"Limited Edition" & "Civer's Edition": Remember WAY back? Very positive com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Limited Edition" & "Civer's Edition": Remember WAY back? Very positive com

Now, I said I wouldn't post anything negative unless it was warranted by new information. Well, how about something POSITIVE? From Yin? Absolutely. This made me VERY happy today. From a thread I started WAY back, notice the date: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum6/HTML/001203.html

"Civer's Edition": How much would you pay?

posted March 09, 2000 03:29

When Ultima9 came out, I jumped at the chance to buy the Dragon Edition. It included a cool (old-school) cloth map, game music on a separate audio CD, "simulated leather" spellbook and manual, 8 tarrot cards, an ankh, Ultimas 1-8 on a separate disk, a letter of thanks from RG, and a HUGE box! I gladly paid $70+ for it.
    [Note: The game itself was buggy, the box so damn big that stuff rolled around inside and got messy and bent, the ankh was REALLY cheap, the tarrot cards cartoony, the best of previous Ultimas unplayable under Windows, and they released an "enhanced making of U9 cd" a few weeks later instead of in the box--which pretty much ruined the experience.]

BUT...

I think a "Civer Edition" Civ3 would simply be awesome.

How much would I pay?: approximately $70-80

What would I want to see inside it?:
    1. A game CD with a cool map of the world on it.
    2. Civ1 and 2 on a special "Civ Collector's" CD, with the original manuals in .pdf format (only if some deal could be struck with Microprose, of course).
    3. A cloth map of the world (or a great fold-out with cool historical facts and a timeline on the back).
    4. A "Making of Civ3" CD which includes the music tracks and sound effects.
    5. A paperback History of the World by some well-known historian.
    6. I wonder how much it would cost to put in a Britannica "History of the World" or "History of War" CD in the box?
    7. A pewter figurine (each box is different!). You would get one of the follwing: A globe; a phalanx; a bomber; a nuclear missile; or a settler. 1000 lucky fans would get ALL of them! Of course, each one would have "CivIII" stamped on it somewhere.
    8. A letter from Sid, Jeff and Firaxis. You know, one of those simulated signature ones telling us how cool it's been working on the game and how great the Civ fans are. =)

How about you? What would you pay? What would you want in that box?

July 31, 2000: Firaxis tells us more about the "Limited Edition":

We're still working out the final details, but it'll come in a very nice tin with the game, manual, a "Making of Civ III" CD and some other cool stuff.

COOL! I must say, this is an outstanding decision, Firaxis! Amazing! I had originally thought the LE would only have a strat guide, but what you're talking about now sounded oddly familiar. Something like this just might be the secret to getting crusty old pessimists like me to kick in the extra money to cap off the trilogy. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will. Damn, caught in my own trap.
    Last edited by yin26; July 31, 2001, 13:23.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Just in case you missed it, did anybody catch #4 on my list?
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Are you proud of yourself yin? This almost makes up for your part in SidGolf.

Comment

and it should include a sidgolf demo as well
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Just in case you missed it, did anybody catch #4 on my list?
          They're watching you, yin

Next thing ya know you'll have a spot in the credits. Do you honestly think they feed on your suggestions? This should be a news item

Comment

Of course, it's quite easy to believe they had this thought long before this thread appeared, but if we even helped a little to convince them that the idea is a good one, then Apolyton SHOULD be proud. I really hope they learn the lesson from U9, though. I think they must have.

Like I said, I have to buy the game now if only for nostalgic reasons.

Comment

Ah well, what can I say, other than Sid's lurking about in the forums
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yeah, a "Making Of" CD should definitely not be given to the untrained masses... they might find out all the ugly details that Firaxis wants kept quiet among the uninformed.

"Then Brian Reynolds, also known as the Chariot-slayer, foully betrayed our coalition. I immediately challenged him to a duel (click here to see video!), but after but one knick, he foolishly ran off before we could cleave him in twain- but not before the vile sabotage was done, and progress on Civ3 was set back by generations. We needed a mighty effort to complete our task- we needed to find the Holy Gravship which contained the Almighty Code of Healing, last rumoured to be seen on the Meier continent. Sadly enough The Holy Gravship's Code of Healing turned out to be a Code of Laws, reused from CivI. But what the heck, we installed it in our computers anyway. The results were amazing! But since we had no Network Node at our Hunt Valley base, we could not extract all the secrets possible. So a conservative sequel it was. But the Code did have one important prophecy... Once we get the proper funding from Civ3, we shall fully decipher the contents of our finds, and the traitor Reynolds shall be brought to Divine Justice, and Civ 4 shall be proclaimed throughout the land, and lo, there will be peace that will last a thousand years."

If they can deliver a Making-Of CD like that, sign me up for Limited Edition.
                All syllogisms have three parts.
                Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  Ah well, what can I say, other than Sid's lurking about in the forums
                  Dont you realize, people.....Sid is....Yin!!!!

Comment

Heh, now that would be funny
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

But at least we have the proof of Sid visiting Apolyton forums on a regular basis.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

"Yin" 3 letters

"Sid" also 3 letters

Now, spell it backwards: DISNIY = DISNEY.

If anybody is curious about my next project, just keep that in mind. I'm amazed nobody noticed. I was hoping it would be more obvious. Well, I had you guys going a good, long while! Do you think I somehow "predicted" the golf game and Civ 3 limited edition? Those were HINTS to you guys as to what was coming, but nobody got it. Ah, well. It's hard to convey certain things via the Net.

By the way, all your help getting me to put that bear of a List together was OUTSTANDING! I knew if you thought you were giving suggestions to "Sid" himself that you guys would hold back instead of brainstorming. I look forward to making some official 'Thank You's closer to release time.

But I think the highlight was when I asked Markos to strip me of my moderatorship for reposting Jeff Morris' article about bugs. LOL! Didn't you guys think that made NO sense at the time? Well now you know why. I couldn't put in the time to moderate the forums, so I had to do something REMOTELY worth being stripped of the title. That one was the best I could think of. My thanks to Markos for being such a good sport and taking some heat.

In case anybody is wondering about the "old Yin" from SMAC days, he mailed me one day and apologized, saying he'd post under a new identity from then on and hoped I'd understand he was just trying to help. Of course I understood but asked if I could keep the name "Yin" to post under later on. We've both been having great laughs since.

I probably shouldn't have admitted to all this since I've never had such a good stress release in my life, and all of us here just got such great laughs at all of it, and you guys have been the best. Now that you know who I am, I guess I'll *really* have to post less now, eh?

P.S.: I wonder if anybody can guess WHICH kind of Disney game? Don't say Dinos...
                        Last edited by yin26; August 1, 2001, 08:08.

Comment

We're still working out the final details, but it'll come in a very nice tin with the game, manual, a "Making of Civ III" CD and some other cool stuff.

You mean we have to get LE to get the MANUAL?!!!!

Hehe, just kidding, i know what you meant.
                          -connorkimbro
                          "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                            I probably shouldn't have admitted to all this since I've never had such a good stress release in my life, and all of us here just got such great laughs at all of it, and you guys have been the best. Now that you know who I am, I guess I'll *really* have to post less now, eh?
                            He's joking, yeah?

P.S.: I wonder if anybody can guess WHICH kind of Disney game? Don't say Dinos...
                            Sleeping Beauty

Or more probably The Lion King
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

He's joking, yeah?
                              <
                              He's not

YIN = SID

Comment

Working...
                              X