Gone Gold says Civ3 officially gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpeddling on MP

Ok, I stand corrected. I assumed that with the length of the game, you may end up with a rather high internet bill.

So, tell me, how much are you MP advocates paying each month to your internet provider?
    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

• So, tell me, how much are you MP advocates paying each month to your internet provider?
      Most people usually pay a flat fee for Internet. Whether their Internet be dial-up, dsl, cable, etc... You also have to remember that there are other ways to play MP. Such as through a LAN, PBEM (Play By E-Mail), and hotseat (a game being played on one computer with each person switching their seats after there turn is done...hint hint the name hotseat).

Russel you should have just stould corrected and not make yourself look like an even bigger fool.
      However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

• Re: Backpeddling on MP

Originally posted by Russell
        Ok, I stand corrected. I assumed that with the length of the game, you may end up with a rather high internet bill.

So, tell me, how much are you MP advocates paying each month to your internet provider?
        Playing PBeM doesn't require a lot of time logged on. The turn is zipped to between 30-80k so downloading it doesn't take that much time. Play the game offline - Zip the turn and attach it to an email and connect again. No biggy. Playing an IP game does require much more time but I generally don't play that way.
        'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

• Originally posted by TechWins

Most people usually pay a flat fee for Internet.
          Correction: Most people in the USA pay a flat fee for Internet.

Many of our friends overseas still have to pay a fee based on usage for their time online. Their countries haven't built the "Unlimited Internet Access" minor wonder yet.

As for Multiplayer, there is a very vocal minority (which includes the gaming press) that have convinced developers that it is a "must have" feature in every game. This is ludicrous. Too many games are produced that do not have a wide enough audience to support online play. Others have a time commitment for playing that makes sustainable online play unrealistic for the majority of users. Civ3 falls into the latter category. Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't bother with multiplayer, just that Firaxis did the right thing by not making multiplayer a priority for the initial offering (assuming, of course, they don't surprise us.......)
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuie

Correction: Most people in the USA pay a flat fee for Internet.

Many of our friends overseas still have to pay a fee based on usage for their time online. Their countries haven't built the "Unlimited Internet Access" minor wonder yet.
            I'll think you will find this is much rarer now as most countries have ISP's that provide flat fee services although broadband access isn't as widely available as in the USA.

Comment

• Yep.

Flat fee services that cut you off after 2 hrs and ban you if you happen to use an 'unlimited' service too much. The internet in Europe is not freindly to the gamer.

Good job I have ADSL

Dave
              Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Comment

• Originally posted by Jingo
                i saw the movie. sorry if i have enough of a life not to remember every word of it.
                Touchy touchy
                The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

• stupid question dept.

What does it mean for a game to "go gold:, and why do we care?
                  It sounds like it refers to a sales figure, yet the game has not been sold yet? What am I missing?
                  "Nine out of ten voices in my head CAN'T be wrong, can they?"

Comment

• It means that the final version that is going to the shops is finished and it has gone to the manufacturer to make the CD.
                    'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

• Thanks. That explains the excitement.
                      "Nine out of ten voices in my head CAN'T be wrong, can they?"

Comment

• The difference between the US and the UK version is that in the US it will cost you only an arm and a leg, but in the UK they will want a few pounds more.
                        Keep playing till I shoot through...

And as a wise man once said... Varium et Semper Femina.

Comment

• waooh. i am realy surprised at how quickly that happened. They have kept to their predicted finish time as well. only 10 days to go... I hope the LE comes out in UK same time or soon, as i can't be bothered to pay extra for it from the US, and i really want that tech tree.

Comment

• Originally posted by TechWins
                            Uber why did you change your name to Jingo or am I mistaken on the true identidy of Jingo?
                            jin·go (jngg)
                            n. pl. jin·goes
                            One who vociferously supports one's country, especially one who supports a belligerent foreign policy; a chauvinistic patriot.
                            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Golden, baby, GOLDEN!

cough, cough, dusts off account...
                              wow 5 messages since 1999

ANYWAYS, ITS FINALLY GOLD!!!!!!!
                              ....celebrates loudly for several hours....

time to quit work, dump the girlfreind, cut all ties with my family, install the toilet conversion in my computer chair, hook up to life support, and play till I can beat CIV III on diety.

now what can I do about the dog

Comment

• Re: Golden, baby, GOLDEN!

Originally posted by BigBopper
                                now what can I do about the dog
                                Barbecue him; will save you time going to the shops when you need food when you have a ready sauce right there in your 'best friend'
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X