Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submarine advantages/disadvantages???

What does this flag mean?

If a naval unit has this flag, it behaves like a sub (somewhat hidden, can carry nukes).

If an air unit has this flag, it is somewhat hidden, can only attack naval units, and can be attacked by anything.

If a ground unit has this flag, it is somewhat hidden and cannot attack anything.

"Somewhat hidden" means that it will be invisible to units in adjacent squares unless a unit tries to move into the sub's square or that unit can see subs.
    "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
    -OOTS

Comment

Thanks. At first I thought it was a naval unit that was an easy target for subs, like an aircraft carrier or battleship.

Also, is there a way to make an air unit that carry ground units? I tried it but the units wouldn't load onto the plane.

Sorry, one more thing. I tried making a merchant ship, but the ship wouldn't attempt to establish a trade route even though it had the goods. Is there another file I can edit to make these work?

Thanks again.

Comment

You can make an airborne tanker by giving an air unit the carrier flag, but its movement goes down to one and the air units can't stay "on" the tanker for more than one turn. When the tanker moves they stay behind. The only way you can move ground units by air is to make a naval unit with a move of 0 that can paradrop. Give it some hold space and when you send it to another city it will take any units it holds with it.

Of course the computer will have no idea how to use either unit.

Hope this helps.
        -OOTS

Comment

A unit with a move of 0 cannot move. A unit with a move of 0 cannot paradrop either.

Comment

Have you checked out Harlan Thompson's WW2 in the Pacific scenario? As long as the zero-move unit is on a city you can paradrop it. Honest. Otherwise, ask Fast_Eddie. He knows how to do it.
            -OOTS

Comment

Looks like I stand corrected - most unusual!

I will try this tonight. However I am still puzzled - if a unit has a move of 0 you cannot select it, it doesn't flash so how do you get to press 'P'? I know that you can sentry/fortify 0 move units in the city view but you need to be on the map view to move the paradrop cursor?! I'm confused...

Comment

Ramsees000

To answer your question re trade ships, the Trade Role will only work if the unit is in the Ground Domain. To my knowledge there is NO way round this - although I wait to be corrected

Comment

I've been referenced....

Okay, to make a paradrop unit, simply make a sea transport, anbd give it the ability to paradrop. Either one or two movement points will do. So now, when you paradrop the transport, it will take all the units that it's carrying with it. Only works while going from one city to another.

====
                  MD -
                  I'm still working on that MUL, but I'm having trouble deciding which naval units I want to add.

Oh, and Mike, before you begin working on the maps, I wanna show you what I did with the first one you sent me. It's MGE, and the cities are placed as correctly as I could get them. Populations were just begun to be changed because I basically copied them from the abundance of WW2 scens out there. Do you want it?

------------------
                  Moderator at Civ Nation
                  Civ Nation Forums

Comment

Ok I tried this last night. Creating a naval transport with holds and the paradrop works - and not just between cities either. It will drop onto land. When you try to move the unit the "do you wish to disembark sire?" message appears and you can unload units - cool or what?! If you paradrop this onto a coastal square you can move it onto the sea.

However, Mr Daumen, if I create the unit with a move of 0, regardless if the unit is on the map, on an airbase or in a city I cannot paradrop the damn thing 'cos I cannot activate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Fast_Eddies post appears to confirm this as he only mentions units with a move of 1 or 2.

Somebody care to enlighten me?

Comment

I would listen to Eddie about the paradrop unit, since it was his idea & I was going off the top of my head. But the mine paradrop with 0 moves still works, doesn't it?

Eddie, send that map on!
                      -OOTS

Comment

Thanks everybody. Finally got back on my computer(I work a compressed night shift for 4 days)ready to try out the paradrop idea.

On another note, does anybody here ever mess with the other Civ2 files? What other parts of the game can one change(besides units and such)?

Later.

Comment

Dude, you can screw around with EVERYTHING!!!!! Icons, Cities, Labels, Game, etc. Every .txt can be screwed with in at least a few ways to change the game and make the atmosphere better. That's the fun in scenario making; seeing how much you can do with the existing game engine.

Well, at least to me!

Comment

Well, how do you paradrop with a move of 0?

Anybody?

Please?

Comment

Some of these ideas really sound awesome!

Back to topic:
                              A ground unit with a submarine flag cannot see ground units.

I use this flag for cyberninja-style Diplomats.

------------------
                              The best ideas are those that can be improved.
                              Ecce Homo
                              The best ideas are those that can be improved.
                              Ecce Homo

Comment

Working...
                              X