Panhandlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhandlers

It seems as if recently there has been a sharp increase in the number of panhandlers in my locale. Especially at a specific corner(rte 50 and Waples mIll in Fairfax County for those in the DC Area who are curious), where I have literally seen what I assume to be a shift change with a minivan picking one guy up and dropping a gal off.

Does anyone here give panhandlers money? Why would there be a sudden jump in a very wealthy area, is it as simple as the upper-middle class giving more money out? What are your panhandling experiences?

I'm just venting here.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

I'll sometimes reward those that put up some effort (musicians) or those with a good "act". There's a guy on the Michigan Ave Bridge in Chicago that plays a mean sax. Another one playing the sax can be found in the subway station at Clark Street. Both of them are worth some money.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ming, you are more-or-less describing buskers. I definitely have given money to buskers, but panhandlers, if I feel they are real and they catch me in a good mood, will get food or coffee from me, never any money.

The exception is when I'm traveling and have Turkish liri or American dimes and quarters to get rid of, then the last beggar before the airport/train station/etc. will get a handful of change.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I've given money to "panhandlers" as well. But they have to have a good "story" and they have to earn the money. Somebody who just sits there with a lame sign and barely speaks isn't getting a penny
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

i give money to buskers, as long as they are good and put some effort in; and in fact there are often good buskers in my neighbourhood, including a super jazz band a couple of weeks ago whose CD i bought. there are some guys and girls on the rio de janeiro metro, however, who just play one or perhaps two short songs, usually very indifferently, and then come round with a hat looking hopeful. they don't get anything.

i never give money to beggars.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Some of the music guys are surprisingly good. Some others just stand in some corner with a portable tape/disc thingie in a bag nearby playing stuff, with the guy in front just pressing keys on a synthesizer appearantly...

My favourite was one guy in the subway yrs ago who did recite classical poems rewritten so they were telling stories from his life - that was quite entertaiing, and ppl were giving him a lot since he was good.
            Blah

Comment

I work above Union Station in Chicago and walk around the building for stretching during the day. I see the same guys with the same "I need money to get home" and other one time stories every day. There is no way I'm giving them any money. I saw a van pull up once and drop off a pair of hard luck looking kids for a guy playing the homeless dad. They're getting quit sophisticated. The interviewed one guy that commutes from the burbs to panhandle on Michigan Ave, and claims to make 70K a year. Sometime if I hear a real good story or their hardship looks really bad. I may give something, but those occasions are VERY rare. The guys that are hustling are a bit different. Sometimes I'll give them something for the effort.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I can't give away parts of my check card, so they get nothing.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                  Why would there be a sudden jump in a very wealthy area
                  Like Jesse James, they go where the money is.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I have a hard time turning down someone that wants coffee.
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                      I work above Union Station in Chicago and walk around the building for stretching during the day. I see the same guys with the same "I need money to get home" and other one time stories every day. There is no way I'm giving them any money. I saw a van pull up once and drop off a pair of hard luck looking kids for a guy playing the homeless dad. They're getting quit sophisticated. The interviewed one guy that commutes from the burbs to panhandle on Michigan Ave, and claims to make 70K a year. Sometime if I hear a real good story or their hardship looks really bad. I may give something, but those occasions are VERY rare. The guys that are hustling are a bit different. Sometimes I'll give them something for the effort.
                      I make almost as much surfing the internet 4 hours a day.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                      X