Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A modern artistic genius has died

Jack Chick, April 13, 1924 – October 23, 2016

Fittingly, he died shortly before his favorite holiday, Halloween. Now he'll get to have a corny conversation with Satan of his very own.

HAW HAW HAW!
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

It couldn't ha e happened to a better person.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Oh ... no new Chick tracts from now on
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Man, I could never remember whether or not Chick tracts were satire.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
          Oh ... no new Chick tracts from now on
          Not for long. BK, it's time to take one for the team. Get your Catholic ass on e-mail and send that man's website an affidavit testifying that your school's principal is a lizardman. If you can work Hitler in there somehow too, so much the better.
          1011 1100

Comment

I didn't kow about him and had to wiki the guy.
            Blah

Comment

Probably because your country has laws against telling absurd lies about the Holocaust. Over here, we just read them and cackle. In Chick's specific case, there's an argument to be made for either approach.
              1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                Probably because your country has laws against telling absurd lies about the Holocaust. Over here, we just read them and cackle. In Chick's specific case, there's an argument to be made for either approach.
                Even here one might occasionally get them.
                Happened to a colleague of mine, a long time ago, while he had a walk in the city park.
                Funny enough it was the german version of one of chicks tracts against evolution and it happened at the time when he (and myself) were studying biology
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Had to google him like others. Yeah, his cartoons are quite funny, but you probably need to be a stern beliver to be offended or for that matter interested in the jokes. That doesn't really tick over here but it probably pisses of a lot of americans that belive the word of the bible is indisputable.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

??

BC, I think something maybe got lost between cultures here. Those comics are/were not intended as jokes. The man very earnestly and sincerely believed every last word he wrote, even the parts that blatantly contradicted each other or failed to make basic sense in terms of motivations. He legitimately believed that Dungeons and Dragons was an initiation to Satanism, that the Roman Catholic Church invented Islam, Freemasonry, and the Holocaust, and that . . . okay, possibly he did not actually believe that the devil incarnates as a pumpkin-headed man every Halloween and runs around chainsawing teenagers. But he did not consider the idea too preposterous to print in a propaganda tract. That's where the humor comes from. It's all meant to be deadly serious, and in fact convincing.
                    1011 1100

Comment

The man very earnestly and sincerely believed every last word he wrote, even the parts that blatantly contradicted each other or failed to make basic sense in terms of motivations.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	bible.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	9102989
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

??

BC, I think something maybe got lost between cultures here.
                        Nah, don't think so - just that I had no idea that the guy was a nutcase. As I said, I didn't know him and had to google - didn't bother to read, just watched cartoons wich looked like someone making ridicule of religion (and maybe had a little weird fantasy).
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                          Nah, don't think so - just that I had no idea that the guy was a nutcase. As I said, I didn't know him and had to google - didn't bother to read, just watched cartoons wich looked like someone making ridicule of religion (and maybe had a little weird fantasy).
                          Well. For him and the christian fundamentalists who order his tracts, they are serious attempts at getting people to convert to "the only true faith" (tm)

For everyone else his tracts are a genuine source of amusement

Here my 3 favorite ones:

Dark Dungeons (about the dangers of D&D ... why the heck didn't I get invited to a magic coven when I reached level 8? And why level 8? In classical D&D you reach name level at level 9 )

Evolution (IIRC actually the one of which my colleague got the german version handed)

What happened to the dinosaurs after the flood?
                          (But AFAIK he never cared about the big question ... how to get all those dinosaurs onto the ark )

Comment

I checked some of those documents and now I'm outraged about the subtle atheist propaganda in there

Several times they rely on something along the lines of "And God should know, he was there".

Let's examine the true meaning of this:

It tries to get the msg across that God knows stuff because he was there (as opposed to so-called scientists who just make up stuff after the fact). But God is omniscient!! He does not need any frigging form of presence to know stuff! Implying that he does puts him basically on the same level as any other mortal being, just with the little diff that he happened to be around when the dinos died or somesuch...
                            Blah

Comment

Well, God is usually described as also being omnipresent. He was there, but he was also here and in the sun and at McDonald's, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X