Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMRAN: Public Beta?

Imran,

The latest Firaxis interview with Jeff Briggs says that they are in the balancing and testing phase, and yet I've heard nothing about a public beta or the beta-testing process at all for that matter. Have you?

With the number of new and (for the AI) complicated things being added, one can only hope that a dedicated team of veteran PLAYERS (not programmers) is doing the bulk of the testing and being given a great deal of attention regarding their feedback.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Well, on the official Civ3 site under askthecivteam one asked this question and they said (If I remember correctly) they are not ready yet for a public betatest
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Re: IMRAN: Public Beta?

Originally posted by yin26
      With the number of new and (for the AI) complicated things being added, one can only hope that a dedicated team of veteran PLAYERS (not programmers) is doing the bulk of the testing and being given a great deal of attention regarding their feedback.
      Whether this is wishful thinking or not; Im bumping this topic nevertheless.

Comment

If I was Firaxis I would be doing exactly what they're doing. Letting as little as possible information out. Do I like what they're doing? No, but it's what should be done from a buisness. They figure not having a public beta nobody will know if they like the game or not. Lets say 5 people from Apolyton are allowed to play the beta. The 5 people play the beta, then they come back here and start posting about how terrible the game is. If this would happen how many of you would still buy it? Firaxis will be much safer on selling the game with having nobody know that much about the game. Yeah, if the people do love the game they will gain a lot more customers. Firaxis I think will go with the safe route and not let anybody play the beta.
        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

In their own words (my editing..something I'm doing for Apolyton):

- Civilization 3 will probably have an Open Beta test. According to Jeff Morris (in his own words, “We probably WON’T be doing a closed beta test”.
          29th December 1999
          Jeff Morris on Apolyton

- Jeff Morris reiterated Firaxis’s commitment to an open beta. Mr. Morris stated, “Chances are we won’t be doing a closed public beta…”
          1st November 2000
          Jeff Morris on Apolyton
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
            Lets say 5 people from Apolyton are allowed to play the beta. The 5 people play the beta, then they come back here and start posting about how terrible the game is.
            I would bet if five people where asked to play the game, they will have a gag order, maybe with a contract or something writen so they could not talk about the game until Firaxis release them from that contract.

Comment

I would bet if five people where asked to play the game, they will have a gag order, maybe with a contract or something writen so they could not talk about the game until Firaxis release them from that contract.
              Yeah, that's probably true.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

actually, i recall an Apolyton thread some time ago indicating that several people were plucked from among our ranks...but i dont remember if it was for civ III or ctp II

Comment

Back before ctp was released, they had a public beta, and people dissappeared from the boards for a while.

from what i recall, just before the game was released, (or perhaps just after?) they all came back and told about how it went. From what i remember, they weren't really listened to that much. if firaxis does do a public beta, then the testers better damned well be listened to. . and that could add months to the game, depending on how things go.

seems like it's getting too close to the supposed deadline for that though.
                  -connorkimbro
                  "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Firaxis does not need a public beta test. They have the most anticipated TBS game ever, so there is no promotional/marketing reason to public beta. Firaxis may be commited to a public beta, but is the marketing department of their parent company

The only reason for them to consider public beta testing is for system compatibility. Considering there are so many versions of Windows out there(95, 98, 98SE, ME, and XP) with cpus from 266Mhz thru 1GHz+, they may want to see if the game actually plays on a 266Mhz-32MB-Win95 machine.
                    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

no promotional/marketing reason
                      How about the quality of the end product? Ooops. There I go dreaming again...
                      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

if thety gave 5 people a closed beta (even though we have 2 quotes denying it), SOMEONE ::glances around:: could hook me up with it and i'd make sure it went public.

"I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

And that, Kruxie, is the reason that you're on Firaxis' "never give this man a beta" list.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

mmm..butting in on somebody's elses presentation.

Is it possible to do something like a short term beta? So that I won't have to lose that much sleep? Maybe like one month just to broaden the input or something...
                            I not only dream in colour, I dream in 32-bit colour.

Comment

Working...
                            X