Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFX Glitches ?

Hiho,

i am experiencing major gfx glitches in the game.
    Usually after some time, all my borders turn black
    instead of yellow for example, and all units that i
    can see, start changing colours rapidly
    (friendly and hostile).

As you can see, my borders are black and my units
    are mainly blue, although i am egypt (yellow) and
    my opponent on the north is roman (red).

System Specs:

Athlon 700 (Slot A)
    640 MB SDRAM (512+128)
    Elsa Gladiac MX (Geforce MX, tried Nvidia 21.80 and Elsa Drivers)
    Win98SE & WinXP (Glitch happens with both)
    EPOX K7XA Mainboard

I attached a savegame , to see if someone else experiences the same problems.

Cheers,

WyattMax
    Attached Files

Re: GFX Glitches ?

Originally posted by WyattMax
    i am experiencing major gfx glitches in the game.
    Usually after some time, all my borders turn black
    instead of yellow for example, and all units that i
    can see, start changing colours rapidly
    (friendly and hostile).
    [
    Just an observation - looks like you have used some of the graphics changes Sn00py has made, judging by the colour of your mountains and hills.......

...not surprising you're having GFX glitches!!

I would suggest reverting back to the original graphics files - either that or contact Sn00py.
    tis better to be thought stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting

Comment

You mean the mod packs (real mountains), nono , it happens as well if i use the original files

Comment

Originally posted by WyattMax
        You mean the mod packs (real mountains), nono , it happens as well if i use the original files
        WyattMax I need to be honest with you - I don't currently have a copy of CIV III, which for most people would make my opinion worthless
        However the approach I am suggesting is a basic troubleshooting process based on many years of experience working within IT + modding etc in CIV II. so if you forgive me... may I suggest the following?

Did the problems occur before you installed the graphics mods?

If the answer to that is no...then the mods have changed some aspect of the game build...quickest solution would be to remove/uninstall CivIII and then re-install the vanilla version of Civ III. This would be the only way to guarantee that there were no unwanted files present in your installation of CIV III - unwanted system files being a likely cause of the failure to fix the problem by reverting back to the original graphics files, as not all unwanted files have been removed/overwritten.

another thing - have you got copies of the changed graphics files sitting in a subdirectory of the CIVIII folder?

This may not be causing the problem, but some software (as was the case in CIV2) will search for certain files through all games subdirectories - this can lead to conficts.

Well I hope I'm helping and not just producing a lot of electronic hot air.

Comment

Problems

I forgive you

Basically, the glitch appeared right after my first installation, at some point in the game (usually while the CPU takes his turn), it occurs.

Seemingly randomly, no matter if the new gfx or the original ones.

I would think it has something to do with my Geforce MX , and less with Civilization3, however i have not worked it out yet.

I have tinkered with my drivers yesterday and was able to play ~6 hours before the glitch occured, usually it happens way earlier.

About the other files, yes i have backups on my HD, will check that this evening.

However, i'll try to reinstall with the original game, i just remembered that i installed from the Deviance release and
          installed a crack, that may be the problem after all. Since
          i already picked my Civ3 from the store shelves, i'll try that first.

Comment

Well good luck

.....nothing more irritating having to waste time fixing when you could be playing..... especially as after 6hrs it's usually the early hours of the morning

Comment

Yes, well, it was kinda early

4 am when i finally went to sleep (the glitch stopped me

Am i glad i still have 1 week vacation

Comment

Working...
              X