Oh dear, the kids are fascist . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear, the kids are fascist . . .

TLDR: millennials are kind of lukewarm on this whole democracy thing. In 2011, for example, 24% of Americans born after 1980 thought democracy was a bad way to run their country. Only 32% think protection of civil rights is absolutely essential for a democracy. 26% think it's unimportant that people choose their leaders in free elections. Etc.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

There is no human on the planet as nerdy as Elok.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

The good thing is none of them vote until they decide democracy is important.

Comment

I'd guess it's because without Nationalism binding people together people's viewpoints tend to diverge. We've reached a point that most people want someone else in charge. If it was just that it wouldn't be so bad but they really don't get any real representation. I don't need to explain first-past-the-post and for "proportional" the need to for a government to form is a de facto second election where there can only be one winner (expect for that weird Danish system where a center right or left party is allowed to run the country without getting to 50%).
        “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

Expect to see more of it, the further we get from the WW2 generation. Authoritarian forms of government tend to be pretty attractive to a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
            There is no human on the planet as nerdy as Elok.
            Surely you jest.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I've said this before, but I'm not necessarily a fan of democracy. Consent of the governed is key, but that doesn't mean the collective decision of the governed is always the best one for the governed. To be a little less vague, everyone should absolutely get to choose the society they want to live in, but there's nothing wrong with people choosing to live in a society where only scientists (or lawyers, or AIs, or reality TV show hosts) make the decisions. As long as everyone retains the right to rescind their consent, there's nothing in principle tyrannical about such a society. (There may be in practice, but in practice democracy can be tyrannical as well.)
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I tend to agree with you Lori.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  http://journalofdemocracy.org/sites/...Mounk-27-3.pdf

TLDR: millennials are kind of lukewarm on this whole democracy thing. In 2011, for example, 24% of Americans born after 1980 thought democracy was a bad way to run their country. Only 32% think protection of civil rights is absolutely essential for a democracy. 26% think it's unimportant that people choose their leaders in free elections. Etc.
                  Luckily a majority think otherwise. I try to look at things in the best light possible. Most young people are for civil rights... they just need to be more engaged imho.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

OzzyKP would be spinning in his dotage.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Democracy should be replaced with Demarchy representatives with a five year term and annual refreshes of 20% of the representatives.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                        OzzyKP would be spinning in his dotage.
                        What's happened to him, btw? Logan's Run?
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                          I've said this before, but I'm not necessarily a fan of democracy. Consent of the governed is key, but that doesn't mean the collective decision of the governed is always the best one for the governed. To be a little less vague, everyone should absolutely get to choose the society they want to live in, but there's nothing wrong with people choosing to live in a society where only scientists (or lawyers, or AIs, or reality TV show hosts) make the decisions. As long as everyone retains the right to rescind their consent, there's nothing in principle tyrannical about such a society. (There may be in practice, but in practice democracy can be tyrannical as well.)
                          Thats pure BS

Real democracy is that people vote on the parties with the right opinions because all the other parties are undemocratic. What is correct of course change depending on wich party winls
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Lori's system is still democratic. (And with amendments we already have such a system.)

Comment

Not exactly. Lori would allow free secession and I don't know of any system that allows that.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X