What's up with the city walls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with the city walls?

What's up with the city-walls? They appear to be worn down and decaying. Do obsolete city-improvements remain on the city-screen? Do city-improvements age? Do city-walls become obsolete with certain tech advances like barracks did in Civ2?

We know that wonder movies have been replaced with construction animations. I think that is what we are seeing: the city wall that is in the process of being constructed.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

That's a very cool idea, though I would think you'd see scaffolds around the portions that are being built up. Also, in one screen-shot it appears that the martketplace is built in areas where the wall has fallen.

Comment

Are you reading too much in the city view screen (or whatever it's called)? Like Civ2, it has absolutely no bearing on gameplay, it's just art and a waste of time/resources, imo.

Comment

WOW!!!

So we will be seeing in the cityview the building being constructed???
          I love this game!
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Clark
            Are you reading too much into the city view screen?
            What do you think Apolyton's for?

I still don't think they're being constructed, particularly because there are buildings scattered throughout holes in the wall.

Well, by reading in to a screen that has no game impact, but does reflect on game mechanics, I'm guessing that city-walls can become obsolete, with time or technology. That's a big change in gameplay as no longer would units like the howitzer be so unbalanced (though I'm sure they fixed the Civ3 howitzers)

Comment

Yeah, and after a couple of times (like the wonder movies and other needless art), you'll just ignore it and concentrate on playing the game.

It has been amazing to see all of the noise about stuff that folks will find irrelevant once the game is released.

Comment

Well, being that I'm not playing the game now, I won't be playing for a few months, and instead only looking at screenshots, it's not something I can ignore, instead it's something that I can use to figure out what the game will actually play like.

Tell me this, is having your walls fall apart (ie become obsolete) is not a big change in Civ gameplay?

Comment

i would like to know if the city screen is going to automatically be shown as building things (al la civ I) or is it going to be a useless stupid button that i manually have to click like in civ 2? (oviously i hope it is the first of the two, or else i see no point in incorporting it)

Comment

Civ1/Civnet definently had the best city view screen.

Comment

Reply to initial post

I think the city walls are really kaput, not under construction
                      Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Comment

if city walls to become obselete over time, thats great - because can anybody tell me a modern day city which actually has defensive walls around it?

BTW, when was it mentioned that wonder movies have been replaced by construction animation??
                        If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV
                          Tell me this, is having your walls fall apart (ie become obsolete) is not a big change in Civ gameplay?
                          No, none whatsoever. You would know what would cause walls to become obsolete (if they do). Hypothetically, let's say it's the discovery of Flight. I certainly don't need some needless graphics to show me that the walls are now obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Clark
                            Yeah, and after a couple of times (like the wonder movies and other needless art), you'll just ignore it and concentrate on playing the game.

It has been amazing to see all of the noise about stuff that folks will find irrelevant once the game is released.
                            It's true that most people watch them once or twice and then never look at it but if Firaxis didn't include these bits of eye candy they would be skinned alive. The game reviewers and many Civers would trash them for only doing a half-assed job. Firaxis is caught here because they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
                            I personally watch the videos and animations once or twice and then turn them off but I do appreciate having them.
                            "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
                            "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

Working...
                            X