The problem for native English speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem for native English speakers

An interesting article from the BBC mentioning that native English speakers can be quite incomprehensible o non-native speakers.

In a room full of non-native speakers, ‘there isn’t any chance of understanding’. It might be their language, but the message is often lost

We English speakers do have some "communication difficulties. I found it a very interesting read even though I already know that slang should not be used when talking to foreigners because they are not likely to understand the finer poins of mangled English.

Not much point calling you lot a bunch of galoots. You wouldn't know what I meant. (Ricketyclik would know).

To talk to foreigners you just have to talk really loudly and slowly with wild hand gestures. Then there is no way they can misunderstand.

Comment

YES, THAT IS HOW YOU TALK TO THE FOREIGNERS, LOUDLY SO THEY CAN UNDERSTAND.

IF STILL DON"T UNDERSTAND TALK EVEN LOUDER

Comment

especially true if speaking greek

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
          especially true if speaking greek
          It's all Greek to me. You galoot.

Comment

it all came down to one word.. but we won't tell you which one. Thanks BBC..

Have a poem instead

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

If they still don't understand, learn the foreign language, it will be easier.
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Fortunately, I speak American, so this isn't a problem for me.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                X