Direct x8 and Civ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct x8 and Civ 3

What I am wondering is if certain things can be turned off eg Unit movement. Is it possible to just have them stationary when i move them (they go to the place I select but don't animate). Many of my games slow down with DX7, so can I turn off things that will make the game go slower for me ?.
    I was promised a new comp this month, but my mum stepped in and ordered my dad to get new furniture for the front room.
    "I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but WWIV will be fought with sticks & stones". Albert Einstein
    "To Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"- Homer Simpson

I don't know for sure, of course, but I imagine animations can be turned off.

Comment

I hope so, if not I'll only be able to play at weekends on my Grandads athlon 1.2 ghz Damnit i want that computer.
      "I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but WWIV will be fought with sticks & stones". Albert Einstein
      "To Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"- Homer Simpson

Comment

According to Infogrames DirectX 7 is the requirement. See here.

David
        "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by Crouchback
          According to Infogrames DirectX 7 is the requirement. See here.

David
          According to Civ3 site. you need a DirectX 8a video card. Alot of video cards intended for workstations and home office systems have problems with DirectX. The higher the DirectX, the worse the problems. I can run CAD and photo editing programs fine, but even with the animation turned off a DirectX game will eventually freeze up my system. Guess its time to buy a GeForce2.
          "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

DirectX 8 has a BIG performance boost over DirectX 7, regardless of the machine its on (provided of course that the machine supports it )

Comment

The news just gets worse! It looks like nothing short of a new computer is going to be able to play Civ3! Woe is me!

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo
                DirectX 8 has a BIG performance boost over DirectX 7, regardless of the machine its on (provided of course that the machine supports it )
                Hmm??? That is nonsense. DirectX8 adds support for exotic programmable 3D graphics mainly. There is no performance boost.

Also, DirectX8 can be installed on almost all PC's (videocard type determines that), but the question is whether it will deliver a bearable visual experience or a slide show.

Comment

Hehe.

Pentium 4 1,6GHZ ................ Check!
                  Geforce2 .............................. Check!

Life is just about priorities!
                  Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
                  If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
                  "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

Originally posted by campmajor!
                    Pentium 4 1,6GHZ ................ Check!
                    Geforce2 .............................. Check!

Life is just about priorities!
                    A wife without a payed job ................ Check!
                    Two young children to feed ................ Check!
                    Some unexpected expense .................Check!
                    My new notebook .............. no way, forget it!

Tell me about priorities!
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Taxes............................................. ......Check!
                      an old Car............................................Che ck
                      Yups... known situation.
                      -------------------------------><------------------------------
                      History should be known for learning from the past...
                      Nah... it only shows stupidity of mankind.
                      -------------------------------><------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Surely Lord Vorkosigan can deal with trifles like that, eh, "Adm. Naismith"?
                        "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                        "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Legacy

Hmm??? That is nonsense. DirectX8 adds support for exotic programmable 3D graphics mainly. There is no performance boost.

Also, DirectX8 can be installed on almost all PC's (videocard type determines that), but the question is whether it will deliver a bearable visual experience or a slide show.
                          Go checkout some multimedia benchmarks comparing DirectX7 and DirectX8, and unless there is something opposing those that I have seen in my magazines, then I must say it is not nonsense.

Comment

I concur Nemo.
                            "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                            "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

16 years old...... check
                              Making £25 a week..... check
                              Gonna take me about a year to buy my own comp..... check

Upgraded the one downstairs ( this one ) to a 1.3 Ghz athlon AMD though so no complaints.........
                              A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                              X