Climbing Technology Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing Technology Tree

I’ve been playing Civ2 for a while but have never managed to get advances in 1 or 2 turns. Even under Democracy and cities with Libraries, Universities, SETI Wonder and city improvements that yield more income my advances come every 4 or 5 turns. I’ve read that in the later years of the game one should expect advances every 1 or 2 turns. How can that be achieved?

The Super Science City.Collosus,Cope's Observatory,Sir Isaac's College and sometimes Shake's Theatre in the same city.Preferably at a site that has 4 specials and rivers.Specials should be trade specials like whale,silk,wine,gold etc.

Caravans/freights-delivering them yeilds a one time science bonus equal to the amount of gold recieved.Sometimes delivering just 1 or 2 can be enough to complete researching a tech.You also get trade routes which add to science and income long term
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Yeah...you need an SSC...took me a while to learn...
      Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Also, playing on a small map will make it so you need less science for each advance.

------------------
        SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
        -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
        "It's just a flesh wound!"
        - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mao on 08-01-2000 06:42 PM
          Yeah...you need an SSC...took me a while to learn...

I've gotten it down to 2 turns with massive populations, none of my cities was what you'd refer to as a "super" city.

"You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you" Trotsky
          "I may be wrong or I may be right, but I'm never in doubt"

Comment

Have a go at one of the OCC games available in the Civ 2 - Strategy forum - there you will see that with only one city - carefully placed and absolutely maxed out for science you can achieve a tech a turn with a bit of luck, but a tech every other turn without too much difficulty - IMHO OCC is the easiest way to win at deity - go try it...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Of course you don't HAVE to have the SSC.You don't HAVE to have anything.Large civs can generate 15000+ beakers per turn when maxed out.You can get 3,4,5 techs per turn at that point.But,its alot easier with the SSC.As mentioned the SSC alone can generate enough science beakers for 2 turns per tech.With a few support cities 1 turn should be fairly easy.
              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Working...
              X