 civs on mine, 5 civs on the other. I control most of my continent due to a very early war with Egypt. There are like 2 iron, 1 saltpeter, 1 oil but no rubber and when I discovered steam power, no coal, but it later appeared.

The strategy for me, is to try and work with the major powers overseas for as long as possible, I just discovered Refining, and hope to win a peaceful space ship victory. To trade for Rubber cost me about 400 gold and my World Map.

The big thing is to try to keep trading resources, tech and keep everyone happy. I am also avoiding any Mutual Protection Pacts, so I don't get dragged into a World War that might develop on the other contintents. I don't think the Greeks will attack me, I'd wipe them out.

Todd

Comment

Re: Strategic Resources; can`t find them anywhere...

Originally posted by Dalai Lama
      I`m playing my game on Regent with the Greeks, i`m doing quite well. It`s 1330 AD, just researched Metallurgy, conquered 5 cities from my neighbours and rivals the Romans, but i have one serious problem. On my continent (and that of the romans), i have only one strategic resource, horses. NO iron, NO salpeter.

Anyone have any strategy tips on how to find me some iron and salpeter???
      Is there and option when you start a new game that lets you choose how many strategic resources there are???
      Does this have anything to do maybe with the age of the world???
      Ok, I haven't played the game yet, but I'll do my best to repeat to you some advice I have read around here:

- the resources distribution is part of the game: try harder to trade with others civ, or consider to prepare a limited attack to gain access to the resource you need

- double check to gain fresh map from others civ: may be they discovered resources after the last map trading with you.

- Firaxis mentioned that if you work a lot the terrain tiles (workers busy all around) a resource can appear from nothing

- try to survive with units that doesn't need the resources, and play "kind diplomat" until you gain a trade opportunity with another Civ; don't stop to check every now and then, because may be now they refuse to trade because they haven't access to a spare resource (one is needed for themself). After some expansion they can gain some available.

- pack your pride and resign Starting another game is a chance you can use in gaming: it's not real life, so simply enjoy it
      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I`m trying a couple of those, i`ll see how it turns out.
        But what about this: the very first game i started, i was on a medium size continent (20 cities) but there was no fresh water anywhere to be found... No rivers, one lake but that was seperated from the main part by a large mountain chain. No irrigation!!!!!!! Aouch... try to win then...

Comment

Hmm

Its all about luck and that really sucks. Not everyone wants to trade for resources. Hell I never even allow an AI on my land ally or enemy. IF an AI touches my land I kill them. That prevents sneak attacks and I go after enemy resources viggorisly. You should to.

LAst game I played was extreme luck. 5 rubber 4 coal 4 iron 4 saltpeper 2 horses 1 oil. That was all I discovered up to the point.

But land is important. The more land you have the better the chance to get resources. Grab 2 continents if you can.

Comment

My most successful game yet (I expect to win by conquest before the time limit) I was bottled up to 6 cities with no water. Even when I stole water from a neighbor I couldn't get it to most of my cities because of terrain.

Now I own the whole continent and there's no city with a river to build Hoover in. Doh. But it is possible to thrive with no fresh water. By the time the 12 population cap is taken off, you'll basically have electricity in the bag anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X