X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Velociryx
    Morning guys, and thank you all again!

I still can't quite get used to seeing the bound edge of the SMAX guide sitting on my bookshelf....that's pretty heady stuff!

And I appreciate more than I can express that so many people have taken an interest in purchasing the guide!

You guys rock!

-=Vel=-

PS: SITS - An excellent idea, but I don't actually have any copies--save for the galley proof--that I could sell.... Sorry 'bout that guy.
    Oh, well. I thought you could get a few more percentage points rather than the US mail service!
    'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

Congratulations, Vel!

Now I know what I want for Christmas. I just hope the book won't be sold out by then.

Comment

I ordered the guide today and the shipping was $5.80 for a total of $20.80. I dont know if this helps, the last time I checked the shipping was a lot higher so I waited to see if it was possibly an error. Vel, thanks for all the hard work and time spent putting this guide together.

SL3

Comment

Just ordered the paperback today - easier to look up while playing, and also possible to read about smax somewhere away from the computer.
          Thanks for all your work, Vel.
          "Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker."

Comment

Vel,

My paperback version just arrived, and as I was reading I was once again struck by the thoroughness and the friendly first person style. Once again, well done, and thanks for taking the time and effort to publish what I hope was a labor of love!

Hydro

Comment

I just gave my Guide to a friend and ordered another. I imagine they'd make great holiday gifts!

BTW - BookSurge's search engine sucks. I finally was able to order the book only by going to their author summary.

Hydro
              Last edited by Hydro; October 23, 2001, 13:22.

Comment

'morning guys! Just back from a vacation in sunny Florida, and wanted to stop back in here!

Thank you again for the kind words.....it's been a fantastic adventure putting the guide together, and the success it has seen has given me high hopes for the publication of my first adventure novel (eight more corrections and it'll be ready to roll out the door! WhoooHoooo!).

You guys are the best!

-=Vel=-

PS: Hydro...I have to agree with you good sir....That Booksurge engine is the pits! UGH.....young company tho....hopefully they'll learn quickly...
                The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Oh, how's the sale going. Vel? Sold many copies?
                  -bondetamp
                  The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
                  -H. L. Mencken

Comment

So far, good sir, the totals stand at:

23 bound versions and
                    35 e-books

-=Vel=-
                    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

So you actually got around to writing it out as a book? Wow.

I'm suprised to find you're still here nearly two years latter..... I thought I'd give SMACX another try for a while, probably a single city scenario because I don't have the time for more.....

Actually speaking of that the links to the single city campaign "rules" don't seem to work... I was wondering if you could remember what they had been.

Seems odd that all of those "records" from 1999 still stand.

-----------------------

Hey, you didn't include the list of which of techs are in which of the three "tech groups" for purposes "random" research did you? Single city strategy for Huge map seems to depend on getting to Industrial Automation as fast as possible.

(My old ID was "David Byron" btw)

Comment

Brother Vel, congrats congrats congrats. The gaming community at-large is now blessed with a massively raised standard for strategy guides. Way to go my friend!

Now, as a practical matter, ARE YOU BLOODY INSANE?!?

RL work is piling up, Civ III just came out and NOW you release your guide?! Are you trying to force me to never see my family, or the sun for that matter! Just kidding!

I have ordered the paperback copy and the moment it arrives (even before I read it!) I will be sending it along to you for your autograph, assuming your offer from a while back still stands. And don't worry, I will not include any anth*rx in the package...

-Kinjy

Comment

LOL....morning all, and Brother Kinjy! Good to see you still out and about on the board man!

Yep, the offer still stands! I'll shoot it back at you soon as it arrives here (again, and as you say without the Anthrax)

About the lateness of the guide's publication....::sigh:: I know, I know....it would have been much better to have released it back in the SMAX heyday....funny thing was though, that it really didn't even occur to me till folks here started talking up the idea. I'm learning fast tho....soon as I get my copy of civiii, I'll be playing....and writing....

David! Welcome back to the boards, bud! Yep....still kicking....still writing, and the old smax guide got one final facelift and expansion.....I'm very happy with the final look of her (and btw, I couldn't resist using the "all your base are belong to us" quote on the cover.....but I DID keep it small! LOL

Hmmm....not sure where the OCC stuff is, but if things remain slow, I will see if I can find 'em and bump them to the top!

-=Vel=-

Comment

I just received my copy of the Guide today. It's great to have it in paperback; there's something satisfying about holding the book in one's hand and reading the words on paper. My discovery of version 3.0 on Apolyton was what got me back into SMAC - I just had to try some of your strategies. Since then I have become addicted to PBEM; your guide is especially useful against those wily humans. Volume 4.0 looks great, and it will hold a special place on my computer desk's bookshelf.
                            Thanks for all of the hard work you put into the guide. Good luck with Civ3. I look forward to seeing your pointers on how to build and empire on this planet.
                            Regards, Zaphod
                            "Don't Panic!" - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

Get out of town!

Gees, I've been away for a few years. My return is due to purchasing the special edition of CivIII and haven't played it yet. I remembered this place as a great place for SMAC game theory. I thought i would read some posts and see what people say about CivIII since i uncharacteristically bought a game without first reading anything about it.

The first message i see when coming back is Vel gets published! I doubt anyone remembers my "2215 defensive" paper that came out the same time as Vels first strategy guide for SMAC, so i will spare the details as my time has past. I hope something i mentioned there made it into your book. Congratulations.

Comment

Just purchased Vel's strategy guide because of all the hype I have read. I am a total newbie (got SMAX last night) and have dying for more info on game (no manual)
                                Is guide really good???
                                PS- I like SMAX better than Civ3 so far

Comment

Working...
                                X