Hope for the AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope for the AI

Well, there's a lot of debate over whether the AI will be good in Civ3 or not. Here's something I found while looking for recent Firaxis posts:

Soren Johnson's Stanford Homepage

Looks like in college he worked on building a better AI using genetic algorithms (Advanced Protection). One that learns and matches the player's strategies based on their skill. Now I don't have time to go further then reading the webpage, but I'm sure a few people out there will try out his game for insights into Civ3.

All in all, my faith in an AI better then SMAC and being very challenging overall is growing every day. So to all you pessimists

So he is a bit of an AI buff eh? Well that is promising then...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Very promisong indeed. Great find Serapis!

Comment

Again, I'm not worried about the AI. I'm starting to dislike arguments about things that you people have no facts on. You are arguing about conjecture. It's good to have an opinion, but at some point somebody (ME) has to say, "just wait for the damn game to come out" Then you can argue all you want without hearing my objections.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

From Soren's page:

Check out my adaptive turn-based strategy game (entitled Advanced Protection) which dynamically switches between genetically-evolved strategies to match the user's playing style.

This sounds too good to be true...
          Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

I worked as a programmer on EA Sport's Knockout Kings 2000 for Sony Playstation.... Most notably, when the computer kicks you in the groin, that is my code

will we see something like this in civ3?
            Last edited by MarkG; September 28, 2001, 16:05.
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              I worked as a programmer on EA Sport's Knockout Kings 2000 for Sony Playstation.... Most notably, when the computer kicks you in the groin, that is my code[/q]
              will we see something like this in civ3?
              LOL
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Go Soren Go
                Last edited by Sabre2th; September 28, 2001, 16:06.

Comment

Thus, my project involves constructing a game which allows such an adaptive AI to be developed. The game, "Advanced Protection," was carefully designed to allow for such an adaptive AI system to be created. In other words, the game has only a few decision points for the user, so that the system has a limited amount of data on which to train. This fact is important because the AI needs to switch quickly between strategies- few users will enjoy a game which takes hours, minutes, or even many seconds to train between turns.
                  I think that Civ3 may have too many options

Cool idea though!!! Civ4 implementation
                  I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                  New faces...Strange places,
                  Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                  -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

i played the game.. first of all, i couldn't figure it out, and second of all, it froze my 256ram COMp!!

a good sign? i think not...
                    And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Re: Hope for the AI

Originally posted by SerapisIV
                      Nice work, mr. Bond.

Comment

Re: Hope for the AI

Originally posted by SerapisIV
                        Well, there's a lot of debate over whether the AI will be good in Civ3 or not. Here's something I found while looking for recent Firaxis posts:

Looks like in college he worked on building a better AI using genetic algorithms (Advanced Protection). One that learns and matches the player's strategies based on their skill. Now I don't have time to go further then reading the webpage, but I'm sure a few people out there will try out his game for insights into Civ3.

All in all, my faith in an AI better then SMAC and being very challenging overall is growing every day. So to all you pessimists
                        Yes! The AI is the lifeblood of Single Player CIV. Without it, SP is just SimCity.

Comment

Here I come home from my holyday, and what do I see?

YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!!!

Looks promising!
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Is this programmer working on civ 3 ?
                            Rome rules

Comment

Soren is the Firaxis guy who they feature in the video as getting lost in the game instead of checking for "memory leaks" as he was supposed to. It's nice to know that the "one-more-turn" syndrome is able to infect the programmers as well.

Here's a new quote from Firaxis.com's "Team" page:

Soren's primary mission is writing the AI for Civilization III
                              Further good news. Hopefully he's able to stand good on Sid's promise of "best AI in the genre" in Civ3.

Comment

Working...
                              X