Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advantages/disadvantages of early/late golden age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advantages/disadvantages of early/late golden age?

Will the golden age last for 25years or 25 turns?

This was a question I asked myself when I was thinking about the advantages of choosing a civ with early special units to get an early golden age or a late one. Yep I'm allready choosing my civ for my first game , I can't wait , I feel

This is crucial since if it lasts less turns if you get it early it might become better to save it by choosing a civ with a more modern special unit.

I guess it will not be 25years since that would only make it last a few turns early in the game if years pass by as in earlier civ games. But the crucial thing is will it last as many turns at 2000BC as it does at 2000AD?

I consider it will last the same amount of turns:

The advantage to have it as soon as possible for me seems to be that your get a jump start on any nearby civ that could threaten you and thereby "influence" that civ ( in whatever way ) so you can settle the territory you want early on in the game by using the extra production and special units.

Later in the game I guess you will be better prepared to use the golden age to its full advantage since you can prepare yourself.

Does anyone know more about this or have a favourite civ yet?
    yes , early to destroy my neighbouring civ and get more space to settle!
    42.11%
    No late, I'll be better prepared to make full use of it.
    26.32%
    I don't care , I just want a cool special unit.
    31.58%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Tjoepie; September 20, 2001, 06:25.
    Live long and prosper !

I think I am the only person who feels this way, but I don't look at golden ages as a part of the strategy, I consider it to be an event that happens when it happens, I couldn't care less when.

Then again, I always play games in a roleplaying style, maybe that's why.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Maybe you'r right ...

BTW how do you post a picture next to your name? In the control panel ?
      Live long and prosper !

Comment

Maybe you'r right ...
        Live long and prosper !

Comment

Somewhere in the profile editing page, you can't use a custom picture untill you have 500 posts though.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Thanks m8 !
            Live long and prosper !

Comment

Actually, YOU can. Because you have been registered here more than six months. It's under Control Panel -> User's Profile -> (Avatars) Change... Good luck.
              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Great , thanks alot!
                Live long and prosper !

Comment

*hehe*

I got an Avatar now, too!

BTW, I voted for "I don't care" (no. 3?)
                  My Website: www.geocities.com/civcivciv2002/index.html
                  My Forums: http://pub92.ezboard.com/bacivcommunity

Comment

It's the same for me...! I don't care so much about that. I will play all the civs no matter what!
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I'd do golden age quite early on, but not too early - when i've got a republic though only if my cities aren't always going to revolt. I'd make sure i was at war with 2 or 3 strongest civs (to a point) before going golden , to make war and use the production advantage when capturing new cities to rebuild their defences.

The golden age trade/science bonus is important and would work better early on i think, as the tech's take much less time to research so you'd get say 6 techs maybe with your GA, unlike a modern era where you might just get 3 techs as they need an awful lot more science.

Comment

pressed send by mistake DOH

Also before going GA i'd like to have a couple of factories built so you double the amount of production taken in those cities from the bonus!
                        So long as my new production isn't going into waste (need lawcourts and republic for that)

I doubt i'd wait till I was industrial though, i'd want banks and universities to make the best use of the trade bonus.

Another Question/Thought: what would u do if the other player/computer nation went to a golden age?
                        I would quickly declare war and get others to declare against them, and try and lay siege to their production squares to stop them getting some of the bonuses perhaps.
                        Perhaps you can force an enemy to go GA by setting up one of their special units to attack yours (though hopefully the rules forbid this, letting you choose when an attack triggers a GA)
                        I'd sabotage their production of big units(worth risking spy resources), and likewise destroy their factories, banks and universities. An easy tactic could be to make their cities revolt(stop production etc) by destroying happiness buildings/ capture their michelangelos chapel wonders etc.
                        A tactic if your being beaten senseless by a GA civ is to go GA yourself (keep a special unit back to do this)

PJ

Comment

I don't care , I just want a cool special unit.

Comment

Each has its advantages...
                            Rome rules

Comment

Id treat it as a 'bonus' and not a game-winning strategy. IMHO i think resources will play a much larger part in your strategy than increased trade/production.

However, i voted for 'early GA', as that fits in well with my strategy
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X