Terrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrain

This new thread is intended to pull together some of the terrain specific matters which have been spread around the ecology thread, the military movement thread, the map AI thread and the map graphics thread. I am concerned here with specific terrain issues, and in particular how they are classified and coded for D5.

In the ecology thread (which is reaching the maximum number of posts) I tried to extend Simon's model to cover the bits required. My terrain list (slightly modified here) was:

1. Landform. This is the physical shape of the land. The categories I propose are: flat, rolling, broken, massif. Visible on map.

2. Material. What the land is made of: soil, sand, rock. Visible on map, unless covered.

3. Altitude. In metres, rounded to 100.

4. Landcover. None, crops, pasture, scrub, forest, jungle. Visible on map.

5. Climate. As specified by Simon. Not visible on map.

6. Watertable. Ocean, sea, mudflats, swamp, arid. The arid category covers the various types of desert.

Linear features can be superimposed. Natural ones:

7. Rivers.

8. Passes.

Human generated linear features:

9. Roads, including causeways.

10. Railroads.

11. Canals.

Other human artifacts:

12. Urban areas.

13. Settled areas (mainly affects movements - the area is full of minor roads.)

Considering these in detail, with a heavy focus on D5:

1. Landform.

1.1. Flat. The normal flat land. Standard for D5.

1.2. Rolling. Low hills or downs. Implemented in D5.

1.3. Broken. Rough hills. Not implemented in D5 (only for lack of a terrain tile).

1.4. Massif. Mountains. Implemented in D5.

2. Material.

2.1. Soil. Normal cultivable or pasture land. Implemented in D5.

2.2. Sand. Dune deserts. Not implemented in D5.

2.3. Rock. Mountains, rock deserts. Implemented as mountains in D5.

3. Altitude.

Not included in D5, though mountains can be assumed to be highish.

4. Landcover.

4.1. None. Bare (usually rock or sand). Found on mountains, no real implementation needed.

4.2. Crops. Cropped land, usually combined with settled land. Could be implemented in D5 using one (or more) of Fiera's farm tiles.

4.3. Pasture. Grazing land. May be in D5.

4.4. Scrub. Low vegetation of little commercial value. Not implemented in D5.

4.5. Forest. Wooded areas. Hopefully implemented in D5.

4.6. Jungle. Thick, generally impassible vegetation. Not implemented in D5.

5. Climate.

Not implemented in D5.

6. Watertable.

6.1. Ocean. Blue water. Not implemented in D5.

6.2. Sea. Coastal shallows.

6.3. Mudflats. Not implemented in D5.

6.4. Swamp.

6.5. Arid. Very dry land - deserts of various kinds. Not implemented in D5.

7. Rivers.

As a lone voice crying in the wilderness for rivers to run along square boundaries (which has oh so many advantages including that rivers could then be political boudaries, as the often are in real life), I propose to postpone rivers.

Not implemented in D5.

8. Passes.

Sadly, not implemented in D5.

9. Roads.

Not implemented in D5.

10. Railroads.

Not implemented in D5.

11. Canals.

Not implemented in D5.

12. Urban areas.

An important part of D5. Incidentally they will not affect movement, after all they are only a small part of the 10,000 km2 square.

13. Settled areas.

Could be implemented in D5 if a suitable terrain tile is availbale. Would be quite nice.

Cheers

Some further thoughts.

Mixed landforms

I didn't really answer Laurent's comments about mixed landforms.

The model I am proposing doesn't have mixed landforms. Each map square as one and only one landform type. However, there is nothing at all to prevent the introduction of a half hill, half flat terrain type, if it was really wanted. This would, in effect, provide for mixed landforms, and any necessary movement parameters could be set as required.

Mixed landcover

In an earlier post I said that I thought mixed landcover would be important. What I had in mind at the time was forest clearance.

I have changed my mind (having hit the coding side of it). It adds considerable complexity without a commensurate gain. If it is really required to have gradual forest clearance, then partial landcover types can be introduced (25% cleared, 50% cleared, 75% cleared, for example), using the same reasoning as for mixed landforms.

Cheers

Comment

Special Landforms

Special landforms include rare landforms that are virtually unique. These would include rift valleys, trenches, volcanoes (Large ones or particulary active ones), impact craters. These are not essential and may not show up on geologically stable worlds (Class L)
      Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
      Mitsumi Otohime
      Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

We can certainly forget mixed landcover for now... But I suspect it could be a problem at some point. But there are more important fish to fry at this point. I'm just warning you I may put in a bid for it at a later date.

What is the big issue on the coding side BTW?

My big reason for wanting it is that gradual economic development of a forested area without sizable outside resources will be almost impossible your way. "C'mon lads, lets start spending our hard-earned resources now so that in 350 years all of a sudden we'll get gobs 'o' farmland". This means nobody would ever do it! For a big civ its no problem 'cause you can get the same general effect by investing in one square after another. But for areas without centralized government it could make economic development ridiculously hard IMO.
        Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
        Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

The problem is that it requires maintenance of a weighting vector and an algorithm to calculate movement rates for mixed cover.

How about a compromise?

Two types only, one a forest type (natural cover) and one a cultivated or pasture type (agricultural cover) with a single parameter (0 to 100%) giving the proportion of the natural cover left. Movement times would be weighted similarly.

This wouldn't be too difficult to maintain.

It would need a minor mechansim to shift the parameter (presumably from 100 toward 0, though in a collapsed civilization situation it might go the other way).

In exchange, do I get edge rivers?

Cheers

Comment

Your compromise sounds reasonable to me. The swamp-to-dry land transition is also important. Watertable handles that in your proposal I guess. Do you have that transition covered, or do we need something similar to forest/farm for drainage?

Originally posted by Gary Thomas
            In exchange, do I get edge rivers?
            No chance!
            You just need to convince some others, I already said I was willing to give it a shot...
            A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Your compromise sounds reasonable to me. The swamp-to-dry land transition is also important. Watertable handles that in your proposal I guess. Do you have that transition covered, or do we need something similar to forest/farm for drainage?
              Forgot about that one. I wonder if the distinction between land cover and water table serves any purpose. They seem to be aspects of the same thing. If I combined them, the present model (which I have actually coded) would have it available already.

The only thing that would be lost is the possibility of forested swamp, as distinct from unforested swamp, and, frankly, I do not feel that will have any reasonable impact on the game. The cover/water table combinations are:
              • ocean or sea with anything
              • mudflats with anything
              • swamp with anything except forest
              • arid tends to imply little or no cover
              • crops implies no water
              • pasture implies no water
              • scrub could (like forest) combine with swamp
              • forest could combine with swamp
              • jungle, adding swamp wouldn't have much effect
              • and, of course, no cover - essentially not different from arid

So I think I will use the following combined list:
              • ocean
              • sea
              • mudflats
              • swamp (a sort of generic swamp)
              • nothing (equivalent to arid)
              • ice (forgot this in my previous posts)
              • crops
              • pasture
              • scrub
              • forest
              • jungle

Any step in the direction of simplicity is bound to get me enthusiastic.

Cheers

Comment

While I am on the simplifying kick, why not add the material as well. After all of the types I just listed, except "none", imply soil or no specific material (ocean for example) as the material. Adding the sand and rock options gives:
                • ocean
                • sea
                • mudflats
                • swamp (a sort of generic swamp)
                • nothing (equivalent to arid)
                • ice (forgot this in my previous posts)
                • crops
                • pasture
                • scrub
                • forest
                • jungle
                • dunes
                • stony desert

Have I missed anything?

Cheers

Comment

Savana/Plains

Tundra (differs from Ice)
                  Mitsumi Otohime
                  Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

Simplification is fine by me. But you need to get together with Simon and find an approach that seems to work out. I'll contribute to any discussion you two and others may have when I get a chance. Hopefully I'll be able to check in at least a few time while I'm on vacation.

Comment

Simplification is fine by me. But you need to get together with Simon and find an approach that seems to work out. I'll contribute to any discussion you two and others may have when I get a chance.
                      I would dearly love to get Simon's input, but he is lying low lately (apart from a quick message a week ago saying that he is back).

It is important to realize that the terrain factors I have been talking about are for the immediate purpose (D5). There is nothing in this system that prevents a more detailed breakdown, along the lines of:
                      • mudflates = soil, no cover, high water table
                      • swamp = soil, scrub cover, high water table
                      • dunes = sand, no cover, arid water table

Savana/Plains
                      Tundra (differs from Ice)
                      I suspect that savannah/plains is the same as pasture cover and tundra is the same as flat with no cover, but a cold climate.

Cheers

Comment

I suspect that savannah/plains is the same as pasture cover and tundra is the same as flat with no cover, but a cold climate.
                        You may be right on the Savana/Plains part (save there are usually trees in a savana and not in pastures/plains), but you are slightly off on tundra. There is cover, but it is sparse, mostly low with a few pine trees.
                        Last edited by Lord God Jinnai; July 22, 2001, 15:56.
                        Mitsumi Otohime

Comment

You may be right on the Savana/Plains part (save there are usually trees in a savana and not in pastures/plains), but you are slightly off on tundra. There is cover, but it is sparse, mostly low with a few pine trees.
                          There really isn't a category for low or sparse cover, though scrub might go close. In any case the distinguishing charateristic is the form of cover. I would really like to think that eventually we will have every reasonable type of cover available in the game.

Cheers

Comment

Hey Gary:

On getting Simon's input, if he's not available then he loses his chance for input... but you might want to say what you're doing here in the thread "Vegetation, Climate, Ecology, and Pollution" because he may only be checking that one when he does come to the site.

Comment

There isn't any conflict between the display terrain and the ecology model. The classes I have are displayable classes. They actually don't have anything in them right now, and are only used to determine movement. Soon (in the next few days) they will also have a pointer to the image to be used.

Each displayable class can be a composite of the factors I listed (based on Simon's model) in the ecology thread.

On a related topic, how are partial cover (27% forest, 73% crops) situations supposed to be displayed on the map?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X