X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greatest and largest-scale Civ3 mod yet! THE BALANCER 1.0

Originally posted by monkspider
    -Oil should now sometimes appear on coastal tiles. They will not be able to be used as a strategic resource because you need to road to it, but it will still give its bonus resources.
    How about bringing back the Offshore Platform from Civ2. If you build an offshore platform in a city that has coastal oil, then it can be used as a strategic resource. I like the idea of simulating the Persian Gulf, North Sea or Gulf of Mexico oil fields.

Great work on the Mod!
    Hail to the Victors!

Comment

Yep, that's all you need mkinser!
      I hope to release 1.1 this evening, stay tuned.
      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Can this be fixed

Originally posted by Bubba_B
        I have come across a problem with my edit to one unit in particular. The mech inf. unit I edited to carry 1 foot unit to make the marines a little more useful and to take advatage of mobile warfare in respects to foot units. With this edit in place my mech inf. will not go on transports. Once I remove the edit the unit works fine, but with the Trans ability at 1 it will not board transports.
        Make sure that the "LOAD"/"UNLOAD" actions are enables for the Mech. Infantry.

Comment

Thanks Trac.....

TY for responding Trac

I did toggle both the unload and load options for the mech inf along with various other combinations, but still had no success.

I'm beginning to think its just a design thing (transports can not load on other transports). Oh well, I'll just Mod the worthless Marines to make them more useful.

Again Thanks

P.S. It would be great if someone could get this to work so you could use a ground unit to move large groups of units around in one move.

Comment

updated! See the first post! I thank everyone for their wonderful feedback, helping make this mod the best there is!

Comment

Just a quick note.

I just tried a game with this mod pack and I had a little problem. I don't if it was just pure luck but all the oil resource squares were in coastal areas (whole map). I was therefore not able to use any of them.

Has anybody else gotten this problem.

By the way I love all the changes you've made, I was just a little sad when I couldn't use any oil.

Thanks
              Etienne

Comment

Hmm, that's NEVER happened for me Etienne and I consider myself to have played with this mod quite a bit. My best guess is that it was simply exceptionally bad luck, but I shall look into things. If anyone else can report this happeneing please do so.

Comment

I am looking forward to posting version 1.3, I think you will find it to be the most innovative mod yet in Civ 3's short history.
                  Last edited by monkspider; November 17, 2001, 04:18.

Comment

Updated! See initial post!

Comment

monkspider

here is my mod
                      feel free to incorporate any, none, or all of the ideas in it that fit with your Mod

*Tax Collecters now generate 2 taxes, requires currency
                      *Scientists now generate 2 research, require mathematics

Building and Wonder Changes
                      *SAM missile battery now costs 100, added bombard defense of 8
                      *Police Stations now cost 120, added resistance reduces corruption
                      *The Pyramids now put a Pharoah's Sunboat in every city on the continant, stats changed to +2 culture instead of +4
                      *Pharoah's Sunboat cost 80, gives +2 culture, requires the Pyramids for building
                      *Manhatten Project is now a small wonder
                      *Mahatten Project stats changed to enables nukes for that civ, -2 culture, causes 1 unhappy citizen in every city, cost 500
                      *Factory, Manufactoring Plant, Coal Plant, Offshore Platform, Nuclear Plant now causes -1 culture
                      *Solar Plant now costs 360

General Settings Changes
                      *Chance to intercept air mission now 90%
                      *Chance to intercept stealth mission now 7%

General Unit Changes
                      *All civs can now build every general unit
                      *Swordmen now upgrade to riflemen
                      *Longbowmen now upgrade to riflemen
                      *Cavalry now upgrade to tanks
                      *Frigates now upgrade to ironclads
                      *Privateers now upgrade to destroyers
                      *Ironclads now upgrade tp destroyers
                      *Destroyers now upgrade to Aegis Crusiers

Air Unit Changes
                      *Fighters stats now 5.4.2 6[1]6 with Blitz
                      *Bomber stats now 0.3.2 10[4]8 with Blitz
                      *Jet fighter stats now 10.8.3 12[1]8 with Blitz and Radar, cost 120
                      *F-15 stats now 10.8.3 14[2]8 with Blitz and Radar, cost 120
                      *Stealth fighter stats now 0.3.3 15[2]8 with Blitz and Radar
                      *Stealth Bomber stats now 0.1.3 16[4]8 with Blitz and Radar
                      *Cruise Missile stats now 0.0.1 18[4]5 cost 50
                      *Helicopters stats now 0.2.2 6 and can see subs

Naval Unit Changes
                      *Caravel can now only carry two units, speed increased to 4
                      *Privateer stats now 2.1.5, exerts a zone of control, costs 50
                      *Frigate stats now 3(2).3.5
                      *Man-O-War stats now 4.(3).3.5
                      *Ironclad stats now 5(4).5.6
                      *Transport stats now 1.5.6 can now only carry 6 units, cost 90
                      *Destroyer speed increased to 8, can see subs, cost 100
                      *Battleship stats now 21(10).15.8
                      *Carrier stats now 1.10.8 can carry five aircraft cost 200
                      *Submarine stats now 10.4.6 cost 90
                      *Nuclear Submarine stats now 6.8.7 can transport 3 tactical nukes, cost 150
                      *Aegis Cruiser stats now 14(7).12.8

Ground Unit Changes
                      *Paratrooper stats now 10.8.1 paradrop range is 8, cost 110
                      *Marine stats now 12.7.1
                      *Mech Infantry stats now 12.18.3 with Blitz, cost 120
                      *Radar Artillary stats now 0.0.2 16[3]2 with Blitz

Nuclear Weapon Changes
                      *Tactical Nukes now cost 150
                      *ICBMs now cost 300

Comment

Page is down... but with all those changes, i would say its the best mod so far...
                        Stop . Learn . Adjust . Strke

Comment

Trouble

Monkspider, I have been following your progression w/your mod and this am when i found out you had another version i was very eager to give it a try.......however...once i installed the mod per your instructions i started having illegal erros messages...after 3500BC....i even uninstalled the game and reinstalled the mod and the game...plus several other mods i use...such as the wonders info mod...snoopy's terrain mod.....the updated resources mod...and yours.....
                          I have not experienced any crashes at all since i have had civ3 since it came out.....has anyone else experieced any crashes w/the mod or yourself that you can think about???? Any help would be appreciated......
                          My pc specs is as follows..........Tbird850 win98se 256mb 32geforce2pro sblive any ideas?? i really would like to use your mod...but.........i have restarted at least 10 games and all crash around or little after 3500BC, dont know if that is of any significance.....also....the pics for the wonders you created showup in my civopedia as blank or yellow images...should they be actual pics....maybe i have something somewhere wrong but i dont think so...............anyway please help if ya can or anybody else..........

Comment

Originally posted by SnowFire
                            -Adds a new government, Facisim. A great war-time government

I do not understand the obsession with various mod-makers of adding Fascism in as a government. It's a TERRIBLE government. It should not be great at much of anything. The only reason to stick it in might be to make a generally suboptimal government a human player can change to for giving themselves a challenge.

If you want to run a Fascist government, switch to Despotism, and randomly raze your own towns or otherwise attempt to execute your own citizens. Every turn roll a 10% chance of randomly declaring war on some nation. Sound good?
                            Snowfire, Iron Chef & Boris are showing a complete lack of understanding of Fascism's impact on the 20th century, and are succumbing themselves to intense "politically correct" propoganda.

Fascism was indeed evil, and was a black spot on the history of mankind... of course, not to say that other forms have not had the same impact... do Snowfire, Iron Chef and Boris all agree that Communism is an effective, wonderful government to have in the game?

Snowfire shows true ignorance of WWII... "randomly" declaring war on other countries? I don't think so. Furthermore, it was England and France who declared war on Germany, not vice-versa. If Fascism was so damn innefective, why did a SINGLE NATION succesfully conqueur Poland, Norway, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, France, Yugoslavia and Greece, while at the same time severely threaten England and occupy half of European Russia? If that's innefective, I don't know what snowfire's mark of effeciancy is!?!?!

As for the German economy, it was dismal before the Fascists took over... German rearmament and government work programs got the German economy going again, much as FDR's programs did in America (which didn't really get out of the depression until the US rearmed).

Now the evil political goals of Fascism can not be debated, but the Fascist infrastructure was competant enough to turn the world on it's side.

Simply because you want to look "politically correct" and pick the "easy target" of pointing blame at Fascism, doesn't mean that it wasn't a viable or important government in the 20th century. Evil... yes... insignificant... certainly not.

Then again, if you all want to be witch hunters, why aren't you all complaining about Communism being included in the game... Stalin murdered some 30 million people... most of them his own Russians... Communism's economy was so crippling, it toppled the Soviet Union and the entire eastern block of nation's economies... yet you all seem to think it's a viable form of government to have in Civ3 (I haven't heard one "*****" complaint of Communism being in Civ3... I guess killing 30 million commies is okay by you folks).

I can't speak for Monkspider's interpretation of Fascism, which I personally think is way too powerful and unbalancing, but I have a more scaled back version of the Original Civ3 Fascist Patch, which clearly places Fascism as a balanced late-game government in Civ3, which is NOT more powerful than Democracy in Peace, and is NOT more powerful than Communism in war... it has advantages and disadvantages, but then again, I don't think a single one of you bothered to check it's statistics before opening your mouths and commenting.

Why you all lash out at having Fascism in the game, but support Despotism and Communism is a wonder to me in and of itself.

If you all want to become the "Civ3 Moral Majority" and start enforcing your views of what is right and wrong to have in Civ3 by YOUR standards, I think you should at least be fair enough to remove anything objectional... first, perhaps besides attacking having Fascist Patches, you should broaden your scope to include Communism... which was indeed very naughty... then you should remove Despotism too... oh, and that Roman Republic enslaved people too... speaking of slaves, what about American Democracy... well, scratch that goverment... how about the inquisition and Crusades, and a number of other attrocities countless to mention over the centuries? Well, let's get rid of Monarchies.... hmmm... no more governments left... why are nukes in the game? Can't have those either... they kill people... speaking about killing people... let's get rid of all those military units... don't they cause death and destruction.... hmmm... down to settlers and workers... I'm sure you can find something wrong with them too.... why not start having massive Civ3 burning rallies in the street... you who are so just and so righteous should be proud to uphold the morals of the community!
                            Last edited by Wolfshanze; November 17, 2001, 15:33.
                            Wolfshanze Mod: for BtS... adds "flavored Civs", coal-fired navies, WWI units, plus Poland, Austria & Vietnam to Civ4!

Comment

I was trying to download v1.3 of the mod but Geocities says its unvailable!

Please help!

Comment

Monkspider

See my previous post.....i had trouble w/your mod...causeing error messages after playing for a few turns.....well i think i have narrowed it down to the problem....you may want to take a look at it........it seems the problems is coming from one of the other mods that i use........along w/yours.........................here is the list of mods i use w/yours..................1)updated resource mod 2)snoopy's terrain mod 3)wonder civpedia update...
                                i reinstalled civ3 and installed your mod on to it from the start and i played from----the begin upto 1300 ad w/o one crash.....the last time it would crash roughly after about 10-15 turns...and i used pratically the same map and set up etc...............so i believe that one of the other mods is causing a problem.........
                                im going to load one at a time and see if i can figure out the culprit because those other 3 mods are very nice and in my bood a must have right now for civ3----so hopefully it can be narrowed down to which one is coausing the crash and fixed............
                                has anyone else experienced this crash using balancer 1.1 and the other 3 mods i mentinoed above?

anyway rambled on............thought i would let you know about this/..........

Comment

Working...
                                X