Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using terraforming to make canals?

Has anyone ever tried to change the terrain.txt file
    to allow terraforming of shallow water tiles?

This would simulate building of canals and filling in land
    to gain additional space (ala the netherlands)

I've tried doing it, by adding flags, but they don't show up
    in the terraform section

I did it in CTP2, but I had to replace an existing button. I dont think that can be done in CTP. I tried adding tile improvements, and I had to use the sonar buoy icon and button.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

It would be difficult due to the land/beach/trench/deep water pattern. How did you get over this problem in CTP2? Does it have the same pattern of terrain, or did they revert to land/water as in Civ2.

In global warming swamps turn to water, so it's not beyond hope of success. (I am told flooded swaps retain their roads/RR/maglev, and that land units can traverse them. Does anyone know if this is true?)

I did this in many scenarios in Civ2, with engineer hovercraft, landfill barges and so forth. Things were much simpler then...

Comment

What about using Beach Tiles for the canals? They'd work fine.

Damn CTP....DAAAMN YOU!

You give me all kinds of kewl **** like undersea colonies, space colonies, even a fricking SPACE LADDER, but you forget
        a simple thing like digging a canal to cut sea travel time in half!

Comment

In global warming swamps turn to water, so it's not beyond hope of success. (I am told flooded swaps retain their roads/RR/maglev, and that land units can traverse them. Does anyone know if this is true?)
          Yes, this is true. This however might be solved with some slic-programming (yes/no has to come from "our" local programmers).

There is only one workaround for a canal and only IF the land barriere is one tile somewhere. Build a city(!) then you can use this as a canal (and your opponents can not) between two oceans or lake/ocean.
          First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
            It would be difficult due to the land/beach/trench/deep water pattern. How did you get over this problem in CTP2? Does it have the same pattern of terrain, or did they revert to land/water as in Civ2.
            It has the same pattern as CTP, but recognises it better. If I were to terraform a shallow water tile, it would turn into beach automatically. I figured canals wouldn't need to be 'deep' water. I don't know if this would work in CTP though
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
            X