Terraforming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terraforming.

Does it matter what order you build the improvements on a square? Does building a mine when you have farms get rid off some of the nutrients? I know it does in the sea but can't work it out on land espiacally when there is jungle there. DO you get less minerals from a mine when there is a farm/.soil enricher. SOmetimes the soil enrichers don't seem to add extra nutrients on certain squares or is this an order in which they are built.

Also I never raise or lower land should i be doing?

What are all the abbreviations like SE etc mean.

Thanks
    George

Building a mine reduces the nutrients in that square by one, but will not reduce it all the way to zero. I'm not sure if it also works the other way around (if a farm reduces the minerals). There's a decent table in the back of the manual. The order of the improvements does not matter.

SE means social engineering. There are several threads out there listing abbreviations. Try searching for "abbreviation".
    "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

A related question: is there an optimum (in terms of time required) sequence for development of a given square? In other words, does it take longer to build a road in a square that has a forest than in an undeveloped square?

Regarding raising and lowering, it depends on your style and what you want to accomplish. I tend to play on water planets, but I like to raise land to create isthmuses. This can have unfortunate effects on your past terraforming, as it may change the climate unfavorably.

However, such a climate change may be a good tactic to use against an enemy: raise land to create droughty conditions on an enemy's territory east of the raised area.

Also, some players like to move a protected sea former next to enemies and lower the coastlines, drowning their cities.

Comment

Purple -- I can't say this is an optimal strategy or not, but I think most people like to have a former, or two, out "ahead" of the rest whose purpose is to build roads to the next base location. That way the other formers can quickly catch up to the group that is ahead by using the roads and the new colony pods can race to the next base location. This can also function as a way to quickly move defensive/offensive units through your empire.

It only takes a former one turn to build a road on a "flat" square. If you have it worked out right and enough flat squares to your destination, you can "leap frog" your formers to quickly build the road. This would be even more effective if you used rover formers as this would allow you to build two tiles of road per turn with two formers.

I think most people tend to raise land in order to put Echelon Mirrors and Solar Collectors on the raised mountains. As the height passes 1000 meters, 2000 meters, and 3000 meters you gain a +1 to your solar collectors energy intake. So, at three thousand meters you should be collecting +4 energy per solar collector. Throw in a few echelon mirrors and you'll be rolling in the dough. For more info on this do a search for "energy park" and you should come up with some helpful posts.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I see raise/lower at the same level as drill-to-aquifer. They are vastly good things to do, but are at the end of the list of necessities. White Elephants shows the importance of 'Road First' terraforming. This is the only case I know where the order of terraforming is important. The key is to get some formers out ahead to prep an area.

Things to Prep:
          Build a road network to every square you are going to terraform (unless you are going all trees)
          Put a sensor on a future base site
          change rocky to rolling, then road. Now any forming can be done
          seed forest around your empire, or kelp around your sea as these things grow

etc..

raising the land is a great technique in the mid-game to expand your empire, blot out annoying ponds, control the flow of future rivers, make landbridges, and generally give each and every city the maximum land squares in its base radius.

-Smack
          Visit Aldebaran:Aldebaranweb

Comment

Regarding the resources on a certain square a had a flat low piece of land with an energy resource. I put a farm then a soil enricher then a solar collector. It only then had 1 nutrient and 3 energy this doesn't seem right to me.
            Does this raising land and the east of the new raised land gets a drought work. I have heard it mentioned a few times but some people seem sceptical.

Comment

g_storrow, it is possible to have only 1 nut and 3 energy from a tile with farm-solar and energy bonus, but this should mean the tile is arid and nearly at sea level.
              You ave to be careful where you build a certain terraform.
              As said in the terraforming tour (i suggest you have a look at it if not already done) the more green a square is, the more rainy, a square completely green is rainy and will give you 2 nut, a squre with green dots is humid and will give you 1 nut, a brown square is arid and provide no nut. The farm add 1 to the nut output of a square, thus if you put a farm on an arid square, you'll get only 1 nut from the square.
              Energy is provided by altitude (as said previously), and if your tile is too low, u'll get no energy at all (even with a collector), but then, the energy bonus could provide you with a +3 energy (or is it +2??), usually, the game will tell u when a solar collector will produce no energy, but perhaps an energy bonus will confuse it.
              You really need to be carefull when terraforming, as "normal" terraforming (mines, farms and solars) are not right for every tile. Esp., on arid, flat and low elevation tiles, the only terraformings worthy to do are forests and boreholes. You should always build farms only on rainy tiles (unless u plan to put a condeser nearby), solar on high elevation tiles (or on the tiles where u have farms, as they will not reduce your nut production), mines on rocky squares (with a road to give u max mineral) and forests everywhere else. Also, when u get the tech for max mineral an energy, build a few boreholes and replace your mines with forests (u should have tree farms and hybrid forests by this time, u will have to level rocky tiles).
              Hope this help, it is the way i terraform, and i think it works pretty well.

Comment

But I thought having put a farm and a soil enricher on they both counts as one so that wil make it two. Are a farm and a soil enricher any different? I thought they were combined but are they not?

Comment

I don't fully understand what u ask.
                  Farms and soil enrichers are different terraformings, u will not plant both at a time even if u have the technology for enrichers (or the WP). U must first build a farm, and then build an enricher (i think they have both the same shortuct, but this does not mean u build them simultaneously) u can only build an enricher on a tile where u already have a farm. So if u didn't build them both, u only have a farm.
                  I'm not completely sure, perhaps u can build enrichers even if u don't have a farm, but in wich case, u only have an enricher that gives u +1 nut, u never build both with a single command.
                  Hope i have answered your question.

Comment

It's not quite what's been asked, but I'll point out something interesting here: the order of terraforms matters a great deal if you harvest from fungus squares.

If you have a square with a solar collector- and you plant fungus there, the solar collector will be destroyed and replaced with fungus.

However, if you have a farm and solar collector on the square, the farm will be destroyed- leaving you with a solar collector on the fungus.

Likewise, you can build a solar collector on fungus.

So if you want fungus (late game only, or gaians, with their +1 nut) it's worth it to throw down a farm before putting the fungus down, to preserve any other terraforming.

If anyone has done any research into this, I'd like to hear the results.

--Mr. Strange

Comment

Originally posted by g_storrow
                      Are a farm and a soil enricher any different? I thought they were combined but are they not?
                      Think of it this way: First you build a farm, which gives you +1 nutrient on that square. After the farm is built, you add a soil enricher. You then get +2 nutrients on that square.
                      "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Morane
                        You should always build farms only on rainy tiles ..., solar on high elevation tiles ..., mines on rocky squares ... and forests everywhere else.
                        You can't make sweeping generalizations like this. Rainy tiles are quite rare, and on an arid world almost nonexistent. Likewise, you may have a low-elevation continent to deal with. Does that mean you should not build farms or solar collectors? No. You have to work with what you are given and make compromises. One combination that many people like is to place a farm and a solar collector on a moist (medium rainfall), rolling (medium rockiness) tile. This will give you 2 nutrients, 1 mineral, and 1-4 energy depending on the elevation. (And yes, you do get energy from a low elevation square with a solar collector.)

Darius

Comment

Rep to Mr. Strange:

Yes, I've seen otherwise incompatible tile improvements occupying the same square. For instance, constructing a condenser on a forest square will destroy the forest, and planting forest in a square will destroy a condenser. However, I've seen forest naturally expand into a square which contains a condenser (condenser only - not condenser & farm), and leave the condenser intact.
                          "Minding Your Business Since 1991"

Comment

My reply to the 1 nut, three energy question is also that the square must have become arid. To double check, opposite click your mouse on the square in question for more details.

Mr. Strange has made some interesting comments on terraforming order. Nevertheless, once you have the tech you can make improvements directly to fungus tiles. Also, in general, the order of improving a square will rarely have an impact in the final result. Build what you need the most, first.

WRT the 'roads everywhere' idea, many players do not follow this strategy. Defensive considerations are important, especially near the coast and your borders. In SP, I like single connecting roads between cities, if only because it makes everything look prettier. You really only need roads for your mines on rocky squares.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius

Think of it this way: First you build a farm, which gives you +1 nutrient on that square. After the farm is built, you add a soil enricher. You then get +2 nutrients on that square.
                              You get no additional benefit from a soil enricher on an arid square. Arid+farm+soil enricher just yealds one nutrient
                              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                              X