No announcement yet.

I'm barely even Middle Eastern. WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was your answer to question 9 on the 2010 census form, GC?
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Why does it matter?

Ming said move on. So let's just drop it.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

So rather than me having a South European ancestor, it's also likely that the same genetic signals exist in both South European and Arab populations and that the test, likely because it has a smaller sample of Arab genes, is assigning them to South European?
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Um.. Well I wouldn't much stock into the test. You can't determine ethnic background through DNA testing.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
            Um.. Well I wouldn't much stock into the test. You can't determine ethnic background through DNA testing.
            That can't be right. It successfully identified my mother's Eastern European origins. It doesn't make sense to dismiss it entirely. How did it get that right if there isn't some basis for this? It also identified that my father has at least some Middle Eastern ancestry.

It's gotten enough right that there's just no way it's a scam.

Maybe assigning 9.6% to Italian is too granular but there's apparently a big chunk of the genes I inherited from my father which exist in Southern European populations. I'm inclined to think that is more likely than that the whole result is bunk!

I can also set it to a more conservative confidence level (which they describe as 90%).

In this case, my numbers look like this:
            European: 55.9%
            Middle Eastern: 0.6%
            East Asian: 0.1%
            Unassigned: 43.4%

And these more confidently identified European genes appear on both chromosomes for 21/22 chromosome pairs; meaning that there's likely European ancestry on both sides of my family.
            Last edited by Al B. Sure!; October 29, 2016, 22:38.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Mant of the genes around the med are going to be shared just from ancient times. The divergence didn't start happening until the Islamic conquests and even then there was a fair amount of gene exchange from slaving, wars, and what not. So, yes, some of the southern European genes are probably common in the mideast. The Ottoman Empire enjoyed taking male slaves from Christian areas and raising them as muslims so you probably also get a fair amount of gene flow from that.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yea thats really the main problem with this type of test. You can't isolate a set of genes to one region.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  Mant of the genes around the med are going to be shared just from ancient times. The divergence didn't start happening until the Islamic conquests and even then there was a fair amount of gene exchange from slaving, wars, and what not. So, yes, some of the southern European genes are probably common in the mideast. The Ottoman Empire enjoyed taking male slaves from Christian areas and raising them as muslims so you probably also get a fair amount of gene flow from that.
                  Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
                  Yea thats really the main problem with this type of test. You can't isolate a set of genes to one region.
                  So what you're saying is my ancestors could have come from Southern Europe?

I'm really not understanding why I should disbelieve this test.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    That can't be right. It successfully identified my mother's Eastern European origins. It doesn't make sense to dismiss it entirely. How did it get that right if there isn't some basis for this? It also identified that my father has at least some Middle Eastern ancestry.

It's gotten enough right that there's just no way it's a scam.

Maybe assigning 9.6% to Italian is too granular but there's apparently a big chunk of the genes I inherited from my father which exist in Southern European populations. I'm inclined to think that is more likely than that the whole result is bunk!

I can also set it to a more conservative confidence level (which they describe as 90%).

In this case, my numbers look like this:
                    European: 55.9%
                    Middle Eastern: 0.6%
                    East Asian: 0.1%
                    Unassigned: 43.4%

And these more confidently identified European genes appear on both chromosomes for 21/22 chromosome pairs; meaning that there's likely European ancestry on both sides of my family.
                    Alby, can you record this poast in Vocaroo and share it with us, for old times sake?
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
                      Alby, can you record this poast in Vocaroo and share it with us, for old times sake?
                      Breferably sboken with a heavy Arabic accent, blease?
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Giancarlo is whiter than Alby

Comment

American rootless agony and nazi stratification never ceases to be both hilarious as well as educational

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                            Giancarlo is whiter than Alby

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                              American rootless agony and nazi stratification never ceases to be both hilarious as well as educational
                              Don't get all pissy just because you are half Turkish.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Point proven.

Comment

Working...
                                X