Mining Hills and Mountains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mining Hills and Mountains?

Can we still mine hills and mountains for extra resources? The screenshots I've seen don't show this.
    Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
    "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

I would imagine the answer would be - yes.

Comment

Ya... but I need proof!
      Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
      "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

Don't we all!

Comment

Check some screenshots and you'll see mines on hills and mountains. Enough proof to you?

Comment

Unfortunately, you can also mine grassland.

Comment

Originally posted by Slax
              Unfortunately, you can also mine grassland.
              Truely. Quite frankly, I've never really understood why one would do that!

(Even though the AI constantly did it in past Civ games...)
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Actually it does kind of make sense. If you are in the middle of a grassy area with no plains mountains or anything else then you'll want to get your resources from somewhere ( yes I know they did the whole 'grassland - shield' thing which personally made no sense to me. Just call it 'grassland - rocks' or something. )
                A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Well yeah, I have seen screenshots where mining hills and mountains can be quite clearly seen. Although I think that a mined mountain should generate more shields than a mined hill though...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    Well yeah, I have seen screenshots where mining hills and mountains can be quite clearly seen. Although I think that a mined mountain should generate more shields than a mined hill though...
                    I too never understood why you can get more production out of a mined hill than you could from a mined mountain...I would think it would have been reversed!
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Ease of extraction and transport I would guess.
                      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                      H.Poincaré

Comment

But they should give some reason to use them, otherwise everyone will just terraform them to hills to get more minerals and a bit of food as well! The difficulty of access and working should make the turns to terraform longer (as is the case) but the rewards higher. Firaxis, any comment?
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Well, there is one reason for mountians in Civ3 = a further Line of Sight (LOS) for any unit stationed on top of the mountain.

But I still think that shield production should be increased more when there is a mine present.

Comment

I guess they could, but in CtP I was always transforming hills to mountains because it was more efficient the other way round there.

That improved sight range really cracks me up. Being miles up a mountain would be worse for scouting the surroundings than any hilltop a bit higher than the surrounding ground. What are you doing, clinging to the snow capped pinnacle so you can see in all directions?
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                              I guess they could, but in CtP I was always transforming hills to mountains because it was more efficient the other way round there.

That improved sight range really cracks me up. Being miles up a mountain would be worse for scouting the surroundings than any hilltop a bit higher than the surrounding ground. What are you doing, clinging to the snow capped pinnacle so you can see in all directions?
                              When I was in Boy Scouts we would frequently hike up mountains. On small mountains when I wasn't even at the peak, I could see for miles and miles. If their were military units, hills, or desert below me, I would have definetely seen them. Trust me, LOS is greatly improved by high ground.

And you should be able to mine anything. The difference between hills and grassland is that what would be under ground on a grassland is instead above ground.

Also, it's easier to get into hills than mountains, that's the reason for more shields in a hill. Though if you spent more time on a mountain... you should get more production I would think.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X