Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artillery and Cannon: They need other units to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artillery and Cannon: They need other units to work?

I was reading somewhere that these units can be captured and that they require another unit in order to operate them.

How does that work? Anyone know? Do the two units meld together, or does another unit have to be on the same square in order for them to work?

Anyone... anyone...?
    Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
    "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Idea:
    you know about the bomber stuff, no attack just "mission" or "operation" capabilities? I think all the bombing/bombarding stuff will be treated this way.
    So no attack in the classic sense, but bombarding (softening) capabilities - used by an other unit or army.
    The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around: it cracked and growled and roared and howled like noises in a swound!

Comment

Yes... I know that they will have a bombard value, but I heard that they need another unit to operate. Meaning, on their own, they can't function. I wish I knew where I saw that.

Comment

that is not correct.. a cannon is a self-capable unit, in the same way as it was before..
        nothing required to operate..

they might be captured though.. im not sure but most probably any unit with a defence value 0 --workers, catapults, etc.-- might be captured..

Comment

Jason

i too have heard what you are talking about, and i don't have time to track down the exact quote right now but i agree with Yoleus

i think the quote was a miss interpretation of how artillary works...firaxis was trying to explain about bombard attacks in my opinion, since a bombard doesn't kill an enemy and that regular units are still needed

however if it is true that you must man a catapult then i think that will add extra micromanagement to the game without a single beneficial outcome, not only that it would violate the civ philosophy of abstraction and simplification

lets just hope that this is another misinterpretation, like the nationalism is a government misinterpretation

Comment

Originally posted by cort
            that is not correct.. a cannon is a self-capable unit, in the same way as it was before..

they might be captured though.
            Well, maybe your right.

But who would dare to besiege a city, or just move around catapults/cannons/howitzers alone within enemy-territory, if they are easily stealable, even by a 1-1-1 enemy warrior-unit? Using them in armies only seems to be the safest and most practical route.

Originally posted by Korn469
            however if it is true that you must man a catapult then i think that will add extra micromanagement to the game without a single beneficial outcome, not only that it would violate the civ philosophy of abstraction and simplification
            Why? Infact, its seems easier to me to have them in armies - you move around 1 single army-stack, instead of 3-4 units independently. Also, I dont think one is forced to have them in armies only - they ARE self-operating, I believe. But because of their zero point defence-stat, it seems more clever to incorporate them in armies only.

Comment

Hmmmmm stacks.......

see http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=29223
              A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf
                ... because of their zero point defence-stat, it seems more clever to incorporate them in armies only.
                Yes, if they keep their full bombard capacity with an army that includes a non-bombard unit. But Firaxis says, somewhere, that armies a re offensive items for taking heavily defended cities. So I'm hoping that putting a defensive unit on the same tile as my artillery will be enough to protect them.

David
                "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by Crouchback
                  So I'm hoping that putting a defensive unit on the same tile as my artillery will be enough to protect them.
                  Thats an alternative also. I hope thats possible - why shouldnt it be?

Comment

I believe that since artillery and cannon are defenceless, it would make sense that Firaxis would have simply required a unit to accompany the artillery or cannon.

Like mentioned in this tread above, it would be pretty senseless to send a connon unit out on it's own without something to protect it.

I'm just wondering whether you can group these two units together to reduce micromanagement, which is another concern mentioned here.

Comment

It really seems bizzare that building a catapult or cannon wouldn't imply training a crew. I suppose by killing the crew, a siege weapon could be captured, but wouldn't the crew fight back, possibly ending in the weapon's destruction? A bunch of warriors couldn't just charge at and sieze a cannon aimed at them.
                      "I'm a little confused. Are U.S. citizens allowed to kill suspected terrorists now?"
                      "I think so. But you have to be really, really sure that the person is a suspected terrorist! So be super-double sure that they make you feel nervous!"
                      "Well, this dude standing by my desk is wearing a really f***ed-up jacket - can I cap him?"

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
                        Like mentioned in this tread above, it would be pretty senseless to send a connon unit out on it's own without something to protect it.
                        And your enemy is very happy about your "gift"

Comment

too lazy to read all the threads so heres what i know.

in that shot with the build queue the catapults attack rating is 0(4) meaning it can be captured if it is alone, and can attack (bombard) if it is with another unit.

will stacks work, or do they have to be in an army?
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Jingo
                            will stacks work, or do they have to be in an army?
                            Considering the rarity of armies, I would have to assume a stack would work, else artillery would be nigh useless.

Btw, did you change your username a few days ago? I always preferred UberKruX.
                            Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

Originally posted by Jingo:
                              in that shot with the build queue the catapults attack rating is 0(4) meaning it can be captured if it is alone, and can attack (bombard) if it is with another unit.
                              So according to you, they need to be accompanied by another unit in order to be used. How do you come to that conclusion in a screen shot?

Comment

Working...
                              X