City Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Walls

Shouldn't Walls go obsolete around the discovery of gunpower? I mean, I don't think a city has had a wall build around it since ~1500. And without walls, the modern game will be alot harder beacuse you will have to keep battle away from your cities so they don't get wrecked.

I agree, it seems a little strange that you still can build citywalls in the 20th century
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I think it would probably be the other way around- you can build walls, but certain units will be able to go around them or even potentially destroy them (?)
      ----
      "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Alpha Centauri had the Blink Displacer ability, which allowed units equipped with it to bypass any base defenses.

So, it is possible that some modern-age units can bypass city walls... but I've got no idea which ones. Any suggestions?
        Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

How about all of them?
          But then you have to change the entire combat system and i dont think thats anything i want. Perhaps for civ4.
          If you place a thing into the center of your life, that lacks the power to nourish. It will eventually poison everything that you are.
          And destroy you. -Maxi Jazz, Faithless

Comment

Walls would still help (to an extent)

Walls can keep modern-day infantry from marching straight in...obviously artillery could shell over. The Blink Displacer was a stroke of genius, in my opinion (just a little expensive)

Comment

After gunpowder the wall don't dissapear, just became thicker and became known as fortification. The ones from Sevastopol had given germans a hard time in 1942.
              "Respect the gods, but have as little to do with them as possible." - Confucius
              "Give nothing to gods and expect nothing from them." - my motto

Comment

In Civ2, the Howitzer ignored city walls, and the rules could be easily implented as simple as changing a 0 to 1. (Actually, that was what you had to do. )

I'm sure that there will be some rule like that - I mean, they have Air transporting, something not possible in Civ2.
                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

It's a nice look to have the walls still be there, but I agree they don't serve a whole lot of purpose in the modern age. Maybe they could only provide 1/4 protection or something after a certain year.

Comment

If you think of improvements as concepts it makes more sense.

If city walls became obsolete than other improvements should become obsolete too.

Comment

I think city walls should be ignored by modern age military units (such as jet fighters, tanks and whatever), but still exist in the modern age so it provides protection against infantry and "ancient" units... we must assume that the upkeep also goes into progressively upgrading the city's defenses...... (keep pesky phalanx out, perhaps)

And if a city is attacked, there should always be the chance that population goes down (a stray shell detonates a stockpile) and a city improvement being destroyed ( there goes the aqueduct). This should encourage players to build fortifications on their boundaries and station troops in there... just like real life

I mean, after all, only in dire cases do you want to fight in cities. Urban warfare is expensive in both casualties and economic damage. They basically reduced Stalingrad to rubble.... of course, if you choose to fortify your units in the city, sure..... but you have to deal with the collateral damage....

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                        I agree, it seems a little strange that you still can build citywalls in the 20th century
                        As far as I remember, in WWI Belgium defense against Germans was based on fortified cities (Antwerp and some more). So, it's not silly to have the city walls in 20th century, but yes, it's maybe silly to build it at that era.
                        Zaki

Comment

Originally posted by Nenad

As far as I remember, in WWI Belgium defense against Germans was based on fortified cities (Antwerp and some more). So, it's not silly to have the city walls in 20th century, but yes, it's maybe silly to build it at that era.
                          it will still work at some point, but how many cities have actually built a city wall in the last 50 years?
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG

it will still work at some point, but how many cities have actually built a city wall in the last 50 years?
                            Simple solution: Rename "city walls" to "city fortifications."
                            If Firaxis doesn't do it, then just do it in your own mind.

Comment

City Walls are vital to the pre gunpowder warfare, but it's not the warfare that's made walls obselete, it's the cities.

Up until the agricultural revolution most city dwelling people lived inside the walls of the city, after it and the population expanded outside the walls. Perhaps a wall is good only for certain city size, once you get larger than a size 8 city (for example), the old wall becomes obselete and you have to build another one, which is much more expensive to maintain.

The way I'd like to see modern defense dealt with is something like the "Active Defender" thing in CTP.

Pingu:

Comment

Working...
                              X