Naming Units, Upgrading Units, and Battle Honours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming Units, Upgrading Units, and Battle Honours

At the risk of being micro-management, I'm just summarizing some military unit behaviours that would making things interesting and so much more "historical".

1. Ability to name units. Both the "Army" they belong to, and the unit's name. (E.g. naming an alpine unit the "3rd Ranger Battaltion", belonging to the "SOCOM" army. Or say, the "CVN Theodore Roosevelt" aircraft carrier, of the "TR Carrier Group")

2. Following on from 1 should then be the ability to upgrade units instead of disbanding them for the sake of production shields. This would allow continuity of military units, and allow option 3...

3. Battle Honours. When a military unit has earned a certain amount of experience (maybe less than the veteran/elite ranking improvement) then they earn a battle honour. The battle honour would say, have the name of the nearest city ("Battle of Mukden") or if there's a "land feature tag" someone mentioned earlier (being able to name an area "The Great Desert"). The player could even add extra notes "Successfully defended Mukden against 3 Egyptian chariots")

Or indeed, batle honours could replace the "unit experience rank" altogether. (e.g. 3 battle honours = regular, 6 = veteran, 9 = elite)

The in the video Sid says he wants us to be able to tell our own story. Well, The military of the world has always sought to build "espirit de corps"..... and battle honours would reflect how tradition and experience affect a unit's performance in battle - the British Coldstream Guards vs the French Imperial Guards at Waterloo, the US Marines at Chosin Reservoir.....

it would certainly make a save game much more interesting to read.

Of course, you could just ignore it all together and never look or touch this stuff. But for scenario builders it would be a godsend as they can represent historical units at a certain point in time....

I dont think it would be that hard to add. It would be real nice if they did.
    The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

Great idea, can someone let email this to Firaxis so they can consider this.
      ==========================
      www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

I'd like to be able to add numbers to my units or maybe an indicator to show what level of "training" he's at. Maybe rename a hoplite Elite Guard for the sole purpose of guarding Christantinople, my capital.
        "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
        "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
        "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

Good idea!!!!

I've been thinking this for some time now. I always thought it would be cool to have units we could name, for me it would be mostly Battleships! AND, I think the land tag option should be in too! Whoever said someone should send this to firaxis, I second the motion!

Comment

A definite YES to all this stuff except the unit advancement- just add the story-telling part so we can enrich our experience, but leace the game bal;encing alone...

This would be a great addition to the game's flavor!!!!

Comment

I would LOVE to be able to name my units. It gives you a sense of attachment to them. In Games where this was possible (Empire, for instance, one of the inspirations for Civ), I used to include the year of creation in the name. Then you had a sense of how old and accomplished the unit was.

If a unit is victorious at a key battle, you could re-name it to reflect that (eg Heroes of Austerlitz).

Anyway, hope someone is listening. Maybe we'll see it in Civ IV.

And after writing "Civ IV" above, I realized that CIV is the Roman number for 104. Maybe someday we will see Civ CIV.
              Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

Great idea!

Doubt that they've got time to put it in tho!

Comment

Great idea! But it's too late. Civ 3 is in the final stages if not already completed. Anything else that gets released will be in the form of patches to fix gameplay bugs.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I have seen some confusion on this point, so I just wanted to clarify that units CAN be upgraded in Civ3. Leonardo's Worksop is still a Wonder, but it now halves the costs of upgrades.
                    - What's that?
                    - It's a cannon fuse.
                    - What's it for?
                    - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Soren speaks!

Comment

if i'm reading this write all civs have the ability to upgrade!

Comment

Soren, do you mean upgraded to a more modern equivalent unit, or upgraded to more powerful version of same unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
                            I have seen some confusion on this point, so I just wanted to clarify that units CAN be upgraded in Civ3. Leonardo's Worksop is still a Wonder, but it now halves the costs of upgrades.
                            1: So ALL civs (regardless if they have LW, or not) can upgrade their units (halfprice with LW)? Yes, I suppose
                            2: Is LW a great wonder or a small wonder?
                            3: Only units in cities can be upgraded? (one should be forced to bring them in)
                            4: What happens with combat elite/veteran-status?
                            Last edited by Ralf; September 28, 2001, 13:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf

1: So ALL civs (regardless if they have LW, or not) can upgrade their units (halfprice with LW)? Yes, I suppose
                              2: Is LW a great wonder or a small wonder?
                              3: Only units in cities can be upgraded? (one should be forced to bring them in)
                              4: What happens with combat elite/veteran-status?
                              1: Y
                              2: Great Wonder
                              3: Y
                              4: Elite status is lost
                              - What's that?
                              - It's a cannon fuse.
                              - What's it for?
                              - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Working...
                              X