Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are 'events editor' and 'scripting language' the same thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 'events editor' and 'scripting language' the same thing?

We have heard from Dan that no scripting language (a la SLIC in CtP) will be included in Civ3. Is this the same thing as an event editor? The inability to include pre-arranged events will be a disasterous blow to the scenario-making community.

Is it possible that an event editor will be included, if not now then for the patch? Can Dan or someone comment on this? Just as I don't mind waiting for MP, I wouldn't mind waiting for this, but to leave out any event capabilities would be inconsistent with Firaxis' claims that they intend to support the scenario-making community with greater scenario/mod features, etc.

Dan said that editing Civ3 is fairly easy easy, so I assume that there is an event editor in the editor, but there wouldn't just be an event editor.
    be free

Comment

I never really used the events editor in Civ2, but AFAIK it was limited to events and procedures. A scripting language, like SLIC can do so much more. It handles events, locally, globally, unit, city, civ or tile-specifically; it can change rules, add rules, add concepts, remove concepts etc.

I have been thinking hard about the essential differences between modding Civ[x] and CtP/2 and that is that with CtP you can change rules, in Civ you can change where the rules apply to. I know which I prefer.
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

They probaly added only an editing tool. It's better for amateurs even though it constranes those with more skill
        Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Working...
        X