Modern era special units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern era special units

I was woundering: are modern era's special units stop getting their bonuses and being possible to produced sometime sicne there is no era after modern?

Don't say that the Panzer or F16 aren't obsolete forever... the Rafale is alot better than the F16 now. F16 got their time. Will it be so that they will stop having their bonuses when all technologies will have been discovered? Then, what stops someone from not discovering the last technology and keeping his special unit?
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

What I would like to know what are the ultimate units in the game of each branche? Will that for example be the stealth bomber for bombers? The M1 for tanks and ground warfare?µ
    So little is known up to now about the modern age of the game...
    Live long and prosper !

Comment

The F-16 is the better fighter. For 2 reasons

1) It is armed with the best AAM's. Can hit enemy warplanes from 50 miles away. Before most MiGs and Mirages can even see it on radar.

2) It is extremely cheap to build compared to the Rafale.

Comment

I don't want to offend your knowledge of aircraft m8, but "beyond visual range missiles" are developed for all new fighters and with ever better characteristics.
        I agree the F-16 is a good and cheap multi-role fighter but if cost is not an issue it can't compete against 4th generation fighters.
        Live long and prosper !

Comment

Re: Modern era special units

Originally posted by Trifna
          I was woundering: are modern era's special units stop getting their bonuses and being possible to produced sometime sicne there is no era after modern?

Don't say that the Panzer or F16 aren't obsolete forever... the Rafale is alot better than the F16 now. F16 got their time. Will it be so that they will stop having their bonuses when all technologies will have been discovered? Then, what stops someone from not discovering the last technology and keeping his special unit?
          My hunch (and hope) is that every civilization's special units will, by the end of the game, have been made obsolete. It would be unbalanced to have otherwise. I think it would be more in line with what will really happen--that eventually all nations will be dragged up by the scruff of their necks into the modern era with modern technology.

Then again, I could be quite wrong. One aspect of balance may be allowing civs with the late special units to have that balance against the ones who got theirs right away. After all, it would kinda suck to get the F 15 and have it become obsolete 10 years later. But I bet the Firaxis people are working it so that all specila units, no matter what era, are useful for about the same number of turns for each civ.

Cheers.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Certain units that should never go obselete

Conscript- Basic defense force
            Modern Tank
            Modern Jet
            Modern Bomber
            Marine
            Mech Inf
            All steel Ships (cept Ironclad, is there on?)
            Howitzer

Did I miss anything

Comment

Wouldn't the stealth fighter replace the F-16 in the game?

Comment

Isn't it the F-15 anyway?

Which is quite a difference from the F-16.

Gary

Comment

Faded glory,

Wouldn't it then be a "steelclad"?

Gary

Comment

It would be such a major letdown if one civilization got to have thier special unit forever, that would totaly unbalance the game,
                    since most people starts conquering the world when all the techs have been researched (if they dont care about score (i dont )).

If you get to have the f-15 (yep its a f-15) foreverer as americans that nation would be the only one you ever need to play and thats plain boring (imagine everyone wanting to be americans in multiplayer...)

But i think the people at firaxis are so smart that they realize this and that they will make some other unit replace the f-15 (stealth fighter perhaps?)

I also hope that they will make fighters less efficcient at attacking ground units. In civ 2 a veteran stealth fighter on a suicide mission could kill 4-5 armors easily.
                    I loved to pillage the railway for 2 squares and then watch the enemy pile up all his forces and then take out em all with my fighters =)
                    If you place a thing into the center of your life, that lacks the power to nourish. It will eventually poison everything that you are.
                    And destroy you. -Maxi Jazz, Faithless

Comment

i dont know where i got this idea from, but wasnt it an f-22???

Comment

we all know its going to be an Auroa Spy Plane
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

aight let me break it down for yall....

You don't work for Lockheed-Martin.

You aren't a pilot.

You aren't an expert in Modern Aerial Combat.

Modern Aerial Combat rarely is about dog-fighting. Because a jet has a faster thrust to weight ratio, doesn't make it the better fighter. And economics DO play an important part in how good a fighter is. Ask any member of the Air Force, and they will tell you the F-14 Tomcat is the king of the skies.

In conjuction with the AWAC, its range for attacking air targets exceeds 250 miles. And all fighters cannot be equipped with the targeting systems and weapons systems that the F-14 has.

I strongly dislike the fact that there aren't civ specific units for every type of unit. If the Romans had lasted and gotten to the Jet Age, you can be sure their Jets would be vastly different from the English jet fighters. But my idea of civ specific units for all types is obviously too high-level-thinking involed for Firaxis. I just have to make my own.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Dogfighting is obsolete. Its good to know and have, but so is a sidearm pistol.

41 Iraqi MiG's and Mirage F-1's were shot down in desert storm. All the Iraqi pilots were shot down before they even saw the F-16's and F-14's they were up against. From 100 miles out usaully...

The same story in Serbia...and Libya.

Dogfighting is somthing of the past. But its good to have anyway. Russian MiGs make that mistake. They base there whole system around the premise that it will get into a dogfight. This is almost never the case

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
                              The F-16 is the better fighter. For 2 reasons

1) It is armed with the best AAM's. Can hit enemy warplanes from 50 miles away. Before most MiGs and Mirages can even see it on radar.
                              How can you say that the F-16 has the best AAM's? Where do you get your info from? Perhaps you meant 'better AAM's', in which case you still might be wrong but I don't know.

What I do know is that SoulAssassin is correct about the F-14. I believe the missiles that allow for such a huge range of attack are called Phoenix missiles, which cost half a million dollars each.
                              Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X