Dark clouds on the horizon revealed after purchase of the strategy guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark clouds on the horizon revealed after purchase of the strategy guide

I see that someone else here has purchased the strategy guide as well, and has done an excellent job of getting some info out to boot. Good show Andrew. In any event there are two major things that disappointed me after my purchase of the Strategy Guide.

1. Government types are as rigid and boring as they are in Civ 2. From what I gather, Democracy is still nye-worthless for war, adn Communism is nye-worthless for science. Worst of all though, there is no real reason not to be Communism or Democracy. In other words, whatever the older govs do, the new ones do better.

2. There has been what looks like an increasing Civ-2-esque governement. From the description of some of the higher difficulty levels, it sounds like they just heap tons of unhappiness on you. So it will be more like the computer trying to create challenges for the player, rather than acting in a realistic way.

oh yeah, one other HUGE disappointment
    3. Elvis is confirmed as being OUT!

I haven't had a chance to read it terrribly throughly but that is what I have gathered thus far. In spite of the bad news i have posted, there is really quite a bit to be excited about.
    On the plus side though, here is quote from the last page, which is an interview with Sid.

Prima: One Final question, Civilization IV. Have you thought whether you'd like to do Civ IV and, if so, what might it be like?
    Sid: That's a good question. If the fans still want more after Civ III, then we'll talk about giving them more.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Okay, I have found one more thing that kind of stinks. The age-old build Manhattan project and everyone gets nukes rule is STILL in place!

Comment

Here's something else odd, Americans are classified under the same Global Culture as the Zulus, Iroquois, and Aztecs. Would they not make more sense grouped with the European cultures? I'm sure we have had better relations with European powers than with the indigonous peoples of America.

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
        1. Government types are as rigid and boring as they are in Civ 2.
        This is several months old news, Monkspider. If you want to share info from this new strategy guide - at least give us unknown, not previously puplicized stuff instead. Besides; some prefered SE, and some other really prefer the Civ-govs system (me, for instance). Whats "rigid" and "boring" is a matter of subjectivity. Go for the objective facts, first and foremost - try to keep subjective whining out from these initial posts, please.

From what I gather, Democracy is still nye-worthless for war
        Good (old) news! Civ-democracy has so many strong & positive benefits associated with it, anyway. Allowing unhindered & problemless world-conquering wars under democracy, with Alexander/Napoleon/Hitler-style landgrabbing war-objectives would make this Gov waaay to powerful.

Worst of all though, there is no real reason not to be Communism or Democracy. In other words, whatever the older govs do, the new ones do better.
        Why not post direct quotes from this strategy-guide instead? Exactly what benefits/disadvantages has despotism, monarchy, republic, communism & democracy, respectively?

Give us objective FACTS - not your personal viewpoints.
        Last edited by Ralf; October 28, 2001, 05:38.

Comment

The age-old build Manhattan project and everyone gets nukes rule is STILL in place!
          The guide is wrong. The Man. Proj. is already confirmed as a Small Wonder. A lot of the info in the guide was not updated in time.
          Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

Originally posted by Falconius

The guide is wrong. The Man. Proj. is already confirmed as a Small Wonder. A lot of the info in the guide was not updated in time.
            This little 'fault' has made me decide not to even bother with the strat guide for sure now [ok, maybe I won't buy it, but a peak is acceptable, right?].

Elvis is out? Thank the Maker! The tackiness level of that old icon is beyond measuring.

Plus I don't like Elvis' music.

Comment

who needs a strat guide when that's what skool is for ? This is not exactly Tomb Raider where they stick damn levers and hidden passages all over the place ya know...

Comment

Re: Dark clouds on the horizon revealed after purchase of the strategy guide

From the description of some of the higher difficulty levels, it sounds like they just heap tons of unhappiness on you. So it will be more like the computer trying to create challenges for the player, rather than acting in a realistic way.
                My son and I have argued over this ever since we started to play Civ 1 nearly 10 years ago!

He finds the whole issue of population happiness a bore and just wants to get on with the other aspects of the game.

I feel that it's an integral part of running a nation. One of the major factors for any ruler is that, regardless of what he does strategically to conquer or stay ahead of the rest of the world, he must first of all maintain control of his own country. And there is no perfect way to maintain this control -- whatever method has been tried through history, there has always been a downside.

The Civ games abstract this level of control in the form of city happiness, and, in my opinion, it works very well, except for sometimes seeming to be a bit too much of a predictable formula. But if you want to just build barracks and crank out military units without any consideration of the other aspects of ruling, it seems like there are lots of other games out there for you.

Meanwhile, what could make for a better "difficulty level" determiner than how tough it is to stay in control of your own people? None of us like AI cheats, so this seems like a great solution to me.

As to Civ 3, we'll soon see how it plays out, but I think the effect of the luxury resources will make things more interesting. And "war weariness" sounds more real and less formulaic than in the past.

Comment

Re: Dark clouds on the horizon revealed after purchase of the strategy guide

1. Government types are as rigid and boring as they are in Civ 2. From what I gather, Democracy is still nye-worthless for war, adn Communism is nye-worthless for science. Worst of all though, there is no real reason not to be Communism or Democracy. In other words, whatever the older govs do, the new ones do better.
                  As we say in the software industry, that's not a bug, it's a feature. Communism and Democracy are supposed to make Monarchy and Republic obsolete. They are more advanced, more modern forms of government.
                  Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

What did you expect, of coarse monarchy and older tech govs are going to be obselete. I'm happy about elvis being out, though that manhattan project thing really scared me for a second. That seriously annoyed me in civ2. I always thought why should i build, if someone else builds it then i can use nukes without that damn wonder
                    Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Originally posted by Falconius
                      For sure! This guides are all a crap.
                      Burn them all!
                      Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Comment

Re: Re: Dark clouds on the horizon revealed after purchase of the strategy guide

Originally posted by old dog
                        One of the major factors for any ruler is that, regardless of what he does strategically to conquer or stay ahead of the rest of the world, he must first of all maintain control of his own country. And there is no perfect way to maintain this control -- whatever method has been tried through history, there has always been a downside.

The Civ games abstract this level of control in the form of city happiness, and, in my opinion, it works very well, except for sometimes seeming to be a bit too much of a predictable formula. But if you want to just build barracks and crank out military units without any consideration of the other aspects of ruling, it seems like there are lots of other games out there for you.

Meanwhile, what could make for a better "difficulty level" determiner than how tough it is to stay in control of your own people? None of us like AI cheats, so this seems like a great solution to me.

As to Civ 3, we'll soon see how it plays out, but I think the effect of the luxury resources will make things more interesting. And "war weariness" sounds more real and less formulaic than in the past.
                        Very good points. Totally agree.
                        Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Re: Re: Dark clouds on the horizon revealed after purchase of the strategy guide

Originally posted by albiedamned
                          As we say in the software industry, that's not a bug, it's a feature. Communism and Democracy are supposed to make Monarchy and Republic obsolete. They are more advanced, more modern forms of government.
                          Maybe. But note that Despotism, in CivI, was so cleverly conceived that it stopped being obsolete, and became viable again, in the Modern Age.
                          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Dark clouds on the horizon revealed after purchase of the strategy guide

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune

Maybe. But note that Despotism, in CivI, was so cleverly conceived that it stopped being obsolete, and became viable again, in the Modern Age.
                            You say cleverly conceived, I say misconceived. I doubt they meant it that way!
                            Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dark clouds on the horizon revealed after purchase of the strategy guide

Originally posted by albiedamned
                              I doubt they meant it that way!
                              But, of course! Where have you spent the last century?
                              Modern Despotism = Fascism.

Comment

Working...
                              X