Four Easy (ok so maybe they aren't easy) Steps To Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Easy (ok so maybe they aren't easy) Steps To Success

Here is my pre-game strategy for Civ3. Following these four major steps (Ancient, Middle, Renaissance, Industrial) will require great precision, patience, and planning but all will pay off in the end.

Ancient Era-
    In the Ancient Era acquire some strong allies. These allies will be there to bail you out in case of a war (which you should try to avoid at this point). They will also be willing to trade with you, which means you will be able to get valuable resources, undiscovered techs, money, etc... Now try not to stick out like a sore thumb in this era either. What I mean by this is don't be too militariastic, so culturally focused that you become too weak in the military front, don't become too large in size, etc... Basically just try to stay well rounded in all areas. As your nation continues to grow make sure you keep your cities close together. Doing this will make it easier for defence, which will be very important. Also, IMO it will pay off in the long run as well. Make sure you don't feel afraid to venture out and explore. Only use colonies at this point in the game when completely neccesary. Following these steps in the Ancient era will give you an edge for the rest of the game.

Middle Ages-
    This is the time to now invest in culture and expansion the most. By now most Civs live in their own distinct areas, with each one having various amounts of land. Getting a fairly large chunk of land now will give you an edge throughout the game. Now your nation can't be so large that you are incapable of having a balanced Civ. Remember that the key for now is staying pretty well balanced. Even though, you will be interested in culture and expansion at this point. Jump starting the culture will make many resources available to you without having to use a colony. If you are to use a colony in this age again use it wisely. For a worker might be more valuable than a resource at this point. Continue having a solid enough defence that you will be well prepared for an attack. A tip for defending is to build many fortresses around your borders. In the fortresses try to make every other one contain an offensive unit inside. The offensive unit will give you the oppurtuniy to attack the enemy when they approach your borders. Only have every other fortress contain an offensive unit and all the rest contain defensive because remember you are still on the defensive. In your cities try to primarily have the best defensive units availabe to you. Plus have a sufficient amount of cheap, fast units laying around.

Renaissance Age -
    Follow the definition of renaissance. For those of you who don't know what the simple definition is - rebirth. What does that mean? Well, get real interested in the arts and science first off. Continue to invest more into culture, but even more so into science. Now is the time to get a huge lead in science or at least be one of the top of the line science Civs. By now your culture should be pretty good, so investing more into it will make it great. Continue your defensive approach, but don't let other Civs request absurd things out of you just so you can stay at peace. Start to lay down the law the a tiny bit. Other Civs need to know that you are a Civ to be reckoned with.

Industrail Age -
    It's time to hit the weight room so to speak. You've created your weight room (culture, expansion, science) now use it (military). Since you have probably irritated other Civs by not bowing to their wants recently you need to protect yourself. Wait, not only do you need to protect yourself you need to have the capabilities of attacking in fierce measures. Although, this doesn't mean that you don't continue to upgrade your weight room, just start to use it a lot more.

Modern Age -
    Continuing on my previous metaphor, flex your muscle and make sure other Civs see it. You can interpret this however you want in game terms; for I am leaving the rest up to you. Good luck and have fun.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Also, I don't want to get any crap for not including this in the 'strategies to try out' thread. For this single topic deserves to be the whole subject in a thread.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

or my way

Ancient Era-
      aquire iron bronze and horses in any way possible. capture at least one opposing civ.

Middle Ages-
      work towards guns as fast as possible. kill off another 2 civs.

Industrial Ages-
      begin genocides. kill off another civ or 2.

Modern Ages-
      give the world a green glow.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I just take out enemy civs during any age. The faster the better.
        The greatest generals in history didn't use war simulations, they just played Civ 2

An old saying goes "For every language a man knows, he is that many times a man"
        Therefore, George Bush is half a man.

Comment

How about this:

Ancient - conquer everone

Medievil - You won

Industrial - You won

Modern - Damit i told you already won

Seriously though that is a good strategy
          Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Ancient- 10 cities, hardly any units, get iron
            Middle- 5 cities, hardly any units, horses (to trade)
            Industrial- Take my army and roll over a few strategic cities. Also win the game if going for any victory except Space
            Modern- Win quickly for space race.

Always play 16 civs, 256*256 world. Start at Prince, work way up.
            Last edited by Lawrence of Arabia; October 28, 2001, 14:29.
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

What are you all talking about? You should definitely tailor-fit your strats to the Civ you are playing.

At least I sure hope they play differently.
              Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

10 cities? It may be harder to expand in Civ 3 then in previous versions because of how much settlers and workers cost in population poionts, but I usually found 20 cities by the begining of the middle ages. Found first city, build 1 defence unit (explorer is exploring) 1 more warrior (or phalanx when u have tech) to escot settler, then build 2 settlers. Each founded city builds 2 settllers before it builds any attack units or buildings, up until I have enough cities (20 or so)

If theres a nearby threat, only then do other cities build non settelers, and usually just poping up sime city walls or building 3 -4 combat units will hold them off until im ready. Its a slow military/scintific/industrious start, but after a little while ive got 20 - 25 good cities, and I sky rocket past the AI in tech, money, and productin power. Then its time to wipe em out. This strat worked in civ1/2 ctp1/2 and SMAC, should do it for Civ 3.

Think about it.... Gotta be quiet militarily in the very start, but in the middle ages each vity just has to build 1 unit.... and there you go, an army of 20 knights. etc as you go up the tech tree.

Comment

btw didnt want that to seem insulting lawrence, I agree with you, just make the 10 a 20.

Comment

btw didnt want that to seem insulting lawrence, I agree with you, just make the 10 a 20.
                    Hey, no problem. Constructive criticism is ok. In civ2, i would build 20 cities in ancient era, but i figured that since settlers now cost twice as much, ill only be able to build half as many cities.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
                      What are you all talking about? You should definitely tailor-fit your strats to the Civ you are playing.

At least I sure hope they play differently.
                      if you mean playing AS i'm almost always going to be the Germans, military/science r0x0rz!

if you mean playing AGAINST i hope that actually factors in to each game's strategy. starting near the zulu should be completely different than starting near the indians.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Mars
                        How about this:

Ancient - conquer everone

Medievil - You won

Industrial - You won

Modern - Damit i told you already won

Seriously though that is a good strategy
                        Nicely put.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                          or my way

Ancient Era-
                          aquire iron bronze and horses in any way possible. capture at least one opposing civ.

Middle Ages-
                          work towards guns as fast as possible. kill off another 2 civs.

Industrial Ages-
                          begin genocides. kill off another civ or 2.

Modern Ages-
                          give the world a green glow.

okay for civ2, now what about civ3?

Comment

UberKrux Love the statement of giving the world a green glow.

Just what we need RFN!
                            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

I am pretty confident that OCC will work very well in Civ3.
                              Just watch me build a hundred colonies!
                              A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                              Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Working...
                              X