This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction to Tradewars 2002

Well, you've found the elusive Tradewars 2002 forum. Congratulations! You are on your way to becoming addicted to an old text & ANSI game that is a heck of a lot of fun to play.

It's pretty easy to start playing... you just pull out any old telnet client, or download a telnet client designed specifically for tradewars, like Swath or Attac. Then, you connect to the tradewars server with the IP address and Port # of the game you want. Free, easy, and multi-platform.

Visit the How to Start Playing Trade Wars 2002 thread for a step-by-step guide to connecting to the Apolyton tradewars game.

The telnet address for the Apolyton game is:
    telnet://waroftheworlds.ath.cx:2002

The web-based client for the Apolyton game is at:

The web site includes a java client and more information about the game details.

Also, don't forget to sign up in the pre-registration thread. It will let us know who you are, and is a pretty good way of preventing duping (multiple accounts) on apolyton games.

The idea behind the game is that earth has become basically uninhabitable and in the emerging new galactic order a few traders have worked their way into interstellar trading vessels and are prepared to shape history. You begin the game in a merchant cruiser, and you move from space sector to sector docking at ports, buying goods, and selling them to other ports that have a demand for those goods.

As you make money, you can upgrade your ship, start a colony, and in general, attempt to take over the galaxy. There really are a wealth of strategic options in this game, and it can become very complex and stratified over several months.

I thought I would post a few pictures here to give you a general idea of the feel of the game. Enjoy!

It sure is bleak looking though, when you connect for the first time.

Fortunately, things get more engaging quickly after you select a name as the TW 2002 menu appears! Woohoo! You made it!

As you will soon realize after heading to sector 1, Earth has been destroyed, and the colonists are just dying to get off that heap of rubble. Will you take them to a brave new world, or jettison them off into space?

I guess it's up to you...

Anyways, this game is all about moving around and making money in various ways. You then spend it on a variety of things, hoping to eventually use your money to conquer the universe.

Stardock is a place where you can buy many interesting things

And you may even run into the scourge of the galaxy!

Whome it is your duty to destroy.

If you're lucky, your planet will eventually become the stronghold of your galactic empire

Or if your not so lucky....

The Ferrengi may eat you.

I hope you enjoyed this little pictorial introduction to the game of Tradewars 2002. Visit the How to Start Playing Trade Wars 2002 thread for a step-by-step guide to connecting to the Apolyton tradewars game.

Good Trading to All!

-aeturneus
    Last edited by aeturneus; April 24, 2005, 19:42.
    "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Awesome .

Im definetal interested

(thinks this thread should be placed on top for all time)

Comment

The more the merrier, feel free to join just to see if you like it.
      Last edited by aeturneus; November 11, 2004, 02:22.
      "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Comment

dude. i want in... until civ3 comes out of course...
        And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

I checked it out and it was pretty fun...almost reminds me of my MUDding days

*sighs wistfully*

Dave
          "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Can somebody make a dumbies version of how to sign on to the game? I honestly have no idea and 30 minutes of fiddling around hasn't gotten me any closer to signing on. Can someone please spell it out for me step by step?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

From your discription that sounded like a game made in the late 80's called starflight 2. you have the same objective and you go around trading until you get a good enough ship to start trying to figure out the complex story line.
              Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

How do I join a game? It sounds rather fun...

Comment

I am new to this. how do I access "telnet" and what is it? I have spent 30 minutes looking for a link to tradewars and am about to give up and seek a easier website to play on. I am looking forward to the game, but instructions could be clearer.
                  Thanks
                  Rick

Comment

sorry, the firaxis server has not been online for a really long time now
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Does anybody know where I can play TradeWars?
                      The Encyclopedia Black Nova

Comment

I think several of us are trying to figure that out but for some reason people aren't responding.

Comment

Never mind aeturneus made a thread explaining it.

Comment

Working...
                          X