My first impressions@

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first impressions@

I am wondering why their are not more disappointment about this "so-called" sequel to my favorite game. I will get hammered for this first complaint. The game looks like a direct rip off of Call To Power. I personally hated that game it never gave the same addictive game play.
    There are so many problems and short comings I am surprised how these magazines and others rate it so high. The diplomacy issues are very much the same as call to power. Civilization will agree to withdraw and stay right there. Even though they are weak because you are 4 times larger than them. This is very unrealistic in my view. Not to mention that the bribery tactic is gone. This is a hugh blow because in the real world bribing is key in military efforts. The map creation problems are amazing. How could they leave out the overhead view of map to help with designing? Where are the great editor features?
    I bought the LE version like an idiot drooling for a new civilization game. I love the Tin Box but I wish I loved the game but I just can't say it. I am playing on the easy level, I am a skilled Civ2 player at Prince and King levels. I am having trouble handling the game at this level.
    I am very upset with Firaxis for releasing a game that does not live up to the series at all. No multiplayer either really sucks! This seems like a rushed to the store product. This is not one of Sid's master software creations. like usual Everyone should be complaining not praising these guys. A score of 9.2 on average for and incomplete game is just funny! I always said that the game makers paid the magazines to print positive things about their games. This is clearly an example of such a pay off! Sorry man but this is one sorry sequel unless they patch the hell out of it!
    Peace
    Desert Dog
    Last edited by Desert Dog; November 12, 2001, 06:21.
    Thanks ~ Desert Fox (Real Nickname)
    Fleet Admiral - NeoTech Games Network - Game News & Game Modding Community

More wisdom from the Settler Nov 2001 crowd.

Can we have a consolidated thread for newbies melodramatically rejecting the false Civ? Just to keep meaningful threads on the first few pages?

This is not one of Sid's mater peice software creation.

Comment

so far i haven't heard defenses that doesn't effectively put civ3 into the fantasy genre, i really don't see why any features that is less real than civ2 should make it to civ3. why is the direction not toward realism but away?

the second thing is why don't people see difficult chellenge is a contingent condition to a good game, but not a necessary condition?

worse still is that some "defenses" are nothing but ad hominem post.
      "this is just a game" is just red herring, get it?

Comment

I'm sorry, but if quoting someone's semi-literate musings is an ad hominem attack, please, lock me up. Am I supposed to reply with "civ3 does not suck?"

Perhaps with a few words mispelt?

The problems with Civ3 are MP, the editor, and bugs. These idiotic one-post users who joined the board to say "I r not likeing civ3" aren't the type one can engage in debate.

Alrighty then. He doesn't like the fact that units don't withdraw when asked, and he doesn't like that he can't bribe like in Civ2.

Well, from my seat units tend to be withdrawn, although often they leave by the other direction, and therefore are able to cross your territory. C'est la vie.

The bribery thing suggests that he wants his lame old easy Civ2 tactics back where a boatful of spies could conquer a continent with far greater ease than an army, by purchasing None-supplied units and cities.

So to sum up, I was dismissive for good reason. These self-important little "this is my gripe and now I'm not gonna play so there" posts are an offense to my sensibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason

Can we have a consolidated thread for newbies melodramatically rejecting the false Civ? Just to keep meaningful threads on the first few pages?

it wasn't the quoting, but your comment:
          -more wisdom from the settler nov 2001 crowd (ad hominem abusive)
          -newbies melodramatically rejecting the false civ (ad hominem abusive again)

as you have noticed, he did made points unlike you, which are all ad hominem.

to address one of your points, bribery is not lame, it's the fact of life, to quote you, c'est la vie. but anyway, i didn't like how it worked in civ 2, not because it's "lame," but because it doesn't include other elements such as morale (at least as far as i can remember), loyalty, etc. it just pretty much uncontrollable. it actually makes it works like a spy shooting out coins as bullet.

but come to think about it, why should it be dismissed? your fiat is not really a good reason, it is no better than his complain of not including bribery in civ 3. it'd be best if a whole new bribe system can be included in civ3 like everything that was rewritten.

anyway, to reply with "civ3 does not suck" would at least be shorter than what you've posted, and save you the typing with no less effectiveness.

Thomas Jefferson said "It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."
          tell us the truth, i believe it will stand good on its own against simple whining.
          "this is just a game" is just red herring, get it?

Comment

Obviously Jason thinks he is a god send and intellectually superior to you "Nov 2001 newbies". In reality however he is just another Apolyton geek using the forums to engage in "intellectual combat" to prove to himself that he is in fact a very bright young man. My best advice to you Jason would be to get a life. Nobody cares how someone expresses their opinion or whether or not they're using grammar as you see fit. And if you really want to get started about newbies, you my friend are a perfect example. So why don't you sit back and shut up before I really get mean? I assure you I am far better at proving intellectual superiority than you are.

Comment

great thread guys

settlers rule

Comment

There's a difference between "ad hominem" and "ad idiot." If someone posts a bunch of garbled crap, I have no problem posting a little "eek" happy-face.

Regarding bribery, I just don't see the out and out "subversion" of units being especially realistic, in most eras. Perhaps in the Thirty Years War one might bribe a regiment or two, but any other time? Civ isn't always about strict realism, but this most certainly isn't it. So there are balance and realism issues which both suggest bribery should have been removed. Cities can still be subverted with propaganda or culture, you just can't go around turning a big bankroll into a huge army of the enemy's own units.

Finally, if you are going to /quote me, please actually include the ENTIRE quotation, and not comments after a quotation that has been excised.

Obviously Jason thinks he is a god send and intellectually superior to you "Nov 2001 newbies". In reality however he is just another Apolyton geek using the forums to engage in "intellectual combat" to prove to himself that he is in fact a very bright young man.
                As a matter of fact, the Nov 2001 newbies' "intellectual combat" is precisely the problem. All of these little message board warrior style posts denouncing Civ3 on dubious grounds. That said, I'm sure plenty of Nov 2001 people (and Sept 2001 people) are perfectly normal users. The vocal minority is just very grating.

My best advice to you Jason would be to get a life. Nobody cares how someone expresses their opinion or whether or not they're using grammar as you see fit.
                I suppose this would be a bad time to bring up the fact that godsend is one word, right? Right.

And if you really want to get started about newbies, you my friend are a perfect example. So why don't you sit back and shut up before I really get mean? I assure you I am far better at proving intellectual superiority than you are
                I very much doubt it. Feel free to give it a shot though. Perhaps you'd even like to mention Civ3 the next time you go off on a meaningless tangent?

Comment

I don't have civ3 first of all, and second of all you obviously don't know who I am. This is probably my 20th name on here. I've been around since April of 1999. I really do love making arrogant self-proclaimed geniuses look like morons. As for Civ3, I don't really care. I only posted here because I spotted your pathetic attempt at an intelligent post and decided it was time to step in and show you your spot in life beneath my boot.

Comment

I don't have civ3 first of all,
                    Imagine my surprise.

and second of all you obviously don't know who I am. This is probably my 20th name on here. I've been around since April of 1999.
                    You... do notice that I've been here since August of the same year? For whatever "username age" is worth. Frankly what I think people on this board need somtimes is age, period.

I really do love making arrogant self-proclaimed geniuses look like morons. As for Civ3, I don't really care. I only posted here because I spotted your pathetic attempt at an intelligent post and decided it was time to step in and show you your spot in life beneath my boot.

This isn't even good spam, alright? You want to have an on-topic argument, I'll oblige you, but whatever the hell that was, spare me. The off-topic is there for you do go declare how 31337 you are to all the other kiddies. This is a Civ3 thread. Scram.

Comment

This is a civ3 thread? I had no idea! This went beyond civ3 when you decided to get pompous and begin insulting on a personal level. So I decided to get to know you on a personal level as well. And now you try to write all this off as if it's nothing more than "SPAM" and I'm some off topic poster? If you like we can talk more about this one ICQ since you feel this should be for civ3 only.

Comment

AAargh! Enough with the "I love civ3" v "I hate civ3" bickerings!
                        And what is with accusing a newbie of being any more or less of a civ "expert" then someone whos been posting here for several years.
                        This I've got more posts so I'm better then you S*** just makes you look less then the newbie! Maybe you should be docked a couple hundred posts to see how it feels to be a newbie.
                        Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
                          Just so you know, there are those of us among the Settler Nov 2001 crowd who very much love the game, who understand that all software has bugs, who greatly admire and appreciate the hard work of the good folks at Firaxis, and who can compose whole sentences. Please don't lump us all together with such a broad brush of bigotry.
                          "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

I still love the game!

Hey don't get me wrong I love turned based games. This is a new tb game based on civ 2. I thought I would see a civ2 with really great enhancements. Now I would like to see a bug list started. Get a patch done soon. Many problems abound with many aspects of the game. Not just my opinion real broken things.

D. G.

Comment

Nice job putting that to rest!

Originally posted by EnigmaticGod
                              Obviously Jason thinks he is a god send and intellectually superior to you "Nov 2001 newbies". In reality however he is just another Apolyton geek using the forums to engage in "intellectual combat" to prove to himself that he is in fact a very bright young man. My best advice to you Jason would be to get a life. Nobody cares how someone expresses their opinion or whether or not they're using grammar as you see fit. And if you really want to get started about newbies, you my friend are a perfect example. So why don't you sit back and shut up before I really get mean? I assure you I am far better at proving intellectual superiority than you are.
                              Well said, and I am not a newbie! Civ III should be called something like, Call To Power III instead. I do like it much better than CTP2. It is only my opinion which I am entitled too. I figured many more disappointed Civ2 fans would voice there opinions. If it is not broke don't fix it is my motto. Plenty of things in Civ2 were perfect and should have been brought over.
                              I laugh at anyone who uses the Internet to make his "****" bigger than it really is! Apolyton Geek or anyone who trys to flame people for their posts and make them look okay is out of line! Later.................... Much later! This forum is worthless for Civ III news!

Desert Dog

Comment

Working...
                              X